Quick and easy ergonomic mods for the 1399 carbine stock

Started by dan_house, March 15, 2013, 11:55:03 PM

dan_house

The 1399 stock is ubiquitious in the Crosman world. Grips off, stock on, instant carbine.
but that instant gratification for your Rifleman fix has some ergonomic drawbacks (from my point of view...YMMV): it can be uncomfortable.
The stock adds a length of pull that a 6 foot 4 inch tall person would find uncomfortable, the grips are not going to fill your hand, and it can be too "short" across the top of the grip for a decent trigger finger placement and getting a decent cheek weld, especailly with higher rings, can be difficult
When I got my Marauder pistol, the gun really pointed out these issues. so here's my fix for them
for the narrow grips not being a comfortable handfull I used some smallbits of grip tape

The orange lines was for the camera. Took a couple tries to get the camera to "See" the tape. The size and placement on the grips will have a huge effect on the comfort gained. Buy a big strip, and  spend some time locating it on the stock's grip

The other grip issue I have is getting a good trigger finger placment. the 1399 stock's grips are "too short" and it messes with an intuitive hand placemtent. Simple fix is to add some epoxie putty to build up some depth and length. Moves the hand back enough to let the trigger finder fall naturally on the trigger face:

Put way too much on. let it setup, then shave away and shape the putty till you get a good fit. Took longer to describe here, and the longest part was waiting for the stuff to setup
Lengthof pull and a good cheek weld? The hardst of the batch to do, but not difficutlat al:

cut 3 inches off the rear, fab'd a replacement, screwd it back to gether with deck screws and JB weld. Then made the cheek peice from IIRC 2inc PVC pipe, some 5/16 steel rod and scrap plywood. (red is optional). Your isseu here will be to decide to have the top of the cheek piece rise paralell to the boreline, or paralell to the top of the stock. Just requires setting it differentlky in the vice. On the other side is a threaded brass insert screwed into the polymer of the stock for a set screw to control the cheek pice height.
I sanded it all smooth and some semigloss rattle can paint make sit almost factory.
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

chongman

Fantastic man, thanks for posting your mods. I especially like the epoxy putty trick  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

WyoMan

Wyo
Welcome to your life :)

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

breakfastchef

Good job documenting the changes, Dan. I agree that LOP is too long, butt needs to be lowered and a cheek rest is needed to use with a scope. The pistol grips of the stock remain uncomfortable to me.
Larry

quickster47 †

Here is the cheek rest I added to my P-Rod 1399 stock.  Works great for me.

I do like the idea of the epoxy putty for making it truly personal.  :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BigErn

Nice mods to those stocks boys  :-*  Carl do they still sell that stock with the flat part on top? I like it!

quickster47 †

Quote from: BigErn on March 16, 2013, 01:26:37 AM
Nice mods to those stocks boys  :-*  Carl do they still sell that stock with the flat part on top? I like it!

Unfortunately, no.  It came on the AS2250XT and when they stopped production of the gun they stopped making replacement parts.  There might be one or two floating around at some Crosman repair depots but good luck with that path.

Maybe advertise on the Yellow, Green, GTA, or even here.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Brent

I like this post!  :) Thanks Dan!  :-*
Nice stocks boys  :-*

ped

nice work lads some really nice mods to the horrible shoulder stock that crosman in there infinite wisdom deciced to inflict on us (probally tell i'm not a fan of them)
might have to dig out my stock and see if i can make it comfortable
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

JMJinNC

Plenty of mods to the 1399 stock. Great thread.

JMJ
John

crossliner

Frankly speaking I find the Crosman stock not exactly perfect but for me it does not warrant any mods. Must be my built. Best regards.

arkmaker †

My only complaint with the stock is the cheek weld when using a scope. Everything else works out fine for me. Oh, that and they are just plain ugly without jazzing them up a little with a RB Grips insert.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

dan_house

Yep, pipe insulation should be a mandatory item in eeryone's mod box.
And great to see the other ideas for making the stocks fit better. I have more ideas, but my ability to execute them is really lacking.... 
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy