• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

The Dissuader!

Started by USMA-1982, June 23, 2013, 05:59:01 AM

USMA-1982

Mockingbirds have discovered my wife's blueberry bushes.  She's been chasing them away with a broom, but they only fly as far as a white oak in the neighbor's yard and as soon as the coast is clear they swoop back in.  Picked up this 190fps air soft at Gander Mtn for $12 bucks to discourage them.  Pinged one on the leg this evening, don't think I did any permanent damage, but no more Mockingbirds in the blueberries at least for tonight.  Tomorrow is another day however.  Coffee on the deck  in the morning with the "Dissuader".

Ed

Fredericksburg VA

jSan22

if they were eating my blueberries, and if it was legal, they would have lead poisoning!

chongman

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

breakfastchef

The awesomeness of a 0.3 joule pistol! I bought a similar pistol to shoo away raccoons from the bird  and suet feeders on the deck. One day I unloaded four shots into a coons belly. He scratched a few times like he had an itch and kept eating.
Larry

USMA-1982

Raining this morning so coffee inside.  I've been watching from the kitchen window though and the Mbirds are staying away for the time being.  Raccoons would definitely call for heavier artillery, but I kind of like the Mockingbirds.  They have personality, plus they eat a lot of bugs.

Incidentally, the trigger broke on the third shot, but what can you expect from a $12 pistol.  I took it apart and saw that the pivot pin was molded into the trigger and had snapped off cleanly on one side.  So I ground off the other side, drilled it and inserted a new SS pivot pin I made from a 7/64 drill bit that had snapped working on another project.  Reassembled and it shoots just fine, in fact the trigger pull is much smoother with the new SS pin as opposed to plastic pins in plastic pivot holes (is there a technical term for the holes - well, you know what I mean).  But the point of this little vignette is that before getting hooked on Crosmans and joining this forum, I would have headed straight back to Gander or even just tossed it.  Instead it turned into a fun little project and my little plastic air soft is now a "sweet" shooter!
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

KevinP

(is there a technical term for the holes -

perhaps, but not on this forum ....   ;D ;D
Kevin
Albany, New York

USMA-1982

Sssspppplllltttttt!  Coffee all over the iPad
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

Fronzdan

Haha...I once tried a full auto air soft shooting in the high 300's fps on a skunk, who was trashing my lawn looking for grubs.  It actually walked toward me while I unloaded about 100 bbs on it.  Must have felt like a good back scratch cuz he just slowly walked away, taking his time to stop and sniff a few more times.  Plus he came back for more a couple nights later.

Tater

Modding/tweaking a $12 Airsoft pistol.......awesome.   :D
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

USMA-1982

Fronzdan, if I had a skunk in my yard, I would be the one to slowly back away.  Engaging on full auto, wow!

Jerry, yes it really is a disease.
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

agninja

I wonder if you can flat top those airsoft guns, lolz.  :D

I shot a bird once with an airsoft sniper rifle I have. I think it shoots about 500 fps. The thing dropped like a rock and didn't move for a couple minutes. Eventually it woke up, shook it off, and flew away. I'm pretty sure it got the message I was sending. 
Black air pistols matter.

USMA-1982

At 500 fps I think I'd get the message too!

Ed

Fredericksburg VA

agninja

Quote from: USMA-1982 on June 24, 2013, 07:26:49 PM
At 500 fps I think I'd get the message too!
Trust me, I know that message all too well. I was shot in the face by a similar airsoft rifle the first time I ever played. A sniper snuck into our HQ and nobody bothered to secure our perimeter. My shemagh wasn't covering my face then because I was drinking and relaxing and thought I was safe. Then all of a sudden I look up and see a ghili suit and a scope and just as I duck down, the round that was aimed at my center of mass instead hit me right in the chin!
Black air pistols matter.

USMA-1982

Haha, a sniper sneaking into your HQ in a ghillie suit - l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

breakfastchef

I rooted through a cabinet yesterday for the airsoft pistol I purchased for dissuading squirrels and coons from eating at the "all day buffet". Turns out it is the same pistol as USMA-1982 bought. And, when I went to test fire it, the trigger pivot point had broken off so it would not fire. So, as the OP did, I drilled out and replaced the pivots with sections of drill bits. Then I did a lube tune. For fun, I ran it over the chronograph and am getting a whopping 149 fps out of it.
Larry