• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

L.W Barrel from CCS

Started by blake.l, March 03, 2013, 04:55:38 AM

blake.l

Took the muzzle brake of my CCS gun I ordered a while back and was noticing the barrels not crowned and looks like its not even cut straight, can see cut marks..... Shouldnt it have a crown regurdless if it has a break on it or not? it not having a crown will it make it shoot different?

quickster47 †

What gun did you order from the CCS?  Did you order the gun with a Lothar Walther barrel?

Regardless, muzzle brake or no muzzle brake, all barrels should have a crown as that is one of the things that will help them shoot accurately.  And having a square cut barrel end, perpendicular to the bore, is another item that insures a good crown.

Is your gun shooting okay?  Does it group good with some pellets and not others?  Are the groups dime size at 5 meters, 10 meters, or 25 meters?

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

Blake:

FYI. This is a good read on barrel crowns - http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com/blog/2011/09/the-importance-of-the-crown/

Crowns come in different flavors but share two important features - 1) as quickster47 pointed out, the muzzle must be cut square and 2) the lands and grooves must break cleanly to the muzzle. Some crowns are very shallow, yet still perform fine while others are fancy with deeper, more angled cuts.
Larry

quickster47 †

Great read Larry.  Thanks for the link.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

chongman

Ditto to what Larry explained. Do you have a real good sharp picture to share with us?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

blake.l

Well I feel realy stupid >:( When I looked at the barrel the first time I was looking for a crown that started from the outside edge and worked its way in. The barrel itself does have a flat face but if you look close (had to break out the LED light) but it has a crown around the inside where the pellet exits.... Sucks getting old, Time for some new specs!!!

quickster47 †

Quote from: blake.l on March 03, 2013, 10:07:49 AM
Well I feel realy stupid >:( When I looked at the barrel the first time I was looking for a crown that started from the outside edge and worked its way in. The barrel itself does have a flat face but if you look close (had to break out the LED light) but it has a crown around the inside where the pellet exits.... Sucks getting old, Time for some new specs!!!

Happens to me all the time.

Sometimes we engage our mouth/keyboard before our brain has processed the actual visual information or at least I do.   :-[

And you are so correct, getting old is not for the faint of heart.  Youth is so wasted on the young. :D

Carl

In Omnia Paratus