• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

What was I thinking??

Started by jdub, February 27, 2013, 09:35:46 PM

jdub

I picked up another Corcoran stock for one of my German rifles this week and needed some quick sales to help pay for it.  I pulled my 2300S out and took some photos to post on the yellow.  I then put a new cart in it to make sure it was working ok.   Grabbed a fresh target and... what the heck am I doing???  This thing is so quiet and so accurate. 

I put it away and grabbed my P1 and sold it instead.  Another nice pistol but I guess I never bonded to it like I did my 2300S. 

BDS

Sound decision... the P1 is also nice but... you said it best  :-*
Brian

jdub

Quote from: BDS on February 27, 2013, 09:43:59 PM
Sound decision... the P1 is also nice but... you said it best  :-*
Funny because the P1 is a more expensive and, to a lot of people, a more desirable air gun, but after shooting the 2300S again I was reminded of all the little tweaks I learned here that make it such a cool little shooter.   Lots of tweaks to the trigger mechanism, a rare earth magnet inset into the rear of the new extended bolt probe to hold it open, the very quiet LDC and the RB grips that I totally stripped down and re-shaped to fit my wide hands.  It's setup perfectly for me.

The P1 on the other hand was bone stock so I can get another one just like it anytime.

quickster47 †

2300s is a great deigned gun and too often overlooked. Your decision was correct.

I love my 2300s.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

jdub was almost a dumb ass. Good call on your part.

BTW, you likely have the largest collection of Corcoran lumber in the nation by now! I am so tempted, but would have to come up with a stock condom to keep them protected.
Larry

Crosshairs

Agree with all comments above you kept the right shooter good for you.  :-*
                                                 Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

RC1947

Yup, try to avoid decisions that you'll beat yourself up for later. RC

Brent

Just got a 2300s... and I love it. Can shoot it on one cart all night long practically.... and it is so accurate that it gave me my confidence back... to where I am going to get a little more practice in and then try entering the monthly comps (although I am not sure I am ever going to beat Barry & Carl there)

This one was NIB, but it is a 2009. I am not sure I am even going to worry at this point to smooth out the trigger/ sear... it is actually pretty smooth already. Will eventually... as the brass trigger has more side to side play than I like though... but it really is pretty darn smooth in the action and only needs a little more to make it perfect..

I read some where that the older ones had a magnet already in the bolt, and I am pretty sure this one does. It will stay open on its own no matter how you hold it, unless you bump it a little.

The only thing I don't like, is that the shorter pellets don't want to load in smoothly. They should have smoothed the lead in bore more. Can tell they are hanging up on the machining ridges of the barrel. Need to one day take the barrel off and smooth it down more.

BDS

Brent, it might also be the little 4-48 breech screw recess in the floor of the breech, pellets can hang up there too, some folks put a dab of hot wax over the recess and smooth it out.
Brian

quickster47 †

Quote from: BDS on February 28, 2013, 02:58:27 PM
Brent, it might also be the little 4-48 breech screw recess in the floor of the breech, pellets can hang up there too, some folks put a dab of hot wax over the recess and smooth it out.

Melted black crayon also makes a great filler.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

WyoMan

Quote from: quickster47 on February 28, 2013, 03:59:05 PM
Melted black crayon also makes a great filler.

Carl

+1 lots of folks use wax even bees wax I hear that works  :-*
Lately I've been polishing the blot raceways with 400 grit and 600
If you roll the paper into a tube and insert thru the back of the breech
you can take the edge off of the breech screw hole (have to apply some pressure to the paper over the hole)
then the pellets don't seem to snag because the edge is rounded off
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on February 28, 2013, 04:14:59 PM

Lately I've been polishing the blot raceways with 400 grit and 600
If you roll the paper into a tube and insert thru the back of the breech
you can take the edge off of the breech screw hole (have to apply some pressure to the paper over the hole)
then the pellets don't seem to snag because the edge is rounded off

Now there is an excellent idea  :-*   :-*   :-*  and one that I am very sure helps tremendously.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

BDS

Great idea Wyoming... gonna try that soon.
Brian

jdub

Quote from: Brent on February 28, 2013, 02:38:08 AM

I read some where that the older ones had a magnet already in the bolt, and I am pretty sure this one does. It will stay open on its own no matter how you hold it, unless you bump it a little.

The only thing I don't like, is that the shorter pellets don't want to load in smoothly. They should have smoothed the lead in bore more. Can tell they are hanging up on the machining ridges of the barrel. Need to one day take the barrel off and smooth it down more.
Mine already had the magnet in the stock probe but I found the probe to be too short for several types of pellets.  The port opened right into the sides of the pellet skirts.  So I got an extended probe.  Much better and even more accurate.  Adding the magnet was a quick job. 

With regards to Larry's comment about my collection of Steve Corcoran stocks I can only plead guilty and that's it money well spent.  If you're going to spend a lot on a rifle it's crazy not to make it fit you as we'll as possible. :)

And besides:

Even my wife likes them :)    He does a lot of nice Crosman stuff too!

RC1947

That wood looks good enough to eat.  Sure dressed up those shooters! RC