• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Anyone use Eyepal that could give me a measurement?

Started by Tater, January 26, 2013, 09:31:37 PM

Tater

Before spending $20+ dollars for some, I thought I make something similar to see if will work for me. I was thinking of using one of those press on/peel off window or mirror thing-a -ma-jigs. For example, my wife sticks snowflakes on the bathroom mirror for Christmas.
If someone can please tell me the size of the hole in the pistol Eyepal, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

JEBert

Experiment with different sizes for different conditions.  The smaller the aperture, the more it sharpens depth-of-field but the more it limits the amount of light it lets reach your eye (put a bright light on your target).  I think I have a piece of electrician's tape on a pair of safety glasses with a 3/32" hole if it.  It worked pretty well for what I was doing with it.
Edit to add:  Hunting apertures start around .062 up to .100" and some even get up to ghost ring sizes but they don't help much with the focus when they get much over .100".  Target apertures are usually around .050".
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Fronzdan

Be sure to punch a nice clean circle and they'll work well.

Tater

Thanks guys, but I was hoping to make it the same size as the Eyepal so I would know if I should buy them. A piece of tape or somethingelse would just be to test out.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

chongman

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Tater

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

quickster47 †

I think this was posted before in another thread but here it is again.

I just ordered a Merit Optical Attachment for my shooting glasses.  The thing that I really like about it is the adjustable aperature which comes in so handy.

By increasing the shooter's eyes' depth of field, this device eliminates blurry sights and targets providing the shooter with a clear sight picture.

Works with bifocals, trifocals, and safety glasses.
Attaches with a non-scratch suction cup.
Lightweight under 1/5 oz.
Aperture varies from .022 in. to .156 in. diameter.
Pivots out of way when not shooting.
Works great with rifles that have open sights, perfect for muzzleloaders.
Works with red dots, restores image to a crisp dot.
Promotes consistent hold by keeping your head and sights aligned the same shot after shot.
Fast getting on target since it is on your glasses rather than your pistol.
No gunsmithing required.
Compact: stores in 1" x 1" x 1" box.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JEBert

Jerry
NRA Life Member

quickster47 †

Quote from: JEBert on January 28, 2013, 02:25:57 AM
Someday... :)

Does that mean someday when your eyes get as bad as mine for target shooting?

I guess when you are younger and have good eyesight you never think about what happens to your eyes as you grow older.  Sigh...

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JEBert

No, it means that I am being optimistic about the future of my bank account.
I guess I still have pretty good eyesight.  I'm only wearing +1.50 readers at 58.  I do have trouble with iron sights but I also like rear peeps so that does help some.  When the red dots get too bright, they have too much flare (in either eye) to be accurate for target shooting but they are not really meant for that.  My BSA does that on its lowest setting.  My Leapers has a green dot that works OK for me on its lowest setting.
I guess my eyes are just like the rest of me and if I had ever thought I would live to be 40, I would have taken better care of myself.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

Tater

Thanks for posting that Carl, I hadn't seen that before and I'll look into those.

Quote from: JEBert on January 28, 2013, 05:45:33 AM
I guess I still have pretty good eyesight.  I'm only wearing +1.50 readers at 58.  I do have trouble with iron sights but I also like rear peeps so that does help some.  When the red dots get too bright, they have too much flare (in either eye) to be accurate for target shooting but they are not really meant for that.  My BSA does that on its lowest setting.  My Leapers has a green dot that works OK for me on its lowest setting.
I guess my eyes are just like the rest of me and if I had ever thought I would live to be 40, I would have taken better care of myself.
Cheers,

Ditto on all of those points JEBert. Except during daylight, the red dot is like looking at the sun.
With these bifocals, I have to tilt my head back to even get close to focusing. It's not the ideal way to shoot. I tried the stock peep sights on my 1377 the other day and it really didn't help much.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

quickster47 †

Quote from: JEBert on January 28, 2013, 05:45:33 AM
Cheers,

Couldn't agree with you more except about the age, and I'm 65.  :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

RC1947

I purchased an EyePal, but found that it doesn't work very well for me. RC

breakfastchef

That is too bad, RC. I use mine periodically and find that they need good lighting and perfect positioning of the aperture. They do a very good job of keeping my near sight picture much more in focus. The fellow that makes these said some people are using two - one on each lens - with very good results.

Quote from: RC1947 on January 28, 2013, 03:05:06 PM
I purchased an EyePal, but found that it doesn't work very well for me. RC
Larry

KevinP

The eye pal works great for me ( 63 )  getting old is not for sissies ... :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York