• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Crosman 357 Question

Started by BillK, February 05, 2014, 04:07:44 AM

BillK

Thanks to Rich I have been practicing with the 357.  Want to enter but not embarrass myself.
When I shoot in single action (hammer cocked) the gun doesn't always index correctly.  It's the same each time with any/all the clips.  The pellet is hitting the right side of the barrel and jamming.  It may happen once or twice a clip.
If shoot in double action it never jams.
Any thoughts? 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

rws_53

Quote from: BillK on February 05, 2014, 04:07:44 AM
Thanks to Rich I have been practicing with the 357.  Want to enter but not embarrass myself.
When I shoot in single action (hammer cocked) the gun doesn't always index correctly.  It's the same each time with any/all the clips.  The pellet is hitting the right side of the barrel and jamming.  It may happen once or twice a clip.
If shoot in double action it never jams.
Any thoughts?

is the pellet hitting when the magazine is rotating?  Try seating the pellets slightly below the face of the magazine. 

BillK

The pellet hits the right side of the barrel when it is shot.  Hits the barrel and wont go out.  Pellets are CPHP although RWS super H &  super domes do the same thing.  It seems that when I cock the gun sometimes the cylinder rotates a hair too far to the right.  the magazine/clip rotates fine and the pellets don't hit anything.  Well seated in the clip.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

T191032

Is it one of the clips in particular?   Remove that one from your firing rotation and see if the problem persists.

As for "embarrassing" yourself, go take a look at my One-hand only entry with mine.  The grips just don't fit my hand, and it shows.   ;)
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

BillK

It happens w/all 8 of the clips. 
Probably doesn't make much difference whether I shoot single or double action because after ten shots it looks like a shotgun was used. 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

woody67

I have to say my 357 did the same thing when i used CPHPs in it.

It was worse with wadcutters. Now i only used JSBs and i only have the issue when the co2 gets low.

You might try moving the barrel forward or backwards a bit (like half a centimeter).
If you close the gun with the pellet clip in, you will notice you can wiggle the clip a bit...if its too loose or too tight it can cause the jamming issue. Try moving the barrel just a bit..if that doesnt work, try using regular dome pellets and see if that makes a difference...

AS13

Sounds like the timing might be off a hair. This might be due to a dirty or damaged pawl. The pawl is the finger that engages the teeth on the magazine that rotates it into position to fire (aligned with barrel). Try this...Insert a magazine (no pellets) in the gun. Cock the gun (single action) and fire. Now without moving the magazine, carefully unlock the barrel and see if the hole in the magazine is lined up with the barrel. If not, the timing is off. While you have the empty mag in the gun, rotate it by hand to the right and check to see if it's binding. It should move easily with a audible click when locked into place. If it's binding it might be as mentioned, the barrel is set back to far or the small spring loaded cup (at the front of the valve) that pushes against the rear of the mag to seal the air might be binding. Is it a new or used pistol? Might need new pawl? No big deal. Remove the barrel/shroud and side plate and check it out.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

rws_53

Quote from: BillK on February 05, 2014, 05:59:14 AM
The pellet hits the right side of the barrel when it is shot.  Hits the barrel and wont go out.  Pellets are CPHP although RWS super H &  super domes do the same thing.  It seems that when I cock the gun sometimes the cylinder rotates a hair too far to the right.  the magazine/clip rotates fine and the pellets don't hit anything.  Well seated in the clip.

OK now I understand what you're having trouble with.  Is your 357 a newer model or the older phase I/II? ie brown wood grain or black fingergrip grips?  And has it always had this problem or did it just start?

BillK

New model Vigilante.  Have had it appx 9 mos.  Problem just started.  Have fired it single action a lot in the past w/no problem.  Have never taken it apart.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

rws_53

Quote from: BillK on February 05, 2014, 07:41:43 PM
New model Vigilante.  Have had it appx 9 mos.  Problem just started.  Have fired it single action a lot in the past w/no problem.  Have never taken it apart.

A couple of things to check.

In the cocked position the lower part of the index finger (bottom arrow) should be sticking out of the frame as indicated.  This is a positive stop for the magazine preventing it from turning any more to the right (clockwise) and indexing it to the barrel.  The top arrow is the upper part of the index finger that engages the magazine turning it for each shot.  In cocked position it must be protruding from the frame also and has spring tension to hold it against the magazine notches.  As the trigger is pulled for a shot it also positively locks the magazine from turning to the left.  To test to see if the index finger is locking the magazine in position cock gun, pull the trigger to fire gun and without releasing it you should not be able to rotate the magazine in either direction.  Since your gun worked properly before the index finger is highly suspect.

The lower index finger engages these notches on the magazine.

The linkage in the frame controlling the index finger is pretty robust and is highly unlikely to be the problem.  A quick look inside to check only requires removal of grips and three screws.  Arrow shows the lower index finger protruding from frame in cocked position.

If everything on your gun looks like the above check the barrel position in the shroud...it must be centered.

If you don't get it figured out you still have several months of warranty from Crosman or you could see about returning to the place of purchase for a replacement.

BillK

Thank you very much for the comprehensive tutorial on how it works.  I'll check it out tomorrow and see if anything looks out of place.   :-*
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

BillK

Well I checked out the areas that Ross highlighted as possible trouble points.  I didn't see anything that looked out of place to my untrained eye.  I lubed most all parts I could, without disassembling anything, with Super Lube and a few drops here & there of Mac1 Secret Sauce.  The clips all looked good and I rubbed them on 400 grit, on a flat surface, to be sure there were no burrs or high spots.  I didn't do much and I don't why but it works great. ???  All 8 clips fired in single action without a hangup.
I thank you all very much. :-*
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

bgmcgee

Always feels good when you do simple stuff and it works out.  Glad to hear it's all sorted out.  :-*
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"