• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

going to start working on my 2289 need some advice pointers

Started by howie1968, March 01, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

howie1968

Im going to start doing some small things to my 2289 backpacker,  my plans so far are extended probe steel breech kit. Ive already completed the trigger work and im happy with it. id like a longer barrel, I can get a 24 inch from crosman. needing advice on barrel length also will i need the steel barrel band? after that im kind of lost as what to do  i see flat top piston etc, what id like to do is get in the 550 fps range if possible more would be great but main thing is accuracy. right now with the factory 12 inch barrel it shoots great but am going to add the long steel breech as i already have a blue green red dot waiting for it
I am a hunting guide In texas and Colorado
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

agninja

That's the same kit I have; 12" barrel, steel breech. I got the steel barrel band because the plastic one simply won't do imho. So if you want a longer barrel then you definitely need a new barrel band. I think the length of the barrel is just a matter of your preference for performance, comfort, and aesthetics. I'm pretty sure that as a general rule, you get more velocity from a longer barrel. And I'm not sure if you'd need to counterweight that plastic skeleton stock to offset a heavy 24" barrel. So maybe a 20" or 18" would be more practical.

To me, the ft piston and valve work is a big commitment. I'm not going to do that stuff on mine because I don't think it's worth it unless you have a longer barrel, which I don't. But if you are going to get the long barrel then I'd recommend getting the flat top, hammer spring, and doing some valve work. You're going to have to pump a lot to get optimal performance, but if you really want that high fps then you'll need to go all out to get it.
Black air pistols matter.

mackelby

Just started working on mine also. A little discouraged with the power. I am sure I am expecting more than it was ever designed for. But, that doesn't stop us from spending money in our quest for MORE!! Still waiting on my 18 inch barrel. Going to use the 12.5 that is on it now and put that on the 2240. A 1701p trigger group is also coming for the 2240. Put a TKO trigger kit in the 2289.

howie1968

macbelly where did you get your 18 inch barrel from? any part numbers? also where can i find the metal barrel band. I also looked at the end of the tube and looks like a plastic plug with a standard screwdriver slot cut into it
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

BDS

Definitely a metal barrel-band and, 18" barrel length is plenty IMO.

You won't see the same, significant velocity increases with a pumper barrel length change as you would in a co2 or HPA gun, and a 24" barrel will actually put additional drag on the pellet that pumping won't overcome.

You have the right mod priorities (always trigger first IMO) but... you may want to keep the 2289 as the lightweight convertible gun it was designed to be? I have many +$300 modified guns, I have been shooting my semi-stock 2289 more than those lately (trigger mods + 760 fiber optic front sight + barrel and breech crowning, that's it)
Brian

mackelby

mackelby

Brian, can you please explain why the barrel length helps co2 and hpa guns more than pumpers. Thank you

BDS

1) Your co2 question... co2 is a liquid in compressed form which converts into a gas form as it is released. Longer barrels give the co2 more time to fully expand as a gas, typical results are about 70 to 100 fps improvement with a 24" barrel vs a 10" barrel. HPA does not expand nearly as rapidly or in total as co2 becuase it's a gas from moment one but, a longer barrel will help, just not as big a velocity increase per 12 inches of barrel length as co2. Pump guns are "HPA" guns too... just on the low end of the "H" so, they are more in the 800-900 psi relam like co2, true HPA is 2000 to 3500 psi as a comparo.

2) re your mods, IMO, this is where the $200 gun build and the $75 gun build depart on two different tracks...

$49 for a Bluefork barrel band is big $ and only the beginning of the $30, $50 and $80 pieces yet to be bought down the road, add some wood grip and voila! $250 pistol!

At this stage, you may kinda wanta pick a track and stay with it for awhile?

PS the stock, plastic barrel band is ok up to about 14" barrel max. You can make very thin shims that give the band a more snug fit in the tube and over the barrel. Any good (real) hardware store will have shim stock, same for the real auto parts stores, you are only needing a few .001" at max, maybe even .0008" which is 0016 when doubled on a diameter!
Brian

Crosshairs

Sounds like some good advice from the members. I would stay away from the 24" barrel, i have a 2250B with the 24" and it's long. If your doing a lot of indoor shooting it can be to long and get in the way, if it's going out side the 24" barrel if fine. My 2250XE has a 18" barrel and it's fine in and outside not to short and long enough for 50 yard shooting. Just my two cents.  ;)
                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

howie1968

the barrel on my 2289 is accurate so for the time being i may stay with it, get the long breech and throw  a red dot on for now i appreciate all the advice, i was ready to get the 24 barrel im glad i didnt. i like the thought of the 18 inch wish i knew about the 18 it would have went on my 2240 to utilize the c02 better. once again i appreciate all the input
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

1377x

get the flat top piston and valve.if your gun is putting out 450fps stock it can go up to 550fps with just the piston change.every gun is different and the mods affect the gun differently.i found that the flat top piston and a flat top valve increased velocity 70fps - 100+fps barrel length didnt matter
with my 1377 with stock barrel it went from 550fps to 650fps.a 14.5" .22 barrel was later added 450fps stock 550fps flat topped.this was done with pumps

imo the 12" barrel is long enough for short range,tight quarters hunting and general plinking.a muzzlebrake will also fit if needed
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

Quote from: 1377x on March 02, 2013, 12:39:15 AM
a 14.5" .22 barrel was later added 450fps stock 550fps flat topped.this was done with pumps

What I want to know is was this done wearing pumps or just high heel sneakers?   :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brent

Quote from: quickster47 on March 02, 2013, 01:57:39 AM
What I want to know is was this done wearing pumps or just high heel sneakers?   :D

Carl
LMAO !!!
(..... still am.... too funny!)

Ed?

1377x

Quote from: quickster47 on March 02, 2013, 01:57:39 AM

Carl

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! ;D ;D
you got me there those 6" stilettos really do the trick ;) ;D
it was supposed to be 10 pumps funny man! :P
closed mouths dont get fed