• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

My latest build another 1740

Started by Rualert, December 29, 2013, 08:42:58 PM

Rualert

OK, so I decided to build a 1740 for 10M pistol competition shooting to be used here on the board comps, and if it's consistent in the NRA postal matches, and at the 4-H club until we get some additional target pistols for the kids. Well here's the details so far: 2240 tube, bone stock valve, no porting, polishing, thread cutting, nothing. Added a .41" long brass tube cut from a 45 ACP case as a valve reducer. Stock transfer port with a small o-ring on top, ala Brutz mod, to ensure a tight seal. 10.1" .177 barrel, breech polished for smooth loading of wad cutters, and just for grins, a fresh clean crown. Hammer was polished, as was the inside of the tube, cut 3 coils off the stock hammer spring, kept the stock rear tube cap. Crosman steel breech, stainless extended probe and black bolt handle, had to sand and cut the rear sight to fit down low enough on the steel breech to get close to the point of aim, then added fiber optic pieces to the two holes in the rear sight blade, keeping the notch, and had to add another piece of fiber optic tube to the top of the front sight to get it shooting to the point of aim at 10M. Very light trigger spring with a used 22 shell casing as a spring guide, still need to make the trigger shoe, but the trigger is maybe 1 1/2 pounds right now. Of course added washers to the sides of the trigger and sear after a good polish to remove the side play, so it's smooth, no wobble, and crisp. Used some stainless hardware I had from a batch of spares I picked up somewhere, we all know how we end up with a box or two of parts from somewhere.  ???  Kept the front barrel band, and haven't cleaned up the casting lines on the frame yet, but did drill and tap for a trigger stop. Next I need to get a shot count from a single cart, as I have just been testing so far, and when I started I had not yet cut the hammer spring, I noticed it was clearly spitting CO2 out of the barrel on every shot, so that's when I cut the spring, cloud seems to be gone now, just need to finish the tuning. OK, here's the required picture, still kinda plain, maybe some nice grips, and the trigger shoe for the only extra bling.  Chrony numbers and strings to come soon.

Casey

breakfastchef

Super job of cobbling together a 10M target shooter. Best of all, you had a specific goal in mind and built the gun to meet your expectations. Seems you've done all the right things. Have you figured out if the build you did cost less than, say, buying a 2300T? Kind of curious to know if the DIY pistol is a better value.
Larry

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

T191032

Quote from: breakfastchef on December 29, 2013, 09:00:15 PM
Super job of cobbling together a 10M target shooter. Best of all, you had a specific goal in mind and built the gun to meet your expectations. Seems you've done all the right things. Have you figured out if the build you did cost less than, say, buying a 2300T? Kind of curious to know if the DIY pistol is a better value.

Probably depends on how many parts were in the bin from different projects.  LOL  :-*
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Rualert

Well in all I believe it cost me less as I only had maybe $20.00 in this gun. Like I mentioned I just happened to have all the parts, and was able to make the couple of specialty pieces myself. If my memory serves me correctly I bought a fairly large box of parts from someone cleaning out their work bench, and combined with many stock parts I had, ended up with enough parts for three guns. I bought the parts lot for the $20.00 mentioned, built my 1750 PCP rifle, a 2250 pistol, and this latest 1740, so in this case less than a new gun, then modding it. Now I'm out of frames, and so far I have yet to have or use a new style frame on any of my builds.

Casey

quickster47 †

Casey that is a good looking build with just the right components for a great .177 shooter.  :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Rualert

Thanks guys, now I just need to finish the testing and tuning.

Casey