Thoughts On Laser Sight Adjustment and Setting The Range

Started by allan.leigh04, April 28, 2013, 09:45:40 AM

allan.leigh04

Hi All,

I was just wondering on others thoughts regarding the subject/topic above.

With my various airsoft, and air pistols, all shooting over 300 fps, and using a laser on all of them, all under the barrel.

Using one as an example, the open sights are almost perfect for the pellet rise at about 6 meters.

The range where the pellet drop makes it perfect again, I am not sure of, as I do not have the space at home to test it out.

Yet I zeroed, or sighted in my laser, to be the same as the iron sights, at 10 meters; knowing the pellet will actually be about 1.5 inches high at that range: while shorter ranges, a bit lower until one reaches the equal distance from the sights to the barrel.

Therefore, what are others thoughts, and ranges to zero their lasers at.
Of course for only a short distance, possibly to 15 meters the pellet rise will be near the laser.
After that it of no effective sighting aid use at all.

Cheers Aussie Al

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

Winners Never Quit...&.....Quitters Never Win .

MSN & YIM rarely turned on.

crossliner

10 meters is about right..What I do is simulate various distances so I would know the POI on each..I do not use lasers though just scopes/red dots and everytime I hunt rats in the marketplace at night my pellets are on the spot..I use a 1377 for rat hunts and limit my pumps to 3 only..I hit their noggin' and they are dead as dead can be no need for more powerful shots at all. Best regards.

allan.leigh04

Oh, and all my pistols iron sights, have been touched up, with a very fine paint brush, and both very bright orange, and yellow, of my wife's glow in the dark nail polish.

As the nail polish that glows in the dark; works alot better than the supposedly luminous paint I could purchase, for quickly acquiring an aiming point.
That is except with bright light directly to ones front, when the laser would be of greatest aiming aid effect.
But rather for the intimidation factor, of a laser dot on ones chest, or groin area.

So the laser is not so much for low light shooting, as I always sight properly first.

Given all my somewhat major modified pistols, can put a metal BB right through a flattened steel food can. And even a domed air gun pellet, will hit so hard it will not be funny.

Should of course the weapon ever need to be used for home defence.
Which of course no one desires to ever be required.

Although my preference in that circumstance, would be my 20 gram lead shot, and very powerful slingshot; which hits with as many ft/lbs as a small to medium hand gun.

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

quickster47 †

I also usually sight in at 10 meters and have learned that the biggest thing is familiarity with the gun you are shooting.  For most all of my vermin shooting I will use one or two different guns that I know like the back of my hand and comfortable as a pair of gloves.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

Quote from: quickster47 on April 28, 2013, 02:42:58 PM
I also usually sight in at 10 meters and have learned that the biggest thing is familiarity with the gun you are shooting.  For most all of my vermin shooting I will use one or two different guns that I know like the back of my hand and comfortable as a pair of gloves.

Carl

x2 to Quickster47's comments. Become familiar with your 'tool' so you know how to use it for the intended purpose.

If you want to do some calculating of trajectories and zero points, I recommend you download the free application from Hawke Optics call Hawke Chairgun Pro. Plug in your variables (projectile weight, projectile BC, height of optics, etc.) and the software plots projectile trajectories. Change variables and the graphs will change.
Larry

Brent

allan.leigh04

Thanks for the information on the Chairgun link.
I am certain it will come in useful.

Regards

Allan