• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Making Extended probe bolts

Started by dan_house, May 02, 2013, 09:17:25 PM

breakfastchef

Quote from: Cwlongshot on May 10, 2013, 02:34:54 PM
AAH, but if you read my post... It's not as easy as all that. All pellets are just a little different! Deeper skirts require longer probes and shallower skirts shorter ones... SO when making you own ext probes you need to take this into consideration.

This is the best argument in favor of a flow-through style bolt.
Larry

ettolo

This is the best argument in favor of ... an external tool calibrated with each kind of pellet :P
And a 'volume probe' (tm) to reduce the air volume behind the TP ;)

Cwlongshot

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 10, 2013, 02:38:44 PM
This is the best argument in favor of a flow-through style bolt.

IMHO This style bolt is going to have the same issues. If the pellet skirt is in the port its a problem. The hole on the probe still does not seal against anything. Air will still flow around the "flow thru" bolt.

Just like anything else improper use of a "propper" tool may not provide satisfactory results. ;)

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP

quickster47 †

Quote from: Cwlongshot on May 10, 2013, 05:01:41 PM
IMHO This style bolt is going to have the same issues. If the pellet skirt is in the port its a problem. The hole on the probe still does not seal against anything. Air will still flow around the "flow thru" bolt.

Just like anything else improper use of a "propper" tool may not provide satisfactory results. ;)

CW

Perhaps, but a flow through bolt will give much more consistent seating of a wider variety of pellets and therefore more consistent shot results.

No probe yet developed is perfect.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

earlp8

I have to agree the flow through probe seems to be the best option.....Earl

DaveB50

I had read somewhere of a test that was done with a flat faced bolt and a removable pellet seater,  it increased the fps over a bolt with any type of stationary probe. It would be a hassle to use though.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

arkmaker †

Quote from: DaveB50 on May 10, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
I had read somewhere of a test that was done with a flat faced bolt and a removable pellet seater,  it increased the fps over a bolt with any type of stationary probe. It would be a hassle to use though.

No, I think t h e opposite was true. It lost fps. Carl did that test.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

In my original testing of a probe less bolt last year I showed a loss of FPS because my removable piece was not seating the pellet past the transfer port opening.

In tests conducted this year I had to reverse my stand because the probe less bolt outperformed all other bolts.  So, I am still working on a probe less bolt solution that is automatic.

A mechanical engineering friend of mine at MIT is looking at some possible solutions.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

BDS

MIT ?  ok then! :-*

It's gotta be a tapered design to some degree or another for the variety of pellet skirt depths one would use. Maybe the design should be based on just that.. a group of pellets that one prefers (3 or 4 types max?) and design to accomodate those and those only. Good example is Gamo Hunter with a hollow into the head thru the inner skirt and Cros Premier Light with a solid stop about 1/2 way up the inner skirt area.
Brian

quickster47 †

Quote from: BDS on May 10, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
MIT ?  ok then! :-*

It's gotta be a tapered design to some degree or another for the variety of pellet skirt depths one would use. Maybe the design should be based on just that.. a group of pellets that one prefers (3 or 4 types max?) and design to accomodate those and those only. Good example is Gamo Hunter with a hollow into the head thru the inner skirt and Cros Premier Light with a solid stop about 1/2 way up the inner skirt area.

Good points Brian as there is really such a variety in the pellet designs we use.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

arkmaker †

retractable in a flat seal face? Snaps back once you lock the bolt handle in the down position? Maybe a twist of the bolt handle using a cam? Just thinking out loud.

Carl, you have some of the best minds in the country right down the road at Tenn Tech. Challenge one of those bright young fresh minds with this challenge and the chance to win airgun glory. :)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

breakfastchef

Interesting ideas, fellas. But, we first need a darn aftermarket breech that allows a pellet to be loaded smoothly into the leade in. We are pushing .177 and .22 pellets into a .30 cal.+ hole to the back of the barrel.
Larry

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on May 10, 2013, 11:22:51 PM
retractable in a flat seal face? Snaps back once you lock the bolt handle in the down position? Maybe a twist of the bolt handle using a cam? Just thinking out loud.

Carl, you have some of the best minds in the country right down the road at Tenn Tech. Challenge one of those bright young fresh minds with this challenge and the chance to win airgun glory. :)

You're right Rich, and there are a couple of the professors I have met and will call on them also.  Would make a great senior project with, as you say, a chance for airgun glory.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus