• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 Silhouette Shooting: scope or red dot ?

Started by CO2Freak, April 11, 2013, 09:49:35 PM

CO2Freak

I want to use my 2240 for Silhouette Shoots. Does anyone has experience with this regarding the 2240 ? What do you prefer to use...? A scope or red dot ?

Brent

I haven't shoot it, but in knowing what it is and how it works... I am thinking a red dot. Lighter on the gun, and faster aiming... if you eyes are up for it.  Having said that, I am interested in learning what the other guys think.

I also think it comes down to personal preference in sighting, and your eyes. I love a red dot for 5 M, but my eyes are not good enough at 10M for it, so I will need to switch to a scope for that.  ;)

quickster47 †

Actually, my own choice for silhouette shooting is a rear peep sight and a Martens Taco hood front sight.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brent

You know, there is allot of truth in that ^^^

I have been shooting the 1377 with the factory peep, and used it last month in the off hand capof comp... and it is probably going to be my choice again this month. My favorite rifle and that I shot well as a kid, had a peep sight on it also.

I also bought a pistol off of a forum member that got here yesterday... and it has the Williams peep on it. Shot about 100 pellets through it before I mounted the scope, and it was great fun and accurate. Only wish the peep was a little smaller, bit I can order one smaller if I keep using it  :-*

Barry posted a good thread, with a link in it to good info on using/ shooting with a peep setup:
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,10640.msg129533.html#msg129533

Carl - whose peep sight is that... and whose grips?

quickster47 †

Quote from: Brent on April 11, 2013, 11:48:01 PM
Carl - whose peep sight is that... and whose grips?

Our own member Rick (Iagent) made those grips and the moment I saw them I wanted them.

The front sight is from Martens Sight Company, a one man cottage industry airgun shop. http://daisysights.com/page2.html

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JEBert

Brent,
The screw-in apertures for the peeps come in several sizes and a few different outside diameters too.
See page 14 of their catalog:
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2013%20Catalog.pdf
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

BDS

Fast target acquisition.. not so important in silhouette... I use a BSA Edge 2x pistol scope, works superbly, and makes those little chickens "pop" in the sight picture :-*
Brian

Gippeto

Have used a peep on a rifle...no issues. Wondering about the sight picture when used on a pistol held at arms length???

Or are you shooting it Pistol field target style...ie rifle type eye relief?

Inquiring minds and such. :)

Al

quickster47 †

This video demonstrates how to shoot a pistol using a peep sight.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7a85uctmQw#]Gunzorro Demonstrates the "Taco Hold"[/url]

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Gippeto

Thanks!

Tube over the front sight makes all kinds of sense now too. :-*

Al

DaveB50

Quote from: quickster47 on April 11, 2013, 11:14:31 PM
Actually, my own choice for silhouette shooting is a rear peep sight and a Martens Taco hood front sight.

Carl

Got a link to that front sight Carl? I haven't seen one like that before.
Dave
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

quickster47 †

Quote from: DaveB50 on April 12, 2013, 03:29:40 AM
Got a link to that front sight Carl? I haven't seen one like that before.
Dave

The front sight is from Martens Sight Company, a one man cottage industry airgun shop. http://daisysights.com/page2.html

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

blake.l

Quote from: quickster47 on April 11, 2013, 11:14:31 PM

Carl

Carl, nice looking shooter. What kind of rear peep sight is that?

quickster47 †

Quote from: blake.l on April 12, 2013, 07:22:29 AM
Carl, nice looking shooter. What kind of rear peep sight is that?

The basic rear peep sight is a Williams FP-GR-TK that I picked up at Airguns of Arizona and the aperture is something I bought from Champion Shooters.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

blake.l

Quote from: quickster47 on April 12, 2013, 03:02:57 AM
This video demonstrates how to shoot a pistol using a peep sight.

Carl

Anyone know what type pistol that is he is shooting?