• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

new 1377 and problem with Gamo Hunters

Started by birdmove, February 05, 2013, 09:21:48 PM

birdmove

Got a brand new 1377 from Amazon for $39.99 and have been having fun shooting it for a few weeks now. Quite accurate with Crosman Premier wadcutters and hollow points. I tried shooting Gamo Match pellets and they were fair and everything functioned fine. I had a small tin of Gamo Hunters and tried some and had problems. About half the time I would go to shoot (using 3 pumps) and the gun would go off but the pellet would not leave the barrel. It was very quiet as if there wasn't enough air pressure. I would then repump it, recock the bolt, and it would fire. This happened 2-3 times so I went back to other pellets and it shot normally. I lube the pump area where there is a seal often. I haven't taken a micrometer to some of these pellets yet. I suspect the Gamo Hunters, at least some of them, are undersized, so some of the air is blowing by the pellet and it can't leave the barrel. I put a drop of Pellgunoil on the seal and proceeded to fire some fine groups with the 2 Crosman Premier pellets mentioned above.
    Anyone had this happen maybe with a bad batch of pellets??

Jon

JEBert

My 1377 shoots all of the pellets you mentioned OK but the Gamo Hunters had the worse accuracy of them all.  May be the same reason yours wouldn't shoot just not as severe.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

brz-ryder †

Maybe to the gamo`s are bigger try upping your number of pumps try 5 instead of 3 see what happens IMO

jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

Crosshairs

I had the same problem with the crosman pointed pellets if i remember right the skirt was much wider making a tighter fit and needed more power to get it out of the barrel.
          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

I think Crosshairs may be right on this. If the pellet fits too tight, you are going to need more air pressure behind it to send it out the barrel. Don't use them anymore becuase they inhale.

Quote from: Crosshairs on February 05, 2013, 10:20:54 PM
I had the same problem with the crosman pointed pellets if i remember right the skirt was much wider making a tighter fit and needed more power to get it out of the barrel.
          Mike
Larry

jSan22

I rarely ever bother with less than 10 pumps. there's a reason. 10 ensures everything I fire is going to come out unless there's a problem.
ive used the hunters. they are fairly accurate but have a odd fit. I think the were better made for spring guns. that could be the reason they jammed up in your gun.
I'd reccomend the full power charge when shooting hunters.

JEBert

I tried every # of pumps with each pellet I tried.  I don't remember how many pumps had the most accurate group with the Gamo Hunters but it was not accurate enough with any # of pumps for me to bother finishing the tin.  On the other hand, Gamo Match pellets give me pretty small groups in my 1377.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

birdmove

Funny you should mention the Gamo Match pellets. I've had some pretty good results with them, but never like tonight. I have a Remington Airmaster 77 with a Leapers 4 power scope that I was shooting tonight. I got some very nice 3 shot cloverleafs from a bench at 10 yards and, again, 3 pumps. As dusk was coming I shot one last group. Again, 3 shots. This was the best group easily of the night. And it ties the best group I ever shot with an air rifle (that one was a Crosman Custom Shop 2400 CO2 carbine scoped). 3 shots in one pellet hole just the size of a .177 pellet with no elongation. Not too bad for a 59 year old with eyesight problems.
    I've got some fine groups with the 1377 and a Crosman 357 CO2 shooter, both with open sights and benched too. I've been getting back into air gun shooting the last month or so, and maybe it's paying off. Also, I am retired so I have some time for shooting now. I've shot a bit for the last 4-5 days almost every day.
    Great hobby and I am enjoying myself a bunch!!

Jon