Heh... I just stripped a breech screw!!

Started by Steve-in-Kville, March 26, 2013, 12:54:32 AM

WyoMan

Quote from: KevinP on March 26, 2013, 03:28:09 PM
;D ... Stripping the breech screw is ... well ... sorta like a right of passage ...
into the Crosmaniac kingdom so to speak .... :-*
;D ;D ;D
To receive full rite of passage one must also complete the following:
- lose your detent ball
- shoot your Chrony
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on March 26, 2013, 04:43:25 PM
;D ;D ;D
To receive full rite of passage one must also complete the following:
- lose your detent ball
- shoot your Chrony

Oh yes, I have done both of those several times.  My one chrony got so bad I finally had to buy a replacement.  It looked like it had been to Viet Nam with me.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mudduck48

My Chrony was shot by a friend of mine with a .45 colt. It cost $60 and postage to get it fixed.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

ped

looks like i've just got to lose the detent ball then i'll i be a fully paid up member of the club
luckily gary sent me some when i got some breech screws of him recently
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BigErn

I have a stripped grip bolt on my 1399 stock  >:(  I have been struggling with it for days!!! I was using a hex bit to tighten and it snapped, I have broken 7 drill bits so far... I'm trying not to destroy the stock but I might have no choice. I have given up for now...

1377x

Quote from: BigErn on March 26, 2013, 08:18:16 PM
I have a stripped grip bolt on my 1399 stock  >:(  I have been struggling with it for days!!! I was using a hex bit to tighten and it snapped, I have broken 7 drill bits so far... I'm trying not to destroy the stock but I might have no choice. I have given up for now...
how in the heck did you tighten it? why so much force? :P
is the broken bit still in the stripped hole?
you might have to drill next to it around it pop the broken bit out then still down
lets see a pic of this project
closed mouths dont get fed

JEBert

Try cutting a slot in the screw head for a screwdriver with a dremel and a cut-off wheel.  Worse thing that could happen is your slot will extend onto the stock a little way on each side of the screw hole.
Good luck,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Steve-in-Kville

I called Crosman this morning and much to my amazement, I spoke to a real human. I ordered 4 screws right away, so at least I have spares.
Crosman 2260, 2240 & 1377
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

Brent

Quote from: Steve-in-Kville on March 26, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
I called Crosman this morning and much to my amazement, I spoke to a real human. I ordered 4 screws right away, so at least I have spares.

Yah... that IS nice  :-* :)

QB78Guy

I have a great tip that I read somewhere about getting a stripped breech screw out. First make sure that your rear breech screw is in tight, then you take a size T6 torx bit (star drive) and drive the bit into the tiny breech screw hole with a small hammer, slide your bit driver onto the bit and you SHOULD be able to unscrew it no problem.

The first screw that I stripped I did not know this tip and used a hand drill to drill it out making a big mess and sweating bullets the whole time, and to think I still stripped another screw out after all that!  ???

Brent

Quote from: QB78Guy on March 27, 2013, 03:54:19 AM
I have a great tip that I read somewhere about getting a stripped breech screw out. First make sure that your rear breech screw is in tight, then you take a size T6 torx bit (star drive) and drive the bit into the tiny breech screw hole with a small hammer, slide your bit driver onto the bit and you SHOULD be able to unscrew it no problem.

The first screw that I stripped I did not know this tip and used a hand drill to drill it out making a big mess and sweating bullets the whole time, and to think I still stripped another screw out after all that!  ???
That IS a good tip! Thanks!!

quickster47 †

Someone also suggested using a clamp like the one pictured to clamp the breech and tube together removing some of the pressure on the screw thus making it easier to remove.

Also works for putting it back together.  But then you definitely need to remember this when taking the gun apart again.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

droid

Quote from: QB78Guy on March 27, 2013, 03:54:19 AM

That's the method I use too, saves a load of bother, Plus remembering not to ever put a hex head breech screw back in again.
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

The one and only time I stripped one was because I forgot to apply the C-clamp before trying to remove the screw.  It never happened again because I immediately replaced the screws in all my guns with SS philips head 4-48 1/4" screws.  I used a drill to remove the top of the stripped screw.
Stranded in California.

WyoMan

I also use some light weight oil on the breech screw threads before I install the screw and clamping pressure really helps against the resistance of the TP sleeve on the square oring....
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance