• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Bugbuster scope.

Started by targettgii, November 20, 2013, 05:30:17 AM

targettgii

Here is the problem I have a Bug buster 3x9x32 that I purchased over a year a go and I couldn't get it to zero.I took it off after trying and trying put it in the box said a few choice words and it sat there for a while.Before the warranty was up I sent it back and Leapers says there was nothing wrong with it get it back put my last build together and put that scope on it.Bore sighted fine took it out today and it shoots the same dam way it did last time low and to the side but left this time instead of right like last time.Two different groups about an inch apart.Any ideas???
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

breakfastchef

Morning Tom. When I first started buying scopes, I pretty much mounted them level, turned the turrets to zero and went off to shoot. More recently, I have been reading in depth about scope mounting, adjustable mounts, mechanical zeroing, shimming, optimal zero ranges, etc. A long, involved article that helps to explain many of these principles was produced by the British Field Target Association. When you get time, read through the BFTA Scope Setup Manual - http://www.fekete-moro.hu/bfta-setup-manual/index-en.php. It is on the complex side, but the basic concepts are helpful.

When you get a scope zeroed and there is very little adjustment left, it is not sitting optimal to the position of the bore line. Mounts, dovetail rails and breeches can cause the scope not to center to the gun properly. In you case, I would recommend...

Mechanically center the scope and shoot a pellet. Note where it lands (i.e. 5" high, 2" left). Turn the scope rings 180 degrees and retest.  This might help to determine if the rings are putting the scope into a different, perhaps a more optimal, position. If you have ChairGun Pro on your PC, you can use the scope shim calculator to help correct an extreme elevation alignment. Another option is to purchase adjustable scope rings which allow you to mount a scope in perfect harmony with the boreline. Sun Optics makes an inexpensive model.

I mounted a scope my Mac1 LD yesterday and with a mechanically centered scope, the rig was shooting 5" high, with the windage very close to where it should be. If I tried to dial in my near zero point with my elevation turret, I just ran the adjusting knob to the point it would no longer turn. I consulted the shim calculator and shimmed the front of the scope and the first pellet I shot was nearly on the bull on the vertical axis. Simple fix, but not optimal.

Larry

BDS

Good advice from Mr. Chef and... see the BKL scope mount thread that's been active the past few days  :-*
Brian

targettgii

You know guys I've been thinking about it all day and the mount is the item besides the scope that is the same and I did turn it around to mount it off the back of the breech.So it would make sense that the issue would move to the other side.Looks like I have to get a bkl cantilever mount or offset rings.Thank you for the help guys.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Crosshairs

Your choice of scope mount means a lot.
                            Mike
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZCXnp01G0k#ws]BKL scope mounts - AGR Episode #60[/url]
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Fronzdan

I have a pair of the sun optics adjustable rings that Chef mentioned.  They work great.  I had maxed out a Bugbuster on elevation and it was still 3 inches too low.  These rings saved the day.