• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

What's most important about an airgun to you?

Started by quickster47 †, January 25, 2013, 03:05:11 PM

quickster47 †

What are the three most important things about any airgun to you?

Talking about your favorite airgun or maybe even one you covet or one you have seen somewhere on the net or in person.

Mine are:
1) It has to look just right.  Have that certain appeal to me, aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.
2) It has to shoot accurately.  Not that I can necessarily use it to its full potential.
3) ???

Carl

Actually I could only come up with two but I thought three might be better for everyone.

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

You really cannot argue against the cornerstone traits of form and function. A third area I have been thinking about lately is the power plant. My current affection is with guns that have a self-contained power plant like MSP and SSP. I am put off by the constant fiddling one needs to do with PCPs, and much prefer to cock and shoot without regards to shot strings, fill pressures, fine tuning, etc.
Larry

quickster47 †

Quote from: breakfastchef on January 25, 2013, 03:12:27 PM
A third area I have been thinking about lately is the power plant. My current affection is with guns that have a self-contained power plant like MSP and SSP. I am put off by the constant fiddling one needs to do with PCPs, and much prefer to cock and shoot without regards to shot strings, fill pressures, fine tuning, etc.

Larry I really like your third point and would like to make that mine as well.  I really like the self-contained concept and that it really makes them weather independent. Also much easier to take somewhere and shoot.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

To add to that, Carl, I may have viewed PCP differently if I had a grand or so invested into tanks and a Shoebox Compressor. Filling when doing extensive shot strings with a Hill Pump is a royal PIA. In a hunting situation, one would not need to constantly refill the gun, but you do need to do so when 'playing'. For now, I am very happy in Beeman (Weihrauch) land.

Let me know if there is much fiddling with the FWB. I would guess not since it has one purpose and gets oodles of shots per fill.

Quote from: quickster47 on January 25, 2013, 03:17:57 PM
Larry I really like your third point and would like to make that mine as well.  I really like the self-contained concept and that it really makes them weather independent. Also much easier to take somewhere and shoot.

Carl
Larry

droid

Form every time, made up from classic well engineered parts. RJ, Grant etc..

I build more than shoot, so I like mine to look pretty. Rather like someone into classic cars I suppose.
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Pikie

I hope you all don't mind a new air gunners opinion. After close to 40 years of hunting and various competitive firearm shooting, I have to say my air gun has the same requirements. #1 - Dependable. Not going off in a competition is a zero. It also ruins your mental game as you worry about it happening again. #2 - Accuracy. There are guns that don't shoot better than the shooter! I've never had one! But you get my point. #3 - Well Made. From the wealth of information I have found on this fourm in the past month it is clear that there are well made air guns that are inexpensive, just as there are mediocre ones that are very expensive. Thanks, Vince
Vince

AS13

1) Accuracy
2) Dependability
3) Well Made
4) Availability of replacement parts (including modified parts)
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

HappyHunter

For me it's:

1) Accuracy. The best looking gun in the world is pretty much useless if you can't hit what you're aiming at.
2) Fit/form. I have arms like an ape and rather large hands, so some pistols have too small of a grip for me to feel comfortable enough to shoot accurately. Same goes for rifles - is the LOP long enough? Too heavy or light?
3) Dependability/parts availability. Do I have to worry about xxxx part breaking or wearing out prematurely? (usually happens at the worst times!) If a part does fail, is a replacement readily available?

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

BDS

Thanks to the winter time (mostly) I'm really in to the Self-contained guns more than ever and a good trigger and barrel and clean and serious looks or components.

Here's two of the latest acquisitions to go along with the 2289s and 13XXs that have been gettin a workout in the wintertime garage 10 meter range...
Brian

AS13

Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

DaveB50

#1 Dependability - it's no good if it doesn't go off when you pull the trigger. >:(
#2 Accuracy - ditto if you can't hit where you aim. :-[
#3 Power - it has to do be able to get the job done. 8)
It doesn't hurt if it looks good while doing the above. :-*
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

BigErn

Very, very good points gentlemen  :-* :-*

Right now for me:

#1 It has to capture my eye, good looking
#2 I like simple things I can work on and get parts for easily and also modify
#3 Accuracy and reliability

I too am fond of self contained units such as pumpers, I also like Co2  :) 

arkmaker †

That's a loaded question for me!
Different moods = different guns = different expectations.
1) Fun
2) Accurate
3) quiet

Guess that sums it up  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chongman

1) It's mine, looks like no other shooter's air gun

2) Trigger pull...short,light, and crisp

3) Accurate, so when I can't hit what I aim at it's just me
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Motorhead

Quite simply .....  ;)
1) Sufficient power / velocity for that guns most accurate pellet.
2) GREAT trigger without creep or roughness.
3) Must FIT Hands or Shoulder up correctly with correct LOP and Cheek weld.
* Accuracy is a given and need not be in a top 3 requirement IMO ... for if guns not accurate the other stuff just don't matter !!
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg