• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Portable Target Stand with Backstop

Started by Gareth, May 28, 2013, 04:49:06 PM

Gareth

Along with several other useful shooting accessories, such as a pistol perch, for example, I constructed the depicted item with two sections of 2x4, a section of 2x6, a section of 4x4, a 4'x6' sheet of 5/8th" plywood, and four casters. The removable 'shelf' for the banana box stuffed with rags was made with 5/8th" and 3/4" plywood, along with a section of 2x4. I use a section of log chain with a snaffle to easily relocate it to wherever I want it.

None of my CO2 arms can fully penetrate any portion of this backstop with any kind of diabolo pellet... However, just to prove to those who might possibly think otherwise, I transported the rag stuffed banana box to the range where I shot it with one of my 9x19 cast 115 grain RN cast bullet handloads, and let's just say it's a good thing there was a solid berm of earth where the bullet impacted after it passed through the box of rags as if it were a sheet of paper.  ;)

Colt25

ettolo

Gareth

Quote from: Colt25 on May 28, 2013, 05:19:21 PM
Nice target trap!
Thank you.  :)
I made another smaller, portable target stand that I take to the range. With various attachments, I can shoot paper targets, metal swingers, clay pigeons, or splat water filled plastic bottles, which I especially enjoy doing.

Gareth

Quote from: ettolo on May 28, 2013, 05:38:23 PM
I like your garden!!!  :D :D

That's a compliment I didn't really expect... Thank you.

My wife and I design our own landscaping projects, and, except for the bigger jobs, such as an enclosed concrete patio, we do most of the physical work ourselves. We are currently having a heavy 6' stockade fence constructed across the back of our lot for privacy, and additional security.

chongman

Very cool stand and I dig those big rocks!
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Gareth

Quote from: chongman on May 28, 2013, 05:54:58 PM
Very cool stand and I dig those big rocks!

They're called featherstones. But, believe me, they're as heavy as practically any other rocks. My back can attest to that fact.

Crosshairs

Good idea with the target stand  Nice job.
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

agninja

I like the shade of green that I've never seen before anywhere.
Black air pistols matter.

Gareth

Quote from: agninja on May 28, 2013, 06:11:48 PM
I like the shade of green that I've never seen before anywhere.

It helps the rack blend in a bit with the surrounding vegetation. My wife thanked me for selecting this cooler color.

agninja

Quote from: Gareth on May 28, 2013, 06:18:02 PM

It helps the rack blend in a bit with the surrounding vegetation. My wife thanked me for selecting this cooler color.
Knowing me, I would've painted the whole thing camo.  :D

At first I was thinking this may be a bit oversized for an airgun backstop. But if you had any issues with neighbors, you can point to its size as proof that there's no way for you to miss or shoot through the target and put them at risk.

Gareth

Quote from: agninja on May 28, 2013, 06:25:09 PM
Knowing me, I would've painted the whole thing camo.  :D

At first I was thinking this may be a bit oversized for an airgun backstop. But if you had any issues with neighbors, you can point to its size as proof that there's no way for you to miss or shoot through the target and put them at risk.

The safety factor was a primary consideration... This is also one of the reasons why we're having a solid stockade perimeter fence installed across the back of our property.

agninja

Quote from: Gareth on May 28, 2013, 06:58:55 PM

The safety factor was a primary consideration... This is also one of the reasons why we're having a solid stockade perimeter fence installed across the back of our property.
Well "technically" you are not supposed to shoot in an "unsafe" direction, particularly if there are people and (to a lesser extent) property down range.

With airguns we can skirt around some of the rules that powder burners must adhere to, for instance, "knowing your backstop". And since you have a nearly fool proof backstop I would say there shouldn't be any safety issues. However, I probably wouldn't advise shooting if there were people visible behind the backstop somewhere.

Fronzdan

Nice target!

Did you make that knuckle knife in your photo stream?  That is NiCe!!

Gareth

Quote from: Fronzdan on May 28, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
Nice target!

Did you make that knuckle knife in your photo stream?  That is NiCe!!

Aside from the firearms and reloading tools, the knuckle knife is one of the few items I didn't make. I made the load bench, portable SDB stand, portable reloading stand, and chessboards.