• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Bed Liner on 1701P Grips

Started by geo111, April 09, 2013, 02:06:29 AM

geo111

I've read that some people were using bed liner on the wooden stocks rifles. That made me wonder how well it would work on the plastic grips that came with my 1701P.

Starting with a spare set of plastic grips, I applied two coats of Rustoleum Bed Liner. The grips now have a coarse and slightly rubbery feel. It is a pretty nice feel.

The picture below shows the bed liner coated grip on the left, and the original on the right. I like how the logo is still visible.

bgmcgee

I like it.  do they feel any sturdier?
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Brent

I was just talking to BigErn/ Ernesto about this this weekend. Had seen his bedliner 1701p grip photos that he posted a while back... when searching something else out last week. Actually ordered an extra set of those grips in my Crosman order on Friday, just for trying this out. Have the 1701p grips on the 1377/ 2300s right now... pretty sure they are going to be bedliner too, when I get practiced up on this spare set.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and photos!! Cool to see more of it. They turned out great!! Nice Job  :-*

breakfastchef

I prefer the Rustoleum brand in the spray can. It lays on thin enough to allow the substrate detail to show through yet provides an excellent slip-resistant surface. Two thin coats seems to cover well.
Larry

geo111

Quote from: bgmcgee on April 09, 2013, 02:30:00 AM
I like it.  do they feel any sturdier?

Not any sturdier, still feels a little flimsy.

I may buy unfinished wooden grips and coat them with the bed liner.

woody67

I never noticed that the 1701p grips are different from the marauder pistol grips.

I always thought they were exactly the same.

I guess it makes sense, since the 1701p is 'Crosman' and the p-rod is 'Benjamin'

quickster47 †

Keep us posted on how they wear after a month or two of hard use.  That will be the true telling of the finish.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brent

Quote from: woody67 on April 09, 2013, 01:36:36 PM
I never noticed that the 1701p grips are different from the marauder pistol grips.

I always thought they were exactly the same.

I guess it makes sense, since the 1701p is 'Crosman' and the p-rod is 'Benjamin'
I can't see much difference, besides the logo on the grip. I am looking at pics though... what did you notice?

woody67

Only the logo.... the grips look the same otherwise.

One has the crosman logo and one has the Benjamin 'B'
I just never realized it before...

Crosshairs

Nice job on your grips they look great.
                                 Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

geo111

Quote from: Crosshairs on April 09, 2013, 06:07:25 PM
Nice job on your grips they look great.
                                 Mike

Thank you.

I didn't know how the bed liner product would affect the plastic. It could have attacked the plastic if the materials were not compatible.

Another consideration was that I didn't want to over do it. I'm happy with the results, but I still want sturdier feeling grips.

I wonder if filling in the voids might result in a sturdier feel?

BDS

Hot glue or 2-part epoxy inside the hollows with a few lead pellets tossed in before you pour in the glue. Def makes e'm feel more sturdy, no hollow noise etc.
Brian

Fronzdan

It wears great...I have not had a single problem with the bedliner coming off.  I've done the plastic grips, wood grips, steel muzzle brakes, wood and plastic pump arms...maybe some day I'll try a grip frame.

BigErn

I just did a 1389 stock with bedliner and it looks awesome!

tnpaw

What colors are available in the spray can, for Berliner? ???.......tnpaw