• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Difference between old 1377 valve and new valve..

Started by Baltim0re28, May 07, 2013, 03:01:53 AM

Baltim0re28

Recently got a 1377 off the Internet for a steal!! After checking the date printed on the tube it was made March 2010. I also have a valve from my backpacker that was made this year. I still had the valve sitting in my parts box and decided to compare the two as I was taking the 1377 apart tonight to get it ready for its new parts that will be ordered in the next few days.. This is the pictures of the two.. Seems like Crosman realized that they needed ALOT better fit than what they were getting from the old one and shaved some off the top..

Old on the left, new in the right..

Most of you guys probably already knew this, but figured I'd post it anyway..

James.

bgmcgee

My big question is why doesn't Crosman just flat top them and save us some work?
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

mudduck48

Before this, the valves were brass. Save money, make them cheaper. Cut down the FPS to make them safer. Up the trigger pull to make them "Child safe" Ride on the Chrosman name to sell products. They don't care if it works, JUST SELL IT!!
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Baltim0re28

Not sure... They were about 1/4 of the way there. Give them about 5-10 years and they will be flat at the pace they are moving.. ;D
James.

WyoMan

Yes sir B028.....the early mod pioneers discovered that after you stuff the piston you trim the valve cone to reduce headspace...
could be that crosman reads the forums to get technical help  ???  ;D

Quote from: bgmcgee on May 07, 2013, 03:07:36 AM
My big question is why doesn't Crosman just flat top them and save us some work?

Flattops don't do alot unless you have an adjustable rigid piston, could be that Crosman doesn't because of cost...sales at Walmart would go down and the unit will self destruct if over adjusted....
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

bgmcgee

You would think if they could make a pcp rifle chambered in.357 with an electronic trigger that they could do this with minimal costs to the consumer and actually make more money on the end product.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on May 07, 2013, 03:15:54 AM
Yes sir B028.....the early mod pioneers discovered that after you stuff the piston you trim the valve cone to reduce headspace...
could be that crosman reads the forums to get technical help  ???  ;D

Flattops don't do alot unless you have an adjustable rigid piston, could be that Crosman doesn't because of cost...sales at Walmart would go down and the unit will self destruct if over adjusted....

Funny thing is, they did use a flat-top piston in the 760. Surely they could make that same piston work in the 13XX guns.

I've done it several times.  :)

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brent

Quote from: bgmcgee on May 07, 2013, 03:22:59 AM
You would think if they could make a pcp rifle chambered in.357 with an electronic trigger that they could do this with minimal costs to the consumer and actually make more money on the end product.

What would be also cool is if they made some of these 13xx and 22xx guns as special limited editions. You know... with some of the  basic nicer mods. Kind of like the CCS guns I guess... but even a little more out there on appearance and power mods.

If they hired BigErn to work for them to design these.. they would be golden ;) lol

WyoMan

Quote from: quickster47 on May 07, 2013, 03:54:17 AM
Funny thing is, they did use a flat-top piston in the 760. Surely they could make that same piston work in the 13XX guns.

I've done it several times.  :)

Carl

They could....but why? The oem piston & cup works fine and will not cause mechanical failure and outlasts orings?
You put high pressure internals in the oem setup and do it cheaply then you get more warranty work....
performance, quality, cost - you get to pick any two you want which is why we mod  :)
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

agninja

Whenever I go to walmart I stroll through the airgun section just cuz. Nearly everytime I'm there I always see someone else in the aisle too, either looking, buying something, or talking to the person they are with about airguns. As is true of walmart folk, these are generally the "lowest common denominator" kind of folk if you know what I mean.  Definitely not people I'd like to hang out and shoot cans with. But the reality is that these are the masses that Crosman markets and sells their airguns to.

I'm not sure if it's that they want to limit the power of their guns, because high "FPS" certainly sells, and their springers are quiet powerful. It's probably more a function of cost and reliability. An inferior gun may be a little less powerful and less accurate, but it's cheaper to make, easier to sell to kids, and less likely to malfunction or breakdown. And since your average walmarter isn't a professional airgunner, it makes it an easy decision for Crosman to continue to produce their guns in the manner they always have.

The shaving down of the nose on the valve is really just a slight manufacturing tweek, not a significant change in the engineering of the gun. Crosman is known to do that from time to time. They come out with newer models, some slightly different parts, but the fundamentals of the powerplant and operation of the gun have remained relatively unchanged since they started producing them way back when.
Black air pistols matter.

BDS

Quote from: Brent on May 07, 2013, 03:58:17 AM
What would be also cool is if they made some of these 13xx and 22xx guns as special limited editions. You know... with some of the  basic nicer mods. Kind of like the CCS guns I guess... but even a little more out there on appearance and power mods.

If they hired BigErn to work for them to design these.. they would be golden ;) lol

They couldn't afford Big Ern  :D ;D

Anyway, about one year back, Chip at Crosman commented that there would be "additions" to the CCS guns offered by Crosman on their website. So, still nothing as of now but, the thought at the time was to offer the 13XX type guns as std. with the backpacker type pumparm and the 12" barrel and then select options (like the 2300 CCS guns) with the RB grips and/or pump arms, different length barrels, brakes, etc, etc.

I'm guessing that Cros mgmt. never blessed this or didn't see the merit in it?
Brian