• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

New Home Made Indoor 10M Pellet Trap

Started by Rualert, December 29, 2013, 06:49:00 AM

Rualert

OK, so maybe I should have thrown this in the what work did you just do, but, since I have limited time these days, it will be easier to find. Anyway, I built this 24" X 36" pellet trap so my daughter and I can practice our 10M shooting indoors, as it should be. She is working on her shooting portfolio as she wants to shoot in the spring 4-H match. I have been having a good time checking it out, and finally  getting to also tune my latest 1740 parts / target pistol. 10" 177 barrel, steel breech, stock sights, as I wanted to keep iron sights on this one, bone stock valve, cut down a 45 case for a sleeve to go in the valve to reduce it's internal volume. Started with what I thought was a stock hammer spring, was actually a bit stronger, so dug around and found a stock hammer spring, after I cut two coils off of it. Will get a real shot count in the next few days, but it's slinging 8 grain H&N Sports at an average of 453 fps, well within range for a paper puncher, and it seems to stay pretty tight on the spread right now, about 6 fps SD. Anyway, back to the trap, here's a close up, and a 10M view. It's constructed from a 2 X 4 frame, on top of a piece of steel sheet, and a piece of 5/8" treated. Made the brackets to hang it over the hallway closet door. I have exactly 10M plus enough room to stand in front of the fire place.

Close up:

10M view:

Doogles

That's awesome! 8) My youngest daughter is coming home tomorrow for a few days and that's exactly what we were planning on doing in our basement hallway lol. Thanks for sharing the plan, and the trap build idea :-* :-*
"No, no, don't do that, don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad."

- Blazing Saddles

Doug

brz-ryder †

Thanks Rualert you gave me an idea on how to make something like that  :-* :-*

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

bgmcgee

That's pretty cool :-*  There ain't no way that wpuld fly here for me though :(
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Rualert

Thanks guys, for those that want more specifics I started with the piece of 5/8" X 24" X 36" plywood, then cut a couple of 2 X 4's to make the outside frame. The frame is screwed together with drywall screws they were 2 1/2" long. Then lay the sheet metal on the plywood and trace to outside, or just measure it and I cut it with a pair of electric metal shears. Place the sheet metal on the plywood, lay the 2 X 4 frame on the sheet metal and plywood, then flip the whole assembly over so you can run screws through the back of the plywood, through the metal, into the 2 X 4 frame. I used 1 5/8" drywall screws, the points are sharp enough to puncture the sheet metal and grab the 2 X 4 frame. I used about 28 screws, maybe over kill, but it is solid. The brackets to hang it with are mode from 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide steel strip you can pick up at any home improvement store, I cut mine long enough to make the top hooks, and leave enough to drill a couple of holes to mount them to the back. This let me set the height so that the center is right at the official ISSF height for 10M air. A nice piece of cardboard is simply push pinned, or thumb tacked to the front, then your targets. This is a lot like the one I built for the 5M comps in my shed, but the one in the shed has two layers of the steel bent in a curve, and a sheet of left over drywall in from of that to keep it quiet. That one could handle the Talon SS before the mods, now I'm not quite so sure as that rifle is now shooting 60+ FPE. As for the indoor trap it was designed to be fairly light so we can move it, and is more than enough to stop the target rifles, and the 22xx series pistols we use to shoot the monthly comps. So now that we have an indoor range you should see a bit more of me in those monthly comps.

Hope that will be helpful for anyone else that wants to build one, simple, and only took about an hour and a half to complete. Bending the hanging brackets took almost as much time as putting the rest of it together. One could most likely pick up a couple of Christmas reef hangers, and just straighten them below the over the door part for their brackets.

Casey