• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

need recommendations on rotary tool for working on my airgun

Started by DBOdude, December 31, 2013, 10:21:44 PM

DBOdude

looking at a few brands , dremel , black & decker , craftsman ..... i don't wanna drop over 40 bucks on it , but i want something fairly decent that will hold up . what's your thoughts or recommendations on what i should consider ? also , are the "free" bits , wheels , drums etc. usually decent or usable ? or should i just buy what i need separately ?

i want to be able to cut slots in 1/16 inch wall aluminum tubing so it needs to be strong enough for that ... :)

thanks .
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

breakfastchef

Most brand name rotary tools are probably fine to use. I like variable speed models, but that may not be possible at your price point. I would recommend a brand that is supported with additional attachments so the tool can help you perform other tasks (i.e. flexible shaft, routing, grout removal, drill press, etc.). Bits are expensive so buy what you need, though having a kit with some starter bits is always a bonus.
Larry

Tater

Don't make the mistake I did and buy a Harbor Freight, get a Dremel.
There may be some that have had good luck with the HF ones, but not me.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

SteHughes90

Spend wise and spend once... The dremel brand are superb. I have two :)

donn

There are several ways to go for rotary tools.  Here's a list of the ones I have, so far:

A 50" flex shaft with a 3/8" chuck on the business end.  It can be chucked into a variety of power tools, like a bench grinder with a chuck, a die grinder, a drill press or an electric drill in a vise.

A standard Dremel, corded.

A hanging Dremel with flex shaft...about 30 years old...still running original brushes.

A 5-speed B&D, corded, and about 10 years old.

A Foredom.  The Rolls Royce of rotary tools.

I use them all, regularly.  Each serves a fairly specialized purpose.  The Foredom excels at high speed anything work, while the big flex shaft with chuck is for HD hogging a bit more precisely than the die grinder.

I also have a couple of air-powered rotary tools.  If you have air, they are another option.

WyoMan

I have a cordless...its a little under powered but I use it 95% of the time because its convenient  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

brz-ryder †

Quote from: Tater on December 31, 2013, 11:25:43 PM
Don't make the mistake I did and buy a Harbor Freight, get a Dremel.
There may be some that have had good luck with the HF ones, but not me.
there is one HF to buy http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link i have one of these and works great got a new hand piece for Xmas that will take 1/4 bits the foot control is a big plus

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

Tater

Quote from: brz-ryder on January 01, 2014, 12:18:29 AM
there is one HF to buy http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link i have one of these and works great got a new hand piece for Xmas that will take 1/4 bits the foot control is a big plus

Jim

That is WAY nicer then the one I got. Mine was a cheap hand-held corded, no power at all.
That one in your link looks nice.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

rangerfredbob

Harbor freight's cheapie small one is not worth it most of the time (they used to be a little better made and only $6... it's just a little DC motor ran off of a wall wart), the 120V corded ones ought to be better... Craftsman brand is made by Dremel with a different sticker...

Can't really go wrong with Dremel/Craftsman, and if you can afford it get variable speed, I rarely have mine set above half way...

The bits are all the same, most big name brand components are fairly universal, and the bits that come with the kits are just fine
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...