• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Question on a LW barrel from Crosman

Started by gdm620, February 10, 2013, 04:00:48 PM

gdm620

I ordered and received a barrel from Crosman.  I ordered a 10.1" LW barrel 2300-002.  I am going to use it on a PCP Don Coth 2250 SS Tube that I ordered.  My question is does that barrel come with a flat spot on the end of the barrel for the plastic target sight and does it have a dimple in it for the barrel band set screw?  The reason I ask is because the barrel has some nasty burrs on the end of the muzzle and the feeding ramp is kind of rough.  The flat spot doesn't line up on the same plane as the transport hole in the barrel.  I'm not going to use the flat spot because I will put a muzzle brake on it.  I just want to know if I got a real LW barrel.  How can you tell for sure?  The rifling looks good on it though.  I'm waiting on the DC tube then I should be able to get it together and see how accurate it is.  I'm just wondering while I'm waiting if I got a LW barrel or not.  Thanks.

Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

bgmcgee

I can't answer your questions as I have never seen one of the 10" barrels. But I have a 12" lothar barrel on my 1377 and the muzzle end is flawless.  If it was me I would give Crosman a call as they don't give those barrels away and it should be better than you described.  If you look at the one they offer on the custom shop it Looks like the muzzle end of the barrel and it has a flat spot. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Crosshairs

All i can say if your not happy with it call crosman and they will make it right. I do have a LW barrel but it came with my 2300KT from CCS so i never saw the barrel in hand but it sure shoots nice. I don't remember if it had the flat spot on the front but pretty sure they all do for the front sight.
                                  Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

crossliner

Hi Mr. GDM..Yes it does have a flat section on top and a dimple for the bb screw. This is mine on a 2400KT from The Crosman Custom Shop..Mr. BGM is also right the tip is flat unlike them Crosman barrels that have beveled ends.

crossliner

The bore is also exceptionally well done so smooth and the rifling is pronounced if compared to a Crosman barrel...Hope this helps. Best regards.

Fronzdan

The LW barrel has a flat for the sight.  The muzzle surface is also relatively flat with slight beveling for the crown.   It looks a lot different from a standard Crosman crown, which has a deeper bevel both on the crown and on the OD.  There is a dimple for the barrel band.

The flat for the sight usually lines up with the TP hole.  Are you sure the hole is lined up with the TP?  If it is offset, that shouldn't matter to you unless your brake has a set screw on top AND it has a design that looks different depending on how it is oriented I.e. it has a sight pin or flutes etc.

Where are the burrs?  If they are in the crown, return it.  If they are around the OD, that doesn't matter in terms of accuracy.  Looking at one of my LW's from Crosman, the muzzle overall looks better than a standard...but there are very slight tooling marks.  Recrowns done on some of my other barrels are much better.

eric

Quote from: crossliner on February 10, 2013, 05:31:25 PM
The bore is also exceptionally well done so smooth and the rifling is pronounced if compared to a Crosman barrel...Hope this helps. Best regards.
X2 lw barrels do have more pronounce rifling than the crosman barrels .the crosman barrels i've seen are pretty smooth and very shallow
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

gdm620

Thanks for the replies  :-*  I think it is a true LW barrel from what you guys are telling me. The rifling is really good.  Most of the burrs are on the outside edge of the crown end.  The inside part of the crown looks good. 

I wonder if Crosman machines the LW barrels from blanks they get or do they come to crosman already to go?

I never seen a LW barrel before so I thought I would ask you guys your opinion.  I want to polish the outside of the barrel anyway so the burrs will be sanded off.  I will shoot it a little before I polish it to see how well it shoots.  If all is good with it I will polish it.  Suppose to have my DC tube tomorrow so I can get it together this week.  I will post a write up of my build when I get it done.  This gun will be used for indoor target mostly and for looks  8)  So accurcy is important.  Not after a lot of power.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

quickster47 †

Every one has already answered your question but I'll also add that I just received three new LW barrels from Crosman and they all have the flat spot for the Crosman sights.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

gdm620

Quote from: quickster47 on February 10, 2013, 07:19:45 PM
Every one has already answered your question but I'll also add that I just received three new LW barrels from Crosman and they all have the flat spot for the Crosman sights.

Carl

Thanks for the response Carl

How is the lead in throat on yours?  Mine had a lot of machine marks in it.  I will smooth it up some once I see how it shoots.   All in all I guess it not bad.  I just thought it should of been better at $54.  The rifling does look great once I look pass the other small things.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

quickster47 †

Much as I hate to say, all three of my barrels were pretty much like yours.  It was disappointing to say the least.  I too expected more for my money.

Even if they would have looked okay to the naked eye I still take a fine Cratex polishing tool fitted in my Dremel and clean them up.  That little bit of work makes a big difference in having a buttery smooth leade.  This is especially true when using wadcutters, which I pretty much use exclusively.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

ajhuff

Funny, I tried to order an LW barrel on Friday and the guy on the phone laughed at me and said no. Looking at my notes though I told him 2300-102 not 2300-002. Whoops.

My 2300S has the flat spot you mentioned and clean machining, which I would expect.

-AJ