• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Michigan has crushed another of my dreams.

Started by kraaash, March 18, 2013, 04:25:32 AM

kraaash

I was geared up in a huge way to build a 2240 only to find out that I cant have one in the state of michigan without going through the pistol purchase hoops that i have no intention of. This is a huge bummer.

is it possible to get a smooth bore barrel for the 22xx's?

1377x

anything is possible
there are guys from Michigan who have 2xxx guns they didn't jump through the hoops they said how they did it but don't remember
maybe a google search might help you
get a custom shop gun with a .177 barrel ???
closed mouths dont get fed

JEBert

What are the pistol purchase hoops of which you speak.  To my knowledge, since I have a CCW permit in my state, I can carry concealed in MI.  Is the purchase hoops something else?
I am mostly just curious.  I traveled to MI last year (relatives paid for a vacation) but I flew commercially and did not submit myself to the hassle of bringing any guns.  Felt almost naked the whole week.
To answer about the smooth-bore barrel, you could put one from a 760 (or other gun) onto a 22XX but there would be some machining and installation involved that you may have to do yourself.  Only smooth-bores I know of are .177 caliber, made to shoot BB's.
Thanks,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

a 7/16 or a 3/8 tube with a spacer around it would work too
a round ball or some kind of ammo would have to be found
iirc .22 is outlawed or restricted there but .177 is good to go
could be mistaken but i think that's what the hassle is
over on gta a lot of the MI members have .22 springers

jSan22

breakfastchef

Michigan Firearms Laws (280 pages)

8.3t "Firearm" defined.
Sec. 3t. The word "firearm", except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to
include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a
means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for
propelling BB's not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.

752.891 Use or possession of BB handgun by minor.
Sec. 1. No person under 18 years of age shall use or possess any handgun designed and manufactured
exclusively for propelling BB's not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air, outside the curtilage
of his domicile unless he is accompanied by a person over 18 years of age.
History: 1959, Act 186, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960;¾Am. 1972, Act 37, Imd. Eff. Feb. 19, 1972.

752.892 Penalty.
Sec. 2. Any person who violates the provisions of this act is guilty of a misdemeanor.
History: 1959, Act 186, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960

Move to a state where you can marry a first cousin. Those states have gun friendly laws.
Larry

JEBert

OK, we defined what a firearm is, determined that a minor can't have one outside of his domicile, and that it is a misdemeanor to violate this statue, but not what we have to go through to own/carry one if we are not a minor. 
Is that all of it?
Kraaash, are you under 21?
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

kraaash

i just might, i have a hot first cousin.. that said, only less than 30" rifled barrels require a pistol purchase permit. i have springers and they are sold in stores off the rack all day.
I dont have a ccw and dont want one, nor do I want to go deal with local pd to build a target co2 gun.

kraaash

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 18, 2013, 05:08:24 AM
Michigan Firearms Laws (280 pages)

8.3t "Firearm" defined.
Sec. 3t. The word "firearm", except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to
include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a
means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for
propelling BB's not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.

752.891 Use or possession of BB handgun by minor.
Sec. 1. No person under 18 years of age shall use or possess any handgun designed and manufactured
exclusively for propelling BB's not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air, outside the curtilage
of his domicile unless he is accompanied by a person over 18 years of age.
History: 1959, Act 186, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960;¾Am. 1972, Act 37, Imd. Eff. Feb. 19, 1972.

752.892 Penalty.
Sec. 2. Any person who violates the provisions of this act is guilty of a misdemeanor.
History: 1959, Act 186, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960

Move to a state where you can marry a first cousin. Those states have gun friendly laws.
35 bro, that doesnt look like michigan law to me, ive seen it differnt. pyramid air has a short cap on it in their shipping restriction page. looks like mighigan has the works air gun laws.. worse than ny or california

breakfastchef

The parts I pasted are from Michigan.

It would appear that anything defined as a firearm would require permits, background checks and use of a FFL dealer. That is my take away.
Larry

1377x

even your smoothbore has to be .177
i see so many guys from MI in your situation
there are 16gn .177 pellets available

BassManNate

agninja

I remember going into a Big5 Sporting goods store and asking if they had any .22 cal airguns. The guy told me they stopped carrying them because people were "illegally" converting them to .22 rimfires. Why anyone would take an air rifle that costs as much or MORE than an inexpensive 10/22 and ruin it by converting it to a powder burner seemed hard to believe. Especially when it's not illegal to possess a .22 rimfire rifle. I could see how someone might do that to a .22 pistol, since handguns can be more difficult to acquire as laws are more strict. But the anatomy of 2240 doesn't lend itself well to being converted to a rimfire powder burner the way a spring piston airgun is. So I have no idea why 2240s would be restricted. Sounds like another airgun law that was born out of the ignorance of the people making the laws.
Black air pistols matter.

dan_house

I'd think if any one was converting .22 pel guns to accect rimfire ammo, you'd see a rash of news reports of people being injured by exploding guns.
DOnt think a lot of folks have the knowledge to that in a way that really actually works, and wont go kaboom when you fire it.
ITs againt the law here (Montana) to marry yer first cousin, but our gun laws are good. I have a CCW, muzzle brake, and you can own a machine if you want.
hehe its because of our gun laws that hardly anyone not involved in Olympic, JR Olympic or clubs shoots an airgun.....
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

WyoMan

Quote from: dan_house on March 18, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
hehe its because of our gun laws that hardly anyone not involved in Olympic, JR Olympic or clubs shoots an airgun.....

I think that is the same here.....
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance