• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

NP Trail pistol review on PA

Started by RC1947, April 15, 2013, 07:23:43 PM

RC1947

The first in a series of reviews regarding the Trail NP was posted on PA's web blog today.  Should be interesting to compare the comments here with what Tom Gaylord has to say. ??? RC

quickster47 †

So far it reads like typical Gaylord spin.  Not much substance and truly beating around the bush.  But then what does one expect from someone like him who will sell his soul for a a buck and is in the pocket of the manufacturer.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

RC1947

It cracks me up when a gun is given high marks before the test.  One of my finest rifles was abandoned by him because he couldn't get it to shoot accurately with a scope.  I bought one anyway and never regretted it. RC

BDS

some pics of the Massimo are in order RC ??? :-*
Brian

BDS

Re the PA review...

TG starts by stating that the NP is "remarkably easy to cock" and by the end of the review he states that it has "acceptable cocking effort"

A short barrel spring gun with over 50 lb of cocking effort is hardly "easy" for most non-bodybuilders and for those with weak upper body strength or arm strength it will not be "acceptable" either.

RC: TG has never answered my emails on the "death" of the Massimo in his blogs and ultimately, for sale at PA. Still don't know how "Yoda" couldn't manage a springer with open sights and couldn't just go get a new Leapers or Hawke AG rated scope and get on with it? The scope was just cost of marketing for the (then) new Massmo right? TG tends to leave an implication that he has to pry guns and accesories from PA's hands or that he has his own $$ tied up in these gun tests. Very frustraiting and somewhat "gas filled" reports.
Brian

RC1947

a couple of pics of a superb and accurate shooter from Norica :-\ :-* RC

mudduck48

I have one, one of the first 100. I say, if you want someting to tinker with and try to make it better, then buy one. And I would like to see someone find new sights to put on this thing. Not a red dot, but open sights. I know you all have seen this vid with Chip showing off the NP, but look at the gun real close. You will see that the rear sight is all the way up and back. When he takes the cock assist off look at the wear on the barrel. Here is my rear sight, all the way up and all the way back. 5m, still 1" low. With out the cock assist.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytHOFbKld8#ws]Benjamin Trail NP Break Barrel Air Pistol[/url]
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

RC1947

I'd bring the elevation screw to a hardware store and buy a longer screw. RC

BDS

Nice rifle RC, and for those who might think a 2 pc wood stock is a weak design, it's actually a 1 pc stock with relief cut in it for the two metal side covers, pretty clever I'd say.

Sure you don't wanna trade for another Hatsan 95 Walnut?
Brian

RC1947

Quote from: BDS on April 15, 2013, 09:46:28 PM
Nice rifle RC, and for those who might think a 2 pc wood stock is a weak design, it's actually a 1 pc stock with relief cut in it for the two metal side covers, pretty clever I'd say.

Sure you don't wanna trade for another Hatsan 95 Walnut?
No thanks.  I like the Massimo so much that I ordered the case from Spain - arrived in 3 days.  Yeah, those are anodized aluminum plates.  Has a Spanish Rekord trigger that TG couldn't seem to figure out.  RC

JEBert

If the front sight is tall enough, file the top of it down a bit.  If it is short to begin with, Yea, get a longer screw.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

quickster47 †

Quote from: JEBert on April 15, 2013, 10:48:42 PM
If the front sight is tall enough, file the top of it down a bit.  If it is short to begin with, Yea, get a longer screw.
Cheers,

While your point is quite valid Jerry, it really should not be necessary for the end user to do such.  Crosman should have done their homework and designed the front and rear sight to work together.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Ya, I tend to agree with you there Carl, we love to tinker and modify but, when we do (on a defective new gun) we let the factory off the hook. I've done it in the past many times, not no mo"! :-*
Brian

Fronzdan

Is barrel droop the problem?  I only have one break barrel anything and its my Ruger Mark 1.  One of its many problems is severe droop.  I have the pistol jacked up so much in the rear it's like a hot rod.

JEBert

Brian and Carl,
I certainly agree.  But if he decides to keep it, I was just offering a solution.  It's a lot less hassle than sending it back to the factory to try to get them to maybe fix it.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)