• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Heavier hammer spring for my 2240

Started by howie1968, February 21, 2013, 03:50:53 PM

howie1968

I understand if i replace the factory hammer spring with a stronger one i can gain velocity that way also, i do so much reading on here, i dont have a chrony but after buying 8 airguns in the last couple months i see i  need to invest in one.. im trying simple things at first to get slight gains in velocity and accuracy, so far on my 2240 ive added the steel breech done some trigger work played with barrel band tightness and am pleased so far with the accuracy. i have my 14,5 inch pbarrel coming and my  stock but am considering a heavier spring, do i need a power adjuster/ or should i try the heavier spring first
I am a hunting guide In texas and Colorado
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

quickster47 †

You will probably receive a deluge of answers on this one so I'll just go ahead and state mine.

Best spring will probably be a Discovery hammer spring.

As for the rear velocity adjuster, don't waste your time.  While it might look cool or like nice bling, you'll be better off without it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

howie1968

thanks carl im not interested in bling, just a good shooter i appreciate your advice, will i need to trim the discovery hammer spring? also will i need a guide for it or just stick it in
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

quickster47 †

Quote from: howie1968 on February 21, 2013, 03:57:36 PM
thanks carl im not interested in bling, just a good shooter i appreciate your advice, will i need to trim the discovery hammer spring? also will i need a guide for it or just stick it in

You won't need to trim the spring, it will work just as it is.  You might also find it a little bit harder to cock the gun when you go with a stiffer spring.

A guide can be useful but not necessary.  And again there are endless opinions about the guide.  I have one in each of my target guns and tend to believe they help cause the hammer springs in them are the Crosman 2300A046 part which comes in the 2300s guns.  But I could be fooling myself.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

howie1968

Carl in your opinion what kind of fps gain can i get out of my 2240 with a 14.5 inch barrel using crosman 14.3 gr cphp pellets? if i switched to the discovery spring compared to the stock 2240 spring
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

Mark5043

Howie,a Discovery spring is a good choice as quickster said.You can also use a spring from a 1377.It is a bit stiffer than the one in a 2240,but not as stiff as a Disco spring.With a Disco spring,and nothing else,coupled with a 14" barrel I average 540 FPS with a 14.3 gr. pellet.If your interested in bumping up the power a bit,and not concerned with shot count,just swap out the spring.If you want more power coupled with efficiency,do the spring conversion,with a power adjuster.You can tailor your set up to have very close to the same power,as just the spring swap,BUT with added shot count.The reason is these guns waste gas in stock form .The idea is to tune your rig with just the right amount of gas behind the pellet,for the performance you want,and nothing more.You would need a Chrony to record your results as you tune though.If your serious about airguns,it's a must have piece of equipment in my opinion.Without a chrony,I use to measure power,by the size of the pop the gun made,and that is deceiving.A bigger pop,doesn't always mean a faster pellet.it all depends on your setup/barrel length,and tune for that particular setup etc.

breakfastchef

If you are so moved, get the chronograph before making any more modifications. It is immensely helpful to establish a baseline from which you can judge the effectiveness of particular modifications.

The type of pressure adjusters that allow easy changing of springs and spring shims can be a good mod if you plan on doing extensive testing. Otherwise, your money can be spent in better places.
Larry

Mark5043

Quote from: breakfastchef on February 21, 2013, 04:56:19 PM
If you are so moved, get the chronograph before making any more modifications. It is immensely helpful to establish a baseline from which you can judge the effectiveness of particular modifications.

Exactly :-*

HappyHunter

Like others have said, first thing you should do before any performance mods is get a chrony and take a few shots to establish a baseline. Now when you do a particular mod, fire off a few more shots over the chrony and you will see how it affects the performance (good or bad). Try to do only one mod at a time if possible, then test over chrony so you will have a better understanding of how each mod affects the performance. For example, I would leave 2240 bone stock, take some shots, change the barrel to your 14.5" one, test again, add a Disco spring, test, and so on....

