• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Best way to shoot a scoped 2300/2240 etc

Started by Bazmati2020, August 31, 2013, 03:44:55 PM

Bazmati2020

Hi

It's the monthly pistol HFT competition at my club next week and I will be using my 2300T again :-\

Now the pistol is very accurate, but I'm not  :-[ rested or if I fit my stock lots of tight groups and bulls, but freestanding its more Like a shot gun.

The hold I have tried is leaning in the crook of the opposite arm (here are some examples at a previous competition- http://leavalleyagc.myfreeforum.org/about941.html )

Are there other holds any of you use or any advice because its just not working for me, I see the scope moving around  :(

bgmcgee

Best advice I can give is practice,practice and then practice some more. Some guys use what is called the taco hold, you can search for that. I know Breakfastchef has been trying it out so he could explain it better. I've tried the hold you are using and it didn't work for me.  I pretty much just use a traditional hold been shooting like that for awhile so I guess that's what I'm used to
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

breakfastchef

Taco hold, or variation thereof, is probably going to yield the best results. But, as Barry noted, it will take some practice. This all assumes you are using a rifle scope, not a long eye relief pistol scope. I tried the over arm and it was just too uncomfortable for me.

I find center mass of the scope where the turret knobs are located is a good place for my support hand to grab the gun. This is about where the pistol balance point is located. Some like to hold closer to the muzzle. It is all about trying out different holds and finding what works best for you. You can easily get in to a situation where your hands are fighting each other around the pivolt point you create with the taco hold. I tend to use the supporting hand to get mostly on target and use the shooting hand to make final adjustment. If you start tensing up, one hand will push forward, the other back or down and you will have a dizzying sight picture. Relax!

Last tip, decide what you are focusing on while looking down range and stick with it. I find that either concentrating on the target OR the crosshairs is important. All to often we focus in the area between these two points and our scores kind of stall. I use a red dot for a lot of my target shooting and have found that 100% concentration on the dot only works better for me.
Larry

arkmaker †

That first one looks pretty steady.

I have had luck using my left hand in a loose fist under the tube in front of the trigger frame. I try to rest my left elbow on my side. I saw that Paul Bishop had success with that hold using the P-rod and tried it. But then, not much works for me outside of a rest  ;)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Bazmati2020

Thanks guys, that's really interesting and not a concept I would ever have thought of at all.  I had tried holding underneath like with a rifle and digging my elbow into my side (didn't work). 

I'm going to give it a go :-*

Found a video on YouTube on it (bit not scoped air pistol)

I am using a rifle scope (cross point)

Thank you  :-*

breakfastchef

Excellent examples! I prefer to hold my head straight as in the last two examples. Cocking the head like the fellow in the first photo with the 46M adds more complexity to the position.

Quote from: rws_53 on August 31, 2013, 05:03:38 PM
images of "taco hold"

http://www.curragh.com/pellets/tx03/DSCN2315.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/CrosmanCorp/IMG_8664.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/CrosmanCorp/IMG_1595.jpg
Larry

KevinP

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 31, 2013, 05:48:36 PM
Excellent examples! I prefer to hold my head straight as in the last two examples. Cocking the head like the fellow in the first photo with the 46M adds more complexity to the position.

For sure ... face the target, head up. place sights info your shooting eye ....
Kevin
Albany, New York

Tater

Larry, could you see a taco hold being possible with a set up like this (small red dot):

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

breakfastchef

Quote from: Tater on August 31, 2013, 06:03:12 PM
Larry, could you see a taco hold being possible with a set up like this (small red dot):

If the dot sight were mounted in front of the loading port, Jerry, I could see that working better with the taco hold. As your pistol is currently configured, your supporting hand would be grasping the dot sight and behind the balance point of the gun. Your supporting hand would be both supporting the pistol weight and fighting with the muzzle end wanting to pivot down toward gravity.

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert on these matters.
Larry

Tater

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 31, 2013, 06:20:30 PM

If the dot sight were mounted in front of the loading port, Jerry, I could see that working better with the taco hold. As your pistol is currently configured, your supporting hand would be grasping the dot sight and behind the balance point of the gun. Your supporting hand would be both supporting the pistol weight and fighting with the muzzle end wanting to pivot down toward gravity.

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert on these matters.

Thanks, and that is what I figured would be he case. I'd love to move the scope forward, it's close, but just a bit too long to fit on the front of the breech.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

KevinP

I have to agree with Larry on this ......
Kevin
Albany, New York

breakfastchef

Quote from: Tater on August 31, 2013, 06:28:05 PM
Thanks, and that is what I figured would be he case. I'd love to move the scope forward, it's close, but just a bit too long to fit on the front of the breech.

Jerry, there are three feasible ways to go about this. One is to use a single ring to hold the dot sight. Another possibility is to use two rings on the the rear part of the sight for extra stability allowing the front of the sight to float. The third way, and one I suggest, is to buy one of the cheap UTG dovetail to weaver adapters which gives you a good 3.5"-4" of mounting area so you could have a scope ring on both ends like you do now. There is added height with the adapter, but I've had no problem zeroing in a dot sight in this configuration.
Larry

Tater

That is a great idea BFC and I wish I tried that initially. I had no idea I might want to try the taco hold when I mounted it.
But mounting it was a big issue. I ended up have to use adjustable scope rings like these: 
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-USA-Elevation-Adjustable/dp/B002K7A2LI

It took me a while to get them adjusted and now they are just perfect. I'd hate to take them back off again.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs