• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Accuracy of a BB gun

Started by Crosshairs, November 05, 2013, 09:02:16 PM

Crosshairs

Most of you old timers know i have a love for BB guns for many reasons. First of all i really like the fast semi auto action and being able to shoot 20 or so shots with out reloading. I'm a big fan of draw point and shoot my BB guns this in not only a blast to do but great training for self defense practice. Setting up 6 soda cans about 3 to 4 feet apart then step back 20 feet draw point and shoot as fast as you can, if anyone don't understand point and shoot it's just what it sounds like your really not aiming the gun or using the sights kinda. So the point of all this what makes one BB gun more accurate then another. If you think about it they all well 98% of them have a smooth bore. So how can one shoot better it's just a steel ball propelled down a smooth tube. And length don't have a thing to do with it in some cases. Lets take my Makarov only has a 3 to 31/2 " barrel and will shoot a group the size of a quarter from 16 feet you can see that in my video now my S&W M&P R8 has a 5" barrel and shoots like crap compared to the Makarov. So what do you guys think it's has to be something besides the barrel so lets hear your input on this.
                      Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

woody67

I don't have much experience with bb's, but does bb weight and speed contribute to accuracy?   Like, when you shoot a .22 jsb at 500 fps, you won't have groupings like you will at 880 fps...

Also, could some barrels be a little more 'snug' around the bb than others?
I would think a tighter barrel would be more accurate than a barrel that just let the bb's just bounce their way down to the muzzle.

???

woody67

Oh, and co2 does make a difference, especially if you are shooting fast.

The main reason I took apart my BNM 2400kt build was that shooting follow up shots so quickly on a multi shot breech with co2 caused accuracy to suffer. Now that I only shoot co2 out of a single shot breech, accuracy is dead on due to the time it takes to load between shots, and thus settle the temp of the co2.

but F shooting with Co2 on days where it's 90 degrees plus.  And also the next day when it's only 80, and you have to re-zero your scope.
Then again the next day when it's 72 degrees you have to do it again....

BDS

Interesting post Mike.

The original shotgun, lead B-B size was .180" diameter. The current crop of steel BBs are .175" to .1755" most of the time. RWS and Avanti Match grade BBs seem to be the best polished and plated that I have found, and both are right at .1751" diameter. The Crosman copper plated BBs still use the "snip and roll form" (made from a wire spool) method that leaves a very tiny imperfection in the BB. They are waaay better than they were 30 years ago when you could actually see and feel the "dent" in them but... Daisy, Avanti and RWS are the best IMO.

Barrel quality and size is a huge influence also. A (somewhat) snug fit does make a big difference. This is why the Daisy/Avanti 499 single shot match BB rifle is so accurate. It loads from the muzzle, one shot at a time, and it takes almost 3 seconds for the BB to roll down and chamber in the barrel. multi-shot guns just can't be this close in BB to barrel tolerance and keep from jamming, it's a design trade-off. Same for the guns that use a magnet to retrieve and hold the BB.

For guns without the magnet type feed feature, lead round balls can be a good alternative for better fit and some improved accuracy. Otherwise, most of the BB replica pistols are can plinkers at 20 or 30 feet, paper punching is too frustrating IMO.

My only BB shooter is a Red Ryder with a trigger job and barrel crown. I can keep it in a 1.75" circle at about 20 feet, that's about as good as it will ever be.

Brian

mudduck48

You want accuracy in a BB gun? Buy a Umerix Makarov. These guns are out of the box accurate. This gun is with out a doubt the most accurate BB gun out there for $60. I was shooting mine tonight  and it is fun. I'll go take pics and be right back. OK, here is the target at 5m, one hand standing.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

woody67

I wonder if dimpled bbs would be more accurate than smooth bbs.
And, no...not the volcano creating ideas...i was thinking about golf balls and why they have dimples...and based on the physics and engineering behind golf balls, i would almost bet that dimpled bbs would be more accurate.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0215.shtml

Noah

Quote from: woody67 on November 06, 2013, 04:30:25 AM
And, no...not the volcano creating ideas...i was thinking about golf balls and why they have dimples...and based on the physics and engineering behind golf balls, i would almost bet that dimpled bbs would be more accurate.

AHH! Great call!!!
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

KevinP

dammm man, good link ............
Kevin
Albany, New York

Crosshairs

That's what I was thinking Woody like golf a ball less drag less friction.
Mike.

Cross Pistol Packer

The Makarov pistol I had some years back had a rifled barrel,why with a BB pistol I dont know,tried lead ball through it to,this pistol could out class any of my other BB guns no problem.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

Crosshairs

It must have like some said a tighter barrel ID or maybe the BB is propelled from the gun you know the way the barrel to the valve is set not sure but it does keep me scratching my head.

K.O.

Hey Woody I really need to grow up I can't help wanting to call you Dimples now...

I also have an uncle Woody down in Texas (short for Homer Woodrow II )
1322XLT(2100/13XX hybyid)750 fps @ 16 pumps w/CPHP 14.3g

MK1322(2240/13XX/MK177 hybrid) 805 fps at @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP

about 5 more 13xxs
Two Daisy 953(# 31x Jan. 1985) & (Sept 2004)
2100b (with old style piston)
.25 Mrod (50fpe tune)
.177 BSA Buccaneer (on the way)

K.O.

For me part of the bb guns charm was that you could shoot tons and tons of bbs and that meant every once in a while you could pull off that MIRACLE SHOT

Sometimes in front of your buudies an you got the bragging rights for a while...

My favorite was when my youngest son was about 14 and it was in front of him...

I had about a 6" plastic crow set up on the far side of my pond ( about 85' from my spot on the back porch)

Daisy Buck with a mile of holdover  and knocked it off the log First shot...

He is 24 now and still tries once in a while to beat that shot.
1322XLT(2100/13XX hybyid)750 fps @ 16 pumps w/CPHP 14.3g

MK1322(2240/13XX/MK177 hybrid) 805 fps at @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP

about 5 more 13xxs
Two Daisy 953(# 31x Jan. 1985) & (Sept 2004)
2100b (with old style piston)
.25 Mrod (50fpe tune)
.177 BSA Buccaneer (on the way)

Crosshairs

Quote from: K.O. on November 07, 2013, 07:33:39 PM
For me part of the bb guns charm was that you could shoot tons and tons of bbs and that meant every once in a while you could pull off that MIRACLE SHOT

Sometimes in front of your buudies an you got the bragging rights for a while...

My favorite was when my youngest son was about 14 and it was in front of him...

I had about a 6" plastic crow set up on the far side of my pond ( about 85' from my spot on the back porch)

Daisy Buck with a mile of holdover  and knocked it off the log First shot...

He is 24 now and still tries once in a while to beat that shot.
Like the time i shot a fly on the wall in my friends basement with my 760 i was about 10 feet away and got it with the first shot proof was when my buddy removed the pellet from the sheet rock and the wings were still there lol.

KevinP

Well, did some thinking on this ....

My Phantom ( c11 ) at muzzle is 4.8 mm the crosman copperheads are 4.33 mm *
* I can drop them in from the muzzle end ....  hmmm
what if I take  the end down with a pipe cutter ( i have one that I took the sharpness off the wheel for another purpose  )
down to 4.34 ? the barrel is thin so I think I can do it ....

Just a thought ...  ???
Kevin
Albany, New York