• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Bling On A Budget Part II

Started by chongman, July 14, 2013, 08:05:02 PM

chongman

Everyone must remember Larry's (breakfastchef) Bling On A Budget Custom Crosman 1740 from a few months back.

I'd like to continue that concept, doing cool stuff on the cheap. 

I'll begin with a 2240 tube.  To start, gather some 220,320, and 400 grit silicone carbide (the black type) sand paper. I used half a sheet of 220, a sheet of 320, and almost two sheets of 400. I also used some 0000 steel wool.

Sand your tube to the level of finish that suits you.  I'm not quite done with the steel wool yet, my hands are cramping so I have to take a break!

In case your wondering where we are going with this it's not going to be just a polished tube!

Stay tuned for the next installment  8)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

breakfastchef

You worked pretty hard on that, Michael, to remove most of the circumferential marks that are on most tubes. The last tube I got could have doubled as an emery board.
Larry

bgmcgee

Looks good. :-* That's a lot of hand work there. Myself I'm lazy so I get out the power tools. :P
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

chongman

Your right Larry, some of the tubes are downright disgraceful.

I like to work the metal by hand vice power tools.  In this case it's something you can do most anyplace...sitting on a stack of pallets during lunch hour or when you just want to get in the "zone" without making any noise.

So, while your getting your tube ready (in case there's anybody working with me on this), go ahead and get the tube plug and C02 cap started too. The C02 cap we will just polish out the machine marks on the face, leaving the slot and knurled portion blued finish intact.

This is not exclusive to the 2240 so break out your 13xx tube and join in  :-*

Edit: For the curious we will take these parts to Gauntlet II. The guys on low budget will be able to stand out!

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

targettgii

Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

BigErn

Looking good so far  :-*  Polishing the tubes is the hardest thing to polish  >:( >:( >:(

crossliner

Quote from: BigErn on July 15, 2013, 01:12:05 PM
Looking good so far  :-*  Polishing the tubes is the hardest thing to polish  >:( >:( >:(

Here I just pay my plater friend $3 max to do it for me  :)

BigErn

Quote from: crossliner on July 15, 2013, 01:30:31 PM
Here I just pay my plater friend $3 max to do it for me  :)

>:( >:( >:(  LUCKY!!!  I spent hours and hours polishing my tube  ;D 

chongman

Well, it seems nobody is joining in on this so I will proceed  ;D

I'll start with the tube plug...

I have some cheap mustard, scored from the local shop n' rob and some tooth picks for application. You can do anything you like here, I just went with a random pattern.

After letting it set" for twenty minutes I washed off the mustard and scrubbed with some baking soda to stop the acidic process.

You could (and I will) go for another application of the mustard within the pattern to increase the details. A protective coating with EEZOX will be done when the plug is finished.

So, now that you have see what you can do to enhance the look of your parts on a seriously low budget... go for it!

breakfastchef

Quote from: chongman on July 21, 2013, 08:29:48 PM

So, now that you have see what you can do to enhance the look of your parts on a seriously low budget... go for it!

I learned something new today. The mustard mod is outstanding, Michael. Subtle and interesting. I just finished polishing a 2240 tube, end caps and a breech this weekend. May have to consider trying this little delight.
Larry

bgmcgee

That's a pretty cool idea Michael.  Can't get much more budget friendly than that. All you need is a hot dog to finish off the mustard. ;D
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

chongman

Barry, hotdogs I got  ;D Always no less than 4 packs in the freezer, all year long!

I think the "mustard" mod" looks pretty cool. I guess we could call it "Metal Camo" :-*

Davio

Very cool mod, Master!  :-* 

This grasshopper began the mod in earnest, but with grey poupon.  It looked so good I ate it!  Will see how it turns out in a couple more days.  ;D ;D
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

Currahee

we did the same thing on knives and muzzle loaders to age them, really a nice look when you are done with it. you can do the same with ketchup, anything with a high acid content.
:-*
we were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever.