• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Giving serious thoughts about PCP!!

Started by Steve-in-Kville, May 06, 2013, 10:50:24 PM

Steve-in-Kville

Not sure if this is the best forum, so mods can move if it doesn'y fit right.....  but I am eyeing up this fine Crosman specimen:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Silhouette_PCP_Air_Pistol/2469

At best, I'd need a handpump until I can find tank to use. I am thinking about competing in 10m or maybe silhouttes. Everyone suggests to go with the IZH 46 single-stroker. And I wouldn't be against that, mind you. But I want a target pistol, that's all I know!!

So should I take the plunge intp PCP? Or not?
Crosman 2260, 2240 & 1377
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

Brent

That's a 1701p.

It has the best trigger crosman makes, and a LW target barrel. The only thing I don't like, is it is heavy.

You might also consider a 2300s, and put the 1701p trigger assembly on it. It is crosman's co2 target silhouette pistol. Same barrel, really nice open sights, 65 or better shot count per powerlet, power adjuster, adjustable trigger pull, etc. I have one, and really like it. Am going to put the 1701p trigger assembly on it some day... but like it fine for now.

The IZH 46 is very sweet, as far as I have read and the loyalty of those that have them. I hear the trigger is adjustable 7 ways to Sunday. Carl has one, so maybe he will jump in here and give you his comparison thoughts. Will own one of those someday, but to many other guns in front of it that I would like to get first someday. I need a scope for 10m, and the IZH is not factory setup for that.

Am actually in the middle of building a 10M purpose built target pistol now, that will be co2 and as light as I can make it.

breakfastchef

Go for it. If you want to stay with a Crosman, take a serious look at the 1701P. If you might want to dabble in silhouette or field target, the 1720T may be a better choice. Walmart currently has an insanely low price on the 1720T (@$170 off MSRP). Any three stage hand pump will be fine for these pistols. I like my Hill MKIII pump very much.

The 10M pistol options are crowded at the top and not much else except the 1701P and the 46M. Next step up is an Alfa Proj. Everything else is $1000+.
Larry

Brent

Forgot about the 1720t.
It is heavier although than the 1701p.

Personally I think a target pistol should be light, but that is the old guy talking whose arm gets tired holding it steady on the target ;)

Actually jumped back in because I wanted to mention grips. The IZH has what are considered real target pistol grips. Something that adjusts up to the bottom of your hand tight, an allows you to use that to help hold the weight of the gun steady, is considered the correct grips to have in serious target shooting. Also, if you hold the gun straight out arm extended, the grip shape should have your hand extended out and down some at the wrist, so you have your wrist locked some to help hold the pistol steady. The 1701p grip shape, makes you have to hold the gun up in the wrist some, like their other grips. Basically, they are not shaped right for a true target hold.

crossliner

I like the IZH too it being a pumper..Too bad they are more than $1,000 here in the Phils.  :)

RC1947

dan_house

hand pump will be fine. the gun is "small" so filling it wont be that difficult. Excpet that our be fillingit 5 or 6 times a day....
Accurate guns are addicting. Dont blame us, youve been warned..... ;)
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

arkmaker †

Can't speak of the Izy, but the 1701p was much more accurate than I could ever be! I try not to think to hard about selling it. Still some regrets. It did not seem heavy to me until I added the wood forearm and grips. Pumping from empty takes about 75-100 strokes. Once filled, I shot down to about 1400 from a start of 2800. That was my sweet spot and I got about 40 good shots in that range. I could squeak another 10 shots or so out of it by filling to 3000 and 10 more by shooting down lower to 1200. POI did not change all that much.
Rich

Carl has had both, he might give his comparison?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Viper1357

Quote from: dan_house on May 07, 2013, 05:38:31 PM
hand pump will be fine. the gun is "small" so filling it wont be that difficult. Excpet that our be fillingit 5 or 6 times a day....
Accurate guns are addicting. Dont blame us, youve been warned..... ;)

Guys, I have to sign out now... I can't keep reading all this fun stuff.. I'm just getting back to Co2 and regular 10 times pumpers.. Now I read obout this PCP stuff... I need to get to my meds.. lol   :o :-\ ;)

OP--- Do it, so you can save me.. at least for now...  Maybe I can watch from a distance.. :-*
- Never said "I wasn't good with a pellet pistol", just said, "I didn't have much need for one."