The 2240 in stock form wastes a lot of Co2 (ever notice the "cloud" exiting the barrel when you shoot?), so adding a Disco spring to a stock 2240 will only waste more gas. Once the 14.5" barrel is installed, you will be able to make better use of the heavier spring (to a point).

While I truly respect and appreciate ALL of Carl's opinions/advice (really, I do!), we'll just have to "agree to disagree" over the velocity adjuster. With the adjuster you can fine tune the preload on the spring for the best efficiency possible. Start shooting over the chrony with the rva set at minimum preload, then every 5 shots or so turn the adjuster in one full turn and record the difference in velocity. Eventually you will get to the point where the velocity stays the same even though you're adding more tension. At that point all your doing is lowering your shot count... :( Set the preload just a hair below peak velocity and you will as efficient as possible with current setup. If you are just punching paper, you can lower the fps to the 400-450 range and gain even more shots!  :-*

Just my $.02 worth,
Todd

Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

howie1968

Thank you men, these are the replies i was looking for. I will order a chrony ill attatch my barrel and shoot it . this will give me a good baseline as suggested. i dont care about making it a super hot rod but rather an efficient accurate gun while tweaking it to where you arent wasting gas once again thanks everyone
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

HappyHunter

Quote from: howie1968 on February 21, 2013, 05:25:31 PM
I will order a chrony ill attatch my barrel and shoot it . this will give me a good baseline as suggested.

Sorry Howie1968, I meant to say shoot the gun before adding your 14.5" barrel (i.e - open package and shoot!). This will be your baseline  :-*

I fixed my previous post...brain wasn't connected to my fingers :-[

Todd
Todd

howie1968

ive got about 2000 pellets down range out of it so far got the steel breech add on with a nice red dot sure is alot of fun
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

breakfastchef

Quote from: HappyHunter on February 21, 2013, 05:16:57 PMThe 2240 in stock form wastes a lot of Co2 (ever notice the "cloud" exiting the barrel when you shoot?), so adding a Disco spring to a stock 2240 will only waste more gas.

While I truly respect and appreciate ALL of Carl's opinions/advice (really, I do!), we'll just have to "agree to disagree" over the velocity adjuster. With the adjuster you can fine tune the preload on the spring for the best efficiency possible.

An HDD is really what is needed to make efficient use of CO2. I do not see how a pressure adjuster is going to significantly change the efficiency of the pistol. If anything, the least amount of spring pressure would reduce the amount of hammer rebound. Your description of setting preload to just below where the velocity no longer increases would create more violent and wasteful hammer rebound. Just trying to picture this in my mind.
Larry

HappyHunter

Quote from: howie1968 on February 21, 2013, 03:50:53 PM
.. im trying simple things at first to get slight gains in velocity and accuracy

I was just responding to the above statement, and explaining to him that if your spring tension is too high you will not gain any more fps, just waste gas. Setting it "just below peak velocity" is only if he is looking for max velocity as efficiently as possible doing nothing more than adjusting preload. Never said this was "peak efficiency" overall, just the peak efficiency for max velocity...

Quote from: breakfastchef on February 21, 2013, 05:52:28 PM
I do not see how a pressure adjuster is going to significantly change the efficiency of the pistol.

If the spring is too strong it drives the hammer too hard into the valve stem, which translates into the valve being opened too far for too long, resulting in too much gas escaping. By lowering the strength of spring (less preload) the hammer doesn't hit as hard, the valve is opened for a shorter duration resulting in less gas leaving the valve. If he pulls the trigger and it looks like he just fired a black powder gun because of the cloud of wasted Co2 spewing out the barrel, then lowers the preload and the second shot is just as fast as the first but with no cloud (i.e - less wasted gas out the barrel = more gas left in capsule), how is that not more efficient?  ???

Todd
Todd

ped

another thing to consider is that heavier hammer springs means heavier trigger pull unless your using a p rod one
imho a good trigger is far more important than shot count or power
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com