• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Money to be made

Started by Crosshairs, May 04, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

Crosshairs

Ok guys i have a question a few people contacted me via face book asking me if i paint guns for other people, after seeing my gray and copper 2240 i posted on FB  they liked what i did and want there's done, not the same color as mine but two colors just like mine was done and some also wanted a trigger job also. My question is what the heck do i charge someone to do this i have no idea.  ??? I do stuff like this with you guys but will swap guns or parts and even work i don't know these people so im kinda lost or should i just forget it.
              Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

I'm not sure about pricing on something like this and the only thing I can offer is that don't let it consume you and don't let this part of your hobby take the fun out of what you are now doing.  It is easy for a sort of hobby like this to get out of control.  Joshua Austin was a prime example of letting it get the best of him.  Hopefully you are well grounded enough that it won't happen.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Crosshairs

Quote from: quickster47 on May 04, 2013, 03:35:54 AM
I'm not sure about pricing on something like this and the only thing I can offer is that don't let it consume you and don't let this part of your hobby take the fun out of what you are now doing.  It is easy for a sort of hobby like this to get out of control.  Joshua Austin was a prime example of letting it get the best of him.  Hopefully you are well grounded enough that it won't happen.

Carl

No way would i even get close to take on the work he did remember i'm retired and like that that way it would be more of a money earning hobby.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

Cost plus labor.

Figure how much time it takes to complete a specific project and put a price on your time. Include prep work, priming, and sanding/polishing, baking, etc.

Figure the cost of the materials including paint, tax, transportation costs, etc.

So, if you figure a job will take three hours to complete you know your labor cost. Add in materials and send the estimate. I think it reasonable to pad the estimate 5%-10% for unexpected situations that may arise.

OR you could just say no and give all the business to BigErn.
Larry

airguns100

Quote from: quickster47 on May 04, 2013, 03:35:54 AM
  Joshua Austin was a prime example of letting it get the best of him. 

Carl

what happened to Josh, anyway?

Charge whatever you want, Mike.  8)
The OG gangster of the "bling"

gdm620

IMHO what ever you charge you need to make sure that they ship it to you with a tracking number and send it back with tracking and insurance.  It could save you some headache if something happens to it in transit.  Because you are dealing with a part that belongs to them.  Who is responsible for what when something goes missing can be a hassle and needs to be discussed before hand.  Just something to think about.
Gary
Crosman 1322
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
.177 PCP target pistol
2300kt with LW barrel

breakfastchef

Bite your tongue. No one knows. He is MIA leaving lots of folks stiffed.

Quote from: airguns100 on May 04, 2013, 03:43:59 AM
what happened to Josh, anyway?
Larry

jSan22

josh let his work consume him and he eventually lost his mind and was absorbed into a alternate dimention.
just kidding, no one knows where he is. and a lot of people left shafted.

droid

I would just test the market Mike, paint another one purely for sale reasons. (Or sell one of yours) Let the market dictate what it is worth, if no real money in it then just keep it anyway.

I don't like being entrusted with customising other peoples guns myself and would rather just take theirs in px against one of mine.

When I get bored of them and sell custom jobs, if they are going to an enthusiast it means more to me for it to go to a good home than make a quick buck.
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Brent

As far as pricing it and managing the customer, I think Larry and Gary gave some solid advice :-*

Carl also hit on a reality of making money with a hobby. I have seen it before, where you start to get more and more people asking... and pretty soon before you know it you have a month's worth of work. Then it sneaks up into two. At that point you want to keep people happy, maintain your reputation, but might be getting slightly bored of it and wanting to be spending some of your time doing other things that make you happy in life. Take one on at a time, might be a good policy.

airguns100

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 04, 2013, 03:47:43 AM
Bite your tongue. No one knows. He is MIA leaving lots of folks stiffed.

Who did he stiff?
The OG gangster of the "bling"

breakfastchef

Quote from: airguns100 on May 04, 2013, 05:15:56 PM
Who did he stiff?

Me, mr007, several folks on the GTA, A. Burciaga...
Larry

arkmaker †

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 04, 2013, 03:43:07 AM
Cost plus labor.

Figure how much time it takes to complete a specific project and put a price on your time. Include prep work, priming, and sanding/polishing, baking, etc.

Figure the cost of the materials including paint, tax, transportation costs, etc.

So, if you figure a job will take three hours to complete you know your labor cost. Add in materials and send the estimate. I think it reasonable to pad the estimate 5%-10% for unexpected situations that may arise.

OR you could just say no and give all the business to BigErn.

Using this formula a painted tube from me would cost ..... oh say 150 bucks plus shipping! My free time is expensive!  :D
But, if you are doing one for Arkmaker, then about 20 bucks sounds fair  :-*

Mike, it is tough for sure trying to figure out a price for your work. I've only lost money in this hobby. I don't know how Mellon ever makes a penny with his prices. I would double and triple some of his part prices if it were me. Just saying, time is what always seems to be overlooked in this cottage industry.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mr007s

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 04, 2013, 05:41:05 PM
Me, mr007, several folks on the GTA, A. Burciaga...

I think he went "into" the closet ???

jSan22

what did you loose, breakfastchef?