Loc-tite scope mount adapters?

Started by Tater, July 23, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

Tater

Quote from: bgmcgee on July 24, 2013, 04:16:06 AM
I like it. :-*Looks from here you should be able to load pellets, looks to be as much room I have on my 1377.

Cool, I think I'll be able to load it too. It's favorite pellet (Daisy HP   :o) requires me to have to push the pellet past the breech port with a toothpick. Next time the breech is off, I smooth up the port as mentioned in a thread here.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Fronzdan

Oh heck that's perfect.  From the pic of the scope alone it looked like it would be too low.  That's right where you want it!

Tater

And the dot is TINY. Even the plain crosshairs are really thin. I might even go with the crosshairs® even though my intention was a tiny dot. I'll try 'em both tomorrow or Thurs.
Chipmunks, Hosps,and paper targets beware.....
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Fronzdan

Yeah for the sights that I have with the multiple reticle/dot, I prefer one of the crosshairs with the dot in the center.  It's much easier to see and works great for bullseyes.

Tater

Update:
I made sure the rings/adapter/scope were all lined up and tightened everything down. I had minimal time to shoot and only took a few shots from 12'. Trying two different reticules, all shots were 5" low and 5" to the right.
I looked it over thoroughly under bright lighting and nothing seem canted or tilted at all. My wife looked it over very closely too. Could it be the adapter/rings combo? I'm using the rings that came with the scope so I know they are cheapies. Do you guys think just remounting it might give different results or are would better rings be needed? Anyone have a Bushnell red dot and have luck with the stock rings?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

breakfastchef

I assume you made windage and elevation adjustments to try and center the shots. I also assume you know the pistol can shoot on target with a different type sight. I am sure you have checked that all your screws are tights and the barrel is inline with the compression tube.

I have both a Millett and Ultradot with similar stock rings as the Bushnell and both are solidly mounted and very accurate.

Quote from: Tater on July 25, 2013, 05:28:08 AM
Update:
I made sure the rings/adapter/scope were all lined up and tightened everything down. I had minimal time to shoot and only took a few shots from 12'. Trying two different reticules, all shots were 5" low and 5" to the right.
I looked it over thoroughly under bright lighting and nothing seem canted or tilted at all. My wife looked it over very closely too. Could it be the adapter/rings combo? I'm using the rings that came with the scope so I know they are cheapies. Do you guys think just remounting it might give different results or are would better rings be needed? Anyone have a Bushnell red dot and have luck with the stock rings?
Larry

Tater

Quote from: breakfastchef on July 25, 2013, 05:39:12 AM
I assume you made windage and elevation adjustments to try and center the shots. I also assume you know the pistol can shoot on target with a different type sight. I am sure you have checked that all your screws are tights and the barrel is inline with the compression tube.

I have both a Millett and Ultradot with similar stock rings as the Bushnell and both are solidly mounted and very accurate.

I actually didn't try/have time to adjust windage and elevation. At 12' from the target, I figured I'd run out of clicks to have to move the POI 5". The pistol was shooting perfectly accurate with a cheap BSA 3 MOA red dot right before removing it and adding the Bushnell. I upgraded only to have the smaller dot and crosshairs.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

cherokeesteve

Seems like a lot, not unheard of though. Make sure those adapters are seated properly.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Tater

Quote from: cherokeesteve on July 25, 2013, 10:47:43 AM
Seems like a lot, not unheard of though. Make sure those adapters are seated properly.

Me and my wife looked very closely from every angle and nothing seemed "off" at all. I guess I'll try remounting it tonight. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to look at new rings.   :(
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

JEBert

Jerry,
Assuming you have both rings and both adapters oriented the same direction:
One thing I have done with regular scopes before when it was way off after the first few shots, is to center the reticle. Turn one of the adjustment knobs all the way in one direction until you feel resistance, and then turn it back all the way the other way while counting the clicks until it again stops turning.  Then turn it back half the number of total clicks.  Repeat with the other adjustment. IE, if you did elevation first, repeat with the windage adjustment.
Theoretically, that should center the dot but depending on how well it was engineered and constructed inside, it may not.  Just in case, count the clicks at the beginning in case you need to return to the original setting.
Hope you can get it sighted in.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Tater

Quote from: JEBert on July 25, 2013, 06:43:34 PM
Jerry,
Assuming you have both rings and both adapters oriented the same direction:
One thing I have done with regular scopes before when it was way off after the first few shots, is to center the reticle. Turn one of the adjustment knobs all the way in one direction until you feel resistance, and then turn it back all the way the other way while counting the clicks until it again stops turning.  Then turn it back half the number of total clicks.  Repeat with the other adjustment. IE, if you did elevation first, repeat with the windage adjustment.
Theoretically, that should center the dot but depending on how well it was engineered and constructed inside, it may not.  Just in case, count the clicks at the beginning in case you need to return to the original setting.
Hope you can get it sighted in.
Cheers,

Thanks, I will try that too. Would a brand new scope come with the adjustment knobs not in the middle of the range?
I'll switch the front rings with the back as well.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

breakfastchef

Quote from: Tater on July 25, 2013, 06:49:52 PM
Thanks, I will try that too. Would a brand new scope come with the adjustment knobs not in the middle of the range?
I'll switch the front rings with the back as well.

Seriously, why look for a problem that may not even exist. Three shots at 12' does not tell you anything except that your pellets were off low and to the side by 5". [size=78%]Just zero the scope.[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]
Larry

JEBert

QuoteWould a brand new scope come with the adjustment knobs not in the middle of the range?
That's what you are checking for.  It may depend on which knucklehead was on that part of the assembly line that day and if QC caught it or not.  :)
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

BDS

Tater, I'm guessing you had another sight mounted on the stock dovetails?  Were the rings also lower?

Keep in mind that the dovetails (theoretically) should be in  aligment with the barrel in both X and Y centerlines. Also, with the weaver adaptor inserted and higher rings you are now "stacking" height above centerline and any error or alignment issues in dovetail to barrel are amplified as you get further away from the dovetail grooves.

Also, try the new scope and rings on another gun if you can before you tear the rings/scope assembly down, and... you need at LEAST 10 meters to have a valid test of your scope. 12 feet ain't gonna work.

Last, 5 inches is a ton of adjustment and the reticle may not even adjust that far with out bottoming and loosening the reticle mounts/springs (bad, very bad)
Brian

JEBert

Quotethe reticle may not even adjust that far with out bottoming and loosening the reticle mounts/springs (bad, very bad)
This is correct.  If you are going to try to center the dot/reticle (as per my previous post), be very careful.  When you get to the end of adjustment, stop when you feel any resistance.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member