• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Big chain stores that carry serious airguns?

Started by Petrifiedwood, July 04, 2013, 09:23:06 PM

Petrifiedwood

In my small town, all we have is a walmart and a Big 5 sporting goods store. Both of them carry airguns and pellets, but most of those are the "toy' style airguns designed to look like powder burners, and their selection of pellets is extremely limited. Neither carry true high-end airguns. also, the nearest Cabelas to me (in Lehigh, UT) doesn't carry any better selection either.

Are there any big national or multinational retailers that stock high-end airguns, or is it pretty much mail order only?

Do you have a local shop that sells specialty airguns, or do you do most of your buying online?

Just curious. Back when I was a kid, I remember a few sporting goods stores that sold a better grade of airguns back then. You could find the Benjamin and Sheridan guns which were much nicer than the plastic stocked Daisy guns.

The good thing is most places do carry the 1377 classics, but I have yet to see 22xx or 23xx CO2 powered guns on the shelves in my recent search of these stores in the past couple of weeks. Of course, stores will only stock what sells. It's just curious that a pistol like the 2240 at it's price point isn't selling enough for walmart and other big chains to stock it.

I did find the Benjamin Discovery hunting pellet assortment in .22 caliber at a walmart, so there's that. And I've read of some of you finding backpackers and other models. I know the stores inventory varies regionally, and it might just be that powder burners are so popular here that airguns are not taken seriously. I like them all! :D

Trophyhunter49

Where I live(Smithville,Ms./Amory,Ms.) Walmart has put the small sporting goods stores out of business . So just about all my airguns are mail order!

eric

depends on where you're located ---- PA is a ware house style business meaning no walk in customer sales where as AOA you walk into --- i think more folks get daystates,air arms, theobens,beemans ,etc ... thru mail order because of the very few dealers aren't local to them(the buyer) .the market is pretty small for airguns and even smaller for the high end stuff .walmart carries a good variety but that again is online and i think for some places like that they couldn't give customer support like the smaller vendors which either supply online/walk in sales or both .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

brz-ryder †

As far as i have seen around my town other than a couple of 1377`s that the only good air pistols i`ve seen Dunham`s, Gander Mt ,Wally world all it seems they carry is a few springer rifles. What really suprised me was Gander Mt doesn`t carry much even on their web site they don`t even sell a 2240. WM does sell good guns online

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

Trophyhunter49

:(  Shoot my local WalMart does'nt even sale the 13XXs.  All they have are a few Fury breakbarrels , pellets CO2 carts (15 to a box) and the M4 177. O by the way they do have a few Daisy's .

brz-ryder †

I didn`t mean Wally World for the 1377 the only ones i found here in Johnstown were at Gander Mt WW here only carries BB guns in pistols at my local store pellets guns a few springer and Daisy pumpers

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

1377x

pretty much mom and pop stores
airgunning isnt a well known sport event though they have olympic events
here in MN we have a few stores like the local crosman service station been around 30+ years and straightshooters which is well known  among the ag forums
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Walmart and I think Cabelas both have in-store free shipping. Just look online and find what you want.
Of course it's nowhere near the selection at P.A. or A.O.A.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

rangerfredbob

If you have them by you, I believe BiMart carries 2240's on the shelf (that's where I got mine).

If you have them Sportsmans Warehouse carries some Benjamin guns as well as some Stoeger guns, as well as both 1377 and 1322 as well as a decent selection of pellets although expensive.

From there you are left with what WalMart will ship sight to store (IE free shipping)
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

dptrucker32chip

Bass pro , Academy they have a fair selection down here in Nw La ,NE Tx ,SW Ar  .  :-*
Dave

agninja

Nowadays it seems like Gamo is trying to take over the retail store market. All I see is Gamo and Crosman when I go to sporting good stores. They typically only sell lower quality airguns in retail stores. Beeman makes a fine airgun, but the only one I've ever seen is that crappy one they sell at walmart. In the 90s my friend bought a Diana at Galyan's, but that's just a cheaper version of RWS airguns. Fortunately we can shop for airguns online now and we aren't forced to choose from the poor selection available at retail stores.
Black air pistols matter.

twigboy

Quote from: agninja on July 05, 2013, 04:56:55 PMbought a Diana at Galyan's,

Ahh.  Galyan's. now that was a place to go.  We had one briefly before it got sucked up by Dick's although it is still one of my favorites (Northern Virginia).  Not thrilled with the selection at Dick's stores as is mostly airsoft stuff and paintball but as you would expect in urban/suburban areas.  Online deals are great but the shipping is killer considering you won't spend as much on gas to get to the store instead and you can't hold and operate anything online until it has been shipped. Anyone out there in retail ventures listening?

T191032

Pretty much Online-order for the higher-end airguns.   Then again, think of the days when Air Gun Headquarters was in business - it was mail order for low and high end Air guns - from West VA, before Beeman Precision came along and swallowed up the high-end market in the 1970s.

:-*
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.