• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Started by vaquero57, October 05, 2013, 05:44:03 PM

vaquero57

Hi guys. I have been trolling several airgun sights for a while now and figured I would join to ask a few questions. I know this is a pistol forum but let me ask. I am torn between a Crosman 1377 or a benjamin 397. I generally want something for plinking and small game hunting. I see the 1377 is so highly customizeable and that appeals to me because I am lacking a project right now. But what is alluring to the 397 is the awesome energy and power right out of the box without any mods. Can anyone shed some light on the most basic power mods for a 1377 and what these mods will gain me on fpe and velocity? I saw this sight, http://crosmods.com/performance.html, and liked their flat top piston. Is it really as simple as spending 35 bucks on a flattop piston and installing it and gaining 100 fps? I have google searched to no end and am extremely overwhelmed about all the different power mods I have read about.

I want to state that I am looking for generous power mods on 10-12 pumps. I have no desire to pump a multi pump airgun 20-30 times  which is what some claim to do after valve porting ect.

So tell me on a working mans budget what can be done with a 1377 to make it an efficient hunting machine at say 30 yards or closer.

1377x

get the 397 if lots of pumping is not desired
1377's can get some good power but by the time you are done modding you could have bought the 397 for less
closed mouths dont get fed

vaquero57

Ok I am glad to get a straightforward answer. Thats all I was wondering. I may have to get a 1377 someday just for fun. A buddy of mine had one in the early 80s when I was a kid. Pretty cool gun. Took alot of bullfrogs.

airriflenut

Pick whichever suits your needs best, I'm not familiar with the 397 so I can't say on that one, I guess I should look it up sometime.

If you ever do decide to get a 1377 as a mod project you will enjoy it immensely!!!  You can find flat top pistons for $25 at mountain airguns, maybe cheaper on eBay or amazon.  If you go flat top you'll need a flat top valve unless you have some means to flat top the factory valve.

I did a full-blown power mod on my 1377...Crosmods breech and trigger assembly and 1 1/2" shroud.  I've made a longer check valve and reducer (volume) ring from Delrin, this reduces the valve volume for more pressure per stroke/pump.  Made an entirely new valve stem/valve that is way more efficient at dumping 100% air...even at 60 pumps (did it just so I could say I did it).  Still has the factory 10.25" barrel and it's a sledgehammer on squirrels with 13 grain JSB Monsters!!

Too many mods to clog up your thread listing them.  The humble 1377 is a modders dream, as soon as I get done with the two 22xx mods I'm in the middle of I'm going to build a 1377 rifle with my power mods!!
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

vaquero57

I know it would be fun! Before I ever decide to start a project like this though I need to invest in a chrono. Would be pointless to do any mods if I couldn't see the results.

airriflenut

I would love to have a chrony to honestly validate and document my mods!  The wife has been gracious enough to allow me these two 22xx mods (the one for myself isn't going to be cheap) I don't want to push my luck asking for a chrony.  Our income is very limited so I'd rather spend the money on mods.

I did find an Android "chrony" app I tried, chrony connect I think it was.  It gives figures based on sound-to-sound.  You can set certain parameters but without a chrony or access to one I cannot say how accurate it actually is.  I had a 3-shot string that according to the app averaged over 800 fps with the 1377 mod at 40 pumps.  No way to verify it.
Sterling

vaquero57

Anyone here ever used this app? Thats kind of interesting.

1377x

if you have a droid phone you can use the chronoconnect app(it's free) as a chrono until you can get a proper one. it can show you that your mods are paying off
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJI2s-imjCU#]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJI2s-imjCU#[/url]

airriflenut

I'm going to try it out again with my 22xx mod from start to finish just to see what numbers it will give.
Sterling

1377x

check out youtube there are a few videos there with people using the chronoconnect app well it might be all chronoconnects videos  i didnt look to see who was posting them

bgmcgee

I would say as long as you set up the phone the same way every time it would be accurate enough to atleast determine if your more are going in the right direction. I see it as another tool to help.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

airriflenut

Quote from: bgmcgee on October 06, 2013, 03:23:28 AM
I would say as long as you set up the phone the same way every time it would be accurate enough to atleast determine if your more are going in the right direction. I see it as another tool to help.

With a pumper it's a pain because it will register the sounds of the pump...had to restart for every shot.  Then, if your muzzle brake is effective it won't register the muzzle report.  It should work much better on my CO2 mod in the works...I'll post info in my thread on that mod.
Sterling

1377x

thats good to know
never would have thought about that

vaquero57

Does it register the sound of the pellet going by the phone or the sound of the muzzle report combined with the sound of the pellet hitting the target? I know a standard chrono measures the time of the shadow of the projectile. Just trying to figure out what two sounds this app combines to get the results.

1377x

i would think it measures shot report and impact report. i remember someone saying with a ldc attached to the gun the app wouldnt work