• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Problem with my 1322 (UPDATED)

Started by blake.l, February 19, 2013, 09:10:21 PM

blake.l

Been doing a little work on the old girl... ;D I got my new 1377 barrel in .177 cal. also put a crosman long steel breech on it. I had to re-drill a new hole in the breech since the tube only had the forward hole in it and the breech had the new hole location on it... It was a pretty simple mod. I was wondering if its ok to have a free floating barrel on these type guns? I've got a muzzle brake for it but cant be installed with the front site like it is...

quickster47 †

Depending upon the size of the problem you might can get away with just doing a recrown on the barrel.  If the damage is worse your next step would be to grind the tip and then recrown the barrel.

Good luck.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

Do a search on 're crowning here on the CAPOF and the net. Easy, something you can do without to much trouble.  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

blake.l

Ok, got the little dent in the barrel fixed no problem. Ok not sure what the problem is but 1-4 pumps on the gun the pellet will not exit the barrel? 5-10 pumps and it shoots hard.... I've changed the cup on the pump piston, redone the valve with new seals, replaced the T.P with a new un restricted one... Could the inside of the barrel be screwed? Pellets look pretty rough when they come out......

Crosshairs

Make sure your loading port is clean also check the breech screw under the bolt if its sticking up it can deform the pellet. Also you can try to lube the cup if you didn't already. One more thing maybe you can cut a 1/4" off the
Barrel and recrown it. Are you trying different pellets.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

blake.l

Quote from: Crosshairs on February 21, 2013, 03:22:01 AM
Make sure your loading port is clean also check the breech screw under the bolt if its sticking up it can deform the pellet. Also you can try to lube the cup if you didn't already. One more thing maybe you can cut a 1/4" off the
Barrel and recrown it. Are you trying different pellets.

Port seems to be clean, breech screw is recessed and as far as exiting the barrel I should have been more clear, on 1-4 pumps it don't even move an inch past the T.P hole in the barrel?

arkmaker †

Couple of things to check (and don't shoot if they seem dumb!)

Your not putting a .22 cal pellet in a .177 barrel? (told you, don't shoot  ;) )
Have you tried cocking the gun before pumping it?
Are you positive that the TP is aligned properly and right side up?
If it has a Hollow tipped probe, is it turned in the proper direction so the hole aligns with the TP when bolt is locked?

Just some things that could get over looked.

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

blake.l

Quote from: arkmaker on February 21, 2013, 02:34:43 PM
Couple of things to check (and don't shoot if they seem dumb!)

Your not putting a .22 cal pellet in a .177 barrel? (told you, don't shoot  ;) )
Have you tried cocking the gun before pumping it?
Are you positive that the TP is aligned properly and right side up?
If it has a Hollow tipped probe, is it turned in the proper direction so the hole aligns with the TP when bolt is locked?

Just some things that could get over looked.

1. Nope 22 cal barrel using premier .22 cal hollow points
2. yes tried both was cocking before and after pumping
3. yes would only fit one direction
3. Yep tried both kinds of probes and same result

breakfastchef

Quote from: blake.l on February 19, 2013, 09:10:21 PMI also had to enlarge the hole in the barrel for the t.p to fit it. I put her back together an man let me tell you it shoots like a champ now... :-*

Any chance this hole is now too large and the pellet is getting wedged in there? That could explain why you could move the pellet out at 10 pumps, but not 5 pumps. This would also explain the defromation of the pellet.
Larry

arkmaker †

+1 to what Larry said.

I opened my very 1st pumper barrel up way to much and the pellet was falling into the hole. If I held the gun upside down when loading, everything was ok. That did not last long. Ended up with a new barrel. I would think for a .22 cal, you would not want to open up the barrel hole past .185/.190 even down to .170 might be about max before the head of the pellet starts tipping in it.

Try loading upside down and see what happens.

1377x

i was thinking that maybe the tp is poking into the barrel thats what is chewing up the pellets as they get pushed on top of it
closed mouths dont get fed

blake.l

Quote from: 1377x on February 22, 2013, 01:31:59 AM
i was thinking that maybe the tp is poking into the barrel thats what is chewing up the pellets as they get pushed on top of it

I checked to make sure that it wasn't and all is ok there....

Quote from: breakfastchef on February 21, 2013, 08:59:05 PM
Any chance this hole is now too large and the pellet is getting wedged in there? That could explain why you could move the pellet out at 10 pumps, but not 5 pumps. This would also explain the deformation of the pellet.

I'm thinking Larry hit the nail on the head.... I do believe that the pellet is snagging on the enlarged hole... I did get a new T.P in from Davio for the gun I borrowed the one I used in the 1322 and he sent me a free tin of pellets. I'm not sure the brand or type but the are kind of pointed tipped pellets. I tried those and they would shoot from 1 pump all the way up to 10 pumps but depending on how you loaded them there was a little resistance going in and I think they are hanging on the hole and when that happen you would have to pump up to 4 pumps or above to get it to shoot... SO, I think its safe to say I screwed up the barrel and now will be replacing it, maybe converting to .177 since I don't hunt....

Quote from: arkmaker on February 21, 2013, 09:49:56 PM
+1 to what Larry said.

I opened my very 1st pumper barrel up way to much and the pellet was falling into the hole. If I held the gun upside down when loading, everything was ok. That did not last long. Ended up with a new barrel. I would think for a .22 cal, you would not want to open up the barrel hole past .185/.190 even down to .170 might be about max before the head of the pellet starts tipping in it.
Try loading upside down and see what happens.

Yep the T.P didn't like much fitting... I should have just used my round file to enlarged the hole for it to fit instead of drilling it out, Guess you pay the price for cutting corners and being lazy.. Live n learn  ;D ;D....

1377x

i would have opted for a phase 3 upper
saved maching time and would have set you back around $20 if that
closed mouths dont get fed