• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Creating a baseline with a new 1377

Started by Mcoulter, January 31, 2013, 06:29:21 PM

Mcoulter

I now own an unmodified 1377 and am looking forward to putting some pellets through her.  I want to be deliberate in how I shoot and what I try.   So I'm hoping that I can get some input from you folks regarding some of these basics...

1) Shooting distance:  Is 10 meters a good starting point or should I start closer?  I only shoot outdoors for the time being so wind will be a factor.

2) Shooting rest: I want to take "me" out of the equation as much as possible.  Can someone describe how to best use sandbags as rest?  Sorry this sounds so dumb as I write it...  But do you rest the pistol from the under the grip or from under the barrel?

3) Number of pumps:  Hoping for the best accuracy is there a specific number or method of pumping that's typically "best"?  I'm hoping for consistency not necessarily power.

4) Sight picture & hold:  I'm left-eye dominant but right-handed.  Please tell me if my natural tendency of holding the pistol with my right hand but using my left eye for targeting is a bad idea.  I guess I could try to use my right (non-dominant) eye but that certainly does not come naturally.

5) Groups:  When shooting my air rifle (and 22LR for that matter...) tend to shoot in 5-shot groups.  Is that standard for pistols?  Also for a "newbie" to air pistols with a basic 1377 shot from a rest what size groups would I try to achieve various distances (5m, 10m, etc.)?

6) Pellet selection:  I already have a good variety of pellets from shooting my RWS 34 (which is Queen of pellet-picky rifles).  I have RWS Superdomes, RWS Hobby, CPHP and sampler packs from JSB and RWS.  Any suggestions on which to start with?  Generally what weight and head is preferred in a 1377?

Thanks in advance!

arkmaker †

1) mark off both 5M and 10M (then join in the comps)
2) whatever is most comfortable for you. experiment. I use the pump arm rested on the bag or rest.
3) experiment. I used 5 and some use 2 and still others use 7, 8 9, 10, etc... What works best for you is best.
4) I don't know what to say about #4
5) I shoot 5 and 10 shot groups when practicing. Comps require various shot group numbers depending on the comp rules.
6) every gun is different. hate to sound like a broken record, but you need to experiment with all of them. Weight? more experimenting!

Most importantly, you have given yourself a bunch of excuses to get out and shoot!!!!  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: Mcoulter on January 31, 2013, 06:29:21 PM
I now own an unmodified 1377 and am looking forward to putting some pellets through her.  I want to be deliberate in how I shoot and what I try.   So I'm hoping that I can get some input from you folks regarding some of these basics...

1) Shooting distance:  Is 10 meters a good starting point or should I start closer?  I only shoot outdoors for the time being so wind will be a factor.

2) Shooting rest: I want to take "me" out of the equation as much as possible.  Can someone describe how to best use sandbags as rest?  Sorry this sounds so dumb as I write it...  But do you rest the pistol from the under the grip or from under the barrel?

3) Number of pumps:  Hoping for the best accuracy is there a specific number or method of pumping that's typically "best"?  I'm hoping for consistency not necessarily power.

4) Sight picture & hold:  I'm left-eye dominant but right-handed.  Please tell me if my natural tendency of holding the pistol with my right hand but using my left eye for targeting is a bad idea.  I guess I could try to use my right (non-dominant) eye but that certainly does not come naturally.

5) Groups:  When shooting my air rifle (and 22LR for that matter...) tend to shoot in 5-shot groups.  Is that standard for pistols?  Also for a "newbie" to air pistols with a basic 1377 shot from a rest what size groups would I try to achieve various distances (5m, 10m, etc.)?

6) Pellet selection:  I already have a good variety of pellets from shooting my RWS 34 (which is Queen of pellet-picky rifles).  I have RWS Superdomes, RWS Hobby, CPHP and sampler packs from JSB and RWS.  Any suggestions on which to start with?  Generally what weight and head is preferred in a 1377?

Thanks in advance!

Short answers for now cause I'm on my iPad.

1) 5 meters is good to start with.

2) You can buy a good rifle/pistol rest but you can also fill a sock with rice and use it for a long time. I rest mine on the foregrip.

3) 3 to 5 pumps is good.

4) if you are using the OEM sights then whatever is most comfortable for your shooting style.  I would suggest the Sub 6 view with the OEM sights.

5) 3, 5, or 10 shot groups are all good.  Check out our monthly competitions for some shooting target ideas.

6) For paper punching 99% of my pellet use is wadcutters. They just give better/cleaner holes. For plinking I use whatever I have available.

This is just me, others will chime in later.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

KevinP

that is not a problem .. I am also left eye dominant and right handed ( well for shooting )  ... just keep your head strait at the target and hold the gun ifo your left eye ...
Kevin
Albany, New York

RC1947

Since you have them, the RWS Hobby pellets are a good place to start.  I've found them to be reliable in all my pistols. RC

Brent

Rice in a sock as a rest - what a Great idea!  :)

What does - Sub 6 view - mean?

Mcoulter

Thanks to everyone for the great replies and suggestions.  And I'm wondering this too:

Quote from: Brent on February 01, 2013, 04:26:30 AM
What does - Sub 6 view - mean?

breakfastchef

Quote from: Mcoulter on February 01, 2013, 02:31:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great replies and suggestions.  And I'm wondering this too:

The six o'clock hold is another term for this. When shooting a 10M target, the sights are aligned so the bottom of the black area of the target containing the bullseye is sitting atop the front sight at the 6 o'clock position. Search it on the Web for a better explanation.
Larry

Mcoulter

Thanks Larry, I'm an IT guy and our mantra is "why don't our %*!& users just Google it?"  Soooo I'll admit my guilt here...

Two minutes of Googling brought me to this page where it describes four different ways of sighting very well:

http://www.ocabj.net/sight-picture-a-primer/

breakfastchef

Quote from: Mcoulter on February 01, 2013, 03:04:26 PM
Thanks Larry, I'm an IT guy and our mantra is "why don't our %*!& users just Google it?"  Soooo I'll admit my guilt here...

Two minutes of Googleing brought me to this page where it describes four different ways of sighting very well:

http://www.ocabj.net/sight-picture-a-primer/

Nice find! Since most Crosman 13xx/22xx pistols shoot a tad high out of the box with OEM sights, the 6 o'clock hold is ideal to overcome this trait. If you shoot various targets, the center hold is probably the better option.
Larry

KevinP

I have always been a proponent of center hold .... aim at what your shooting at ....   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Brent

birdmove

The 1377 I recently bought likes Crosman Premier wadcutters. Also Crosman Premier hollow points. Try the RWS Hobbys also. They shoot really well in most of my pellet guns. I use the 6:00 hold and it works well, as the pellet shoots a bit high. The targets I'm using it puts the pellet center in the bull. My gun shoots real well with 3 pumps, so that's what I use. Less pumping and less stress on the gun.