BDS

Steve: If you are getting into 10 meter pistol shooting in a serious but cost efffective way, the IZH or some version of it's characteristics is a must IMHO

If the match barrel and trigger are a given, next most important are the grips, the 10 meter stance and pistol hold is all about "locking" ones arm and wrist into a single structure and the IZH and other 10 meter pistol grips do this with the angle of the frame and grips and with the all important palm shelf that you see below.

IMO, the Crosman pistols are too heavy, aren't configured correctly and are just a poor fit for even semi-serious 10 meter match shoting.
Brian

onebaddj

PCP is awesome! Initial start up is a little expensive but a good pump is worth every penny. I have a hill pump and use it on all 3 ofmy rifles. The accuracy and ease of shooting a pPCP compared to a spring gun is another level. I think you will love it. A word of caution they are addictive!
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

Steve-in-Kville

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the 2300 CO2's some time back. Maybe I should look again.

The IZH has many great reviews. It is on my radar at this time.
Crosman 2260, 2240 & 1377
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

Brent

Quote from: BDS on May 07, 2013, 07:43:01 PM
Steve: If you are getting into 10 meter pistol shooting in a serious but cost efffective way, the IZH or some version of it's characteristics is a must IMHO

If the match barrel and trigger are a given, next most important are the grips, the 10 meter stance and pistol hold is all about "locking" ones arm and wrist into a single structure and the IZH and other 10 meter pistol grips do this with the angle of the frame and grips and with the all important palm shelf that you see below.

IMO, the Crosman pistols are too heavy, aren't configured correctly and are just a poor fit for even semi-serious 10 meter match shoting.

^^^ Yah... what he said ;)
(and I said ;) - although he said it better, and with pic ;) )

If you want to go with co2/ the 2300S, and get close to the 1701p in comparison quality... consider upgrading the 2300s to the 1701p trigger assembly. You can get it for around $34. You would also need to mod the hammer with the JB Weld mod, or get a Mellon solid hammer, or you can get the 1701p hammer for I think like $32.

If you get the 1701p hammer (which has like a Teflon coating by the way), it uses a striker screwed into the front of it, and this actually shortens the stroke of the hammer to the valve a bit. The options are to not buy the striker and screw a bolt into the hammer with the head cut down (some actually thread the bolt into the hammer a bit, to lengthen the stoke)... use the striker and a slightly stronger/ stiffer hammer spring to push the hammer a little harder into the valve... or use the factory striker and have a slightly reduced fps, because it will not hit the valve stem quite as hard (because of the shorter stroke). The third option is not so bad, as you really don't need allot of fps for target shooting.

(^^^ guys... feel free to edit or expand on any of that... as I am just now looking into maybe using the 1701p hammer instead of the JB Weld mod, as per Anthony's recommendation for the target pistol I am building... and am not sure I have it exactly right yet)

The 1701p grips will fit on all the crosman trigger frames, and are only $1.74 apeice. Many here like them better than the stock grips... and they are cheap.

quickster47 †

I've had both, the 1701P and the IZH-46M. I sold the 1701P and still have both of my IZH-46M airguns.  Both the 1701P and IZH-46M can outshoot me.

The 1701P is great shooting gun but lacks a lot of feel because of the grips. The Izzy just plain feels like a 10 meter target pistol because it is.  The balance, feel, and grips make all the difference in the world.  It is also self contained being a single stroke pneumatic.

I bought my first Izzy in 1999 and still have that gun, and also a second one.  The Izzy can be had for $500.  Next step up is at least $1000 and up.

Buy one and give it a try.  If you don't like it you can always sell it without taking any loss.

I'm at my mother's this week and using my iPad otherwise I would post a picture or two.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †