• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Not popular, but I did it anyway

Started by Flex, March 16, 2013, 12:11:36 AM

Flex

Against the better judgement of many (hopefully not all), I mounted a Daisy Electronic Point Sight atop my 2289g BackPacker using the "dreaded" Crosman 459MT mounting blocks. :o I may eventually end up buying the steel breech kit that receives rave reviews from those that get one for their Crosman air gun but I thought that I should have first hand experience with the "underdog". If the arrangement works out OK I be happy and if not, I'll be out less than $20 for the experience. RE: the Daisy "Red Dot" sight, they were on sale for ~$8.50 at a nearby Farm Fleet. Originally, I had wanted the get the Crosman "Red Dot" sight but they were about twice as much at store that wasn't as close and on back order online. Plus, the reviews were more positive for the Daisy sight. RE: the Crosman 459MT mounts, the comments on this fourm are none-to-kind but the customer reviews from those that bought thru Amazon.com were much more positive. To be sure, there were several 1 and 2 star reviews but there were many 5 and 4 star reviews. I figured, "just how bad can they be?" There's no doubt that the sights that come "stock" on the Crosman "pumpers" leave much room for improvement.
Anyway, after replacing the 12 inch "new" BackPacker barrel with the 14 inch "original" length barrel, I mounted the 459 MT mounting blocks as close to the plastic breech as possible. Since many had mentioned the inability of the blocks to securely grip the barrel, I placed some electrician's tape between the blocks and the barrel to provide additional "gription". There's no question in my mind about the firmness of the grip an the barrel. There is a bit of side to side movement that is related directly to the way that the rear most portion of the barrel is secured. The barrel is held in position by the "slip fit" transfer port underneath the barrel and pressure from above by the plastic breech. In the absence of barrel mounted attachments, there's little need for strength at this end of the barrel. I think that the issue could be resolved somewhat by tightening up this connection.
After mounting the 459MT blocks and the Daisy sight, I sighted the gun in at about 25 ft. It took more than a few pellets but I finally got her sighted in and I'm actually kinda pleased with the arrangement. There'll be some more "trials" outdoors when the weather gets a bit nicer. I've included a pic or two just to show that it doesn't look too bad.

Comments welcome (but be nice :)) Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

arkmaker †

I had one of those red dots and really liked it. Because you have a pumper, you may want to consider one of the barrel bands that have a screw to lock the barrel in place, if you don't already.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chongman

Hey Flex, the way you have it mounted it looks good  :-*

As long as it doesn't shift around much I'd say it's good to go. Wherever you store it it would take special care that the sight does not lay against anything. Make a cocoon for it, some foam padding or the likes.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Flex

Quote from: arkmaker on March 16, 2013, 12:17:10 AM
I had one of those red dots and really liked it. Because you have a pumper, you may want to consider one of the barrel bands that have a screw to lock the barrel in place, if you don't already.
Rich
I've actually given some thought to that. My first thought was to drill and tap a nylon set screw arrangement into the existing barrel support. I'm less than enthused about drilling a retention hole in the barrel but I guess it would always be covered by some sort of barrel band in just about any configuration. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

Flex

Quote from: chongman on March 16, 2013, 12:19:45 AM
Hey Flex, the way you have it mounted it looks good  :-*

As long as it doesn't shift around much I'd say it's good to go. Wherever you store it it would take special care that the sight does not lay against anything. Make a cocoon for it, some foam padding or the likes.
There's not too much "ruggedness" to the Dasiy "Red Dot" is there?  The case that I have it laying on has a nice full length sleeve that should provide ample protection in the storage or transport mode.Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

BigErn

Hey flex, nothing wrong with those mounts if you are using a light weight sight like the one you have. They don't work so well with heavier scopes because of the side to side twisting of the barrel inside the plastic breech like you mentioned. I made a cool mount using three of those 459 mounts side by side. They look like a nice one piece mount now and also help make things a little more sturdy. I too have heard great reviews on that dot sight. Gun looks great!

breakfastchef

Glad to see you 'taking the journey', Flex. The Daisy is likely no better than the Crosman variant, but can be pretty accurate. The intermounts function as intended. Both do not take to bumps, though.

Larry

quickster47 †

You did a great job Flex!  :-* :-* :-*

The intermounts might not be the best but with enough care and proper fitment they do a good job.  As mentioned previously, you just can't put too much stress on them.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

sandpiper

Plenty of room to indert pellets too. Good luck with it.

Brent

I have that same setup Flex. Take it on and off the 1377.

I actually got the sight at tractor supply. Saw it when I went there for the first time to get the Daisy .177 wad cutters. Thought what the heck... give it a try for $10!

Had the mounts already from a previous Crosman order. Anyways... I have great fun with it!! Was planning on someday writing up a little review on it of sorts. I have seen red dots at the gun counter in Walmart... that cost way more, and this sight actually has a better rounder dot! Some of the others had a small squiggly hash kind of dot to them. It is kinda wide, probably around a 7 or 8 MOA... but it is easy to center it because it is fairly round.

It also has an advantage of being light, in my opinion. It sits atop the P17 now most of the time... because it is light and looks great on there. It is better than the reddot that came with the P17... by virtue it is smaller and lighter. The reddot that came with the P17 is not to bad (actually a very slightly smaller and tiny bit rounder dot on that sight)... but this sight is just plain fun and easy to use.

Be careful getting to the battery on the Daisy... the cap appears to swivel down to get to the battery... but rather it needs to be released straight down. Just go slow and the tabs will release fine. In reading the reviews also... many have tried to pull it down at an angle, and have broken one of the 2 tabs at the back. Then they have to use tape to hold it back on.

I also use 1 small wrap of thin plumbers vinyl tape on the threads of it... to tighten it up on the screws that mount and adjust it for elevation and windage. Helps to tighten up the top to the base so you can get out that little bit of wiggle there in the mounting of them together.

Sorry for the long post. Guess my review went here lol

breakfastchef

Quote from: Brent on March 16, 2013, 04:40:29 AM
I also use 1 small wrap of thin plumbers vinyl tape on the threads of it... to tighten it up on the screws that mount and adjust it for elevation and windage. Helps to tighten up the top to the base so you can get out that little bit of wiggle there in the mounting of them together.

I worked over a cheap Crosman red dot using small o-rings. They snugged up the adjusting screws and provided some cushioning from accidental impact.
Larry

Flex

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 16, 2013, 01:19:30 AM
Glad to see you 'taking the journey', Flex. The Daisy is likely no better than the Crosman variant, but can be pretty accurate. The intermounts function as intended. Both do not take to bumps, though.
I'll probably pick up a Crosman "Red Dot" as originally planned if for nothing else than remaining "true to the brand" :-*. The UTG Airsoft Quick Aim Electronic Dot Sight provides me with some interest too. The questionable durability of any of the super cheap plastic air gun sccopes leads me to believe that eventual replacement will be required. :o I strongly suspect that none of my airguns will ever be subjected to harsh treatment so I expect a longer rather than shorter product lifespan. I do like to "tinker" with marginal things to maximize their performance with minimal additional cost. The money saved can go for other mods or pellets ;). I'm just sayin'. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

BDS

Nice work Flex... you are correct, the plastic breech will be the shortest length of any other mod you could make so.. I would do just what you suggested, mark the barrel with a very fine scribe line at the breech entrance, remove breech and barrel and measure back about 7/8" on the breech and drill/tap a 6/32 hole thru, measure 7/8" back on the barrel from the scibe mark and on on centerline and make a "dimple" on the barrel on center for the 6-32 set screw you will use and the dimple will retain the set screw and reduce any rotation of the barrel. :-*

PS there are many types of set screws, flat end, cup point, pointed, etc... look for a cup point so you get some bite into the dimple. The only downside is the strength of the plastic breech threads vs. the torque need to lock the screw down but, even a little pressure is 100% more than stock!
Brian

Flex

Quote from: BDS on March 16, 2013, 05:18:37 PM
mark the barrel with a very fine scribe line at the breech entrance, remove breech and barrel and measure back about 7/8" on the breech and drill/tap a 6/32 hole thru, measure 7/8" back on the barrel from the scibe mark and on on centerline and make a "dimple" on the barrel on center for the 6-32 set screw you will use and the dimple will retain the set screw and reduce any rotation of the barrel. :-*

PS there are many types of set screws, flat end, cup point, pointed, etc... look for a cup point so you get some bite into the dimple. The only downside is the strength of the plastic breech threads vs. the torque need to lock the screw down but, even a little pressure is 100% more than stock!
Brian, I'm not totally trackin' your measurements. The distance from the front end of the plastic breech to the "loading port" is a hair over 1/2". Additionally, the barrel is under only about 75% of that distance. My thought was to drill a pilot hole about 1/4" back from the front edge of the breech. This will give me a guide hole in the breech to drill out and tap for the 6-32 set screw AND mark the location for the dimple to be drilled into the barrel. I don't think that this arrangement will allow for much downward force but it should provide some rotational stability. I'll probably do the same thing with the barrel support at the front of the pump tube. I'm hoping that tightening the grip on the barrel at 2 locations will provide the needed stability. Thanks for the input. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

dan_house

Flex,
I had one of those, for the money they were kick-a**...
I'd offer one sugestion: push that sight all the way forward. Think: "scout mount".  Both eyes open, fast acquiistion
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance