• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How much does barrel length affect accuracy on 1377 ?and other mods?

Started by Ex3, March 08, 2014, 09:00:37 PM

Ex3

Hello ,
I shoot from stock barrel , I am thinking of getting longer barrel (any longer than 10" like  16", 18", 24") but I want it only for greater accuracy purposes on longer range, I hunt blackbirds out to 30 yards with no problem with JSB 7.33 grain pellets,i aim chest and every time pellet goes through it , any further it gets harder aim, I think longer barrel will make difference , how did it affect acuracy in your experience? I never shoot paper and check group, currently I am out of pellets and I am waiting for them to get shipped, then I will check groupings ))

do you think result on second post of this thread can be true?  here is thread:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=45838.10;wap2

sub 1" group at 55 yards with 1377?
And how do you think , which mods and factors affect accuracy more?

breakfastchef

Longer barrel generally increases pellet velocity, but does not make the gun more accurate. Start practicing on the bench at paper to determine the potential accuracy of your gun at various distances. After that, it is all you.

Regarding post number two of the link you provided...dude knows his stuff!
Larry

Ex3

Thanks for reply , so barrel length does not increase accuracy, then I will not touch it, as im ok with velocity it has.
How do you think what other mods and factors affect accuracy much?

GamoGat

Other factors that affect accuracy.

As long as your stock fitted barrel is in good order, clean bore, well fitted to the breech with well machined crown and breech.

Check for airleaks,  variables in power output will effect accuracy,  a large spread of FPS over a string of shots will lead to larger target groups the further out you shoot.  If the gun is in good order and producing consistant FPS then thats good.

Ammo, lead, pellets.  As a rough rule,  cheap pellets are just that cheap,  some are better than others.
Mid price pellets have better quality control,  and maybe better handling and packing meaning less damaged ones,  again some are better than others.
High end match pellets,  your paying for high quality control and tight weights,  they should out perform all others.......assuming your barrel likes them.

Airguns are pellet fussy,  it's a case of trying several different pellets and stick with what performs best in your gun.

I started my 10 match shooting with Bisley Practice £5(made by H&N) they are mid price,  quite a few are deformed in the tin and they varied a bit in weight.  My budget grain scales only work in single grains,  not to 1/10ths of a grain
Most of the tin weighed 8grains,  around 200 weighed 9 grains.  The 9 grain pellets will hit lower than the 8grain.

I switched to RWS R10 pistol £7,  bit more money,  tighter weight control and overall better quality, groups tightend up at 10m just by switching ammo.
Picked up a tin of H&N match pistol,  proper high end lead at £12.40  in theory these should out perform the RWS R10

I use cheaper lead for rough shooting/plinking then for hunting or comp use switch to high end ones,  find the pellet that works best for your set up.

breakfastchef

Quote from: Ex3 on March 08, 2014, 10:43:42 PM
Thanks for reply , so barrel length does not increase accuracy, then I will not touch it, as im ok with velocity it has.
How do you think what other mods and factors affect accuracy much?

If you are searching for ultimate accuracy, there are loads of things you could try. The smart guys on the forum will clue you in to specifics if you choose to go down the path.

Some barrels can be further improved with lapping. There are several ways to do it and several reasons why you would even consider lapping. If that fails to produce results you want at the target, you can always re-barrel with a better quality replacement.

Pellet selection and pellet preparation (lubing, sizing, roll testing, etc.) can have a positive on accuracy.

A power plant that produces consistent output can translate into better accuracy. In a PCP, for example, fitting a regulator will provide for excellent shot to shot consistency.

Quality of optics should also go on the list. Cruddy or unreliable won't get you there.

Lastly. you will play a significant part in accuracy.

Larry

Ex3

Thank you for helping , I've got answers I was searching for in your posts )

T191032

" I never shoot paper and check group, "

Resolve to fix that.

Multiple groups at the intended distance will tell you plenty.

So far, I've been impressed with the 24" barrel I put on a 1377 and turned into a rifle ("Mr. Purple") http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,13510.0.html

"do you think result on second post of this thread can be true?  here is thread:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=45838.10;wap2

sub 1" group at 55 yards with 1377?
And how do you think , which mods and factors affect accuracy more? "

Well, Mr. JMJ can chime in, with photos (I Hope) to answer that one.

"I shoot from stock barrel , I am thinking of getting longer barrel (any longer than 10" like  16", 18", 24") but I want it only for greater accuracy purposes on longer range, I hunt blackbirds out to 30 yards with no problem with JSB 7.33 grain pellets,i aim chest and every time pellet goes through it , any further it gets harder aim,"

Getting that velocity boost from the longer barrel should help some terminal, and optics help the accuracy as well.   :-*
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

mr007s

Surprised no one mentioned a smooth predictable trigger figuring into accuracy

ped

Quote from: mr007s on March 09, 2014, 09:54:33 PM
Surprised no one mentioned a smooth predictable trigger figuring into accuracy
imho thats one of the most important factors on accuraccy
no point having a match grade barrel if the triggers naff
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Adam77K

Quote from: ped on March 09, 2014, 11:36:54 PM
imho thats one of the most important factors on accuraccy
no point having a match grade barrel if the triggers naff
ped

Agreed. Much more so for pistols than rifles IMHO.

In fact in some cases it is even more important than barrel.

For example the average person could shoot better with a gun with a mediocre barrel but excellent trigger, than a gun with the world's best barrel but a rubbish trigger.

Squallywally

The best thing you can do after all of this is.........practice :-*

Ex3

Thanks, trigger is stock as well,
First thing I will do is to change this trigger, It's really not good.

Tater

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 08, 2014, 10:12:41 PM
Longer barrel generally increases pellet velocity, but does not make the gun more accurate. Start practicing on the bench at paper to determine the potential accuracy of your gun at various distances. After that, it is all you.

Regarding post number two of the link you provided...dude knows his stuff!

Ditto for the third post.   :D

For the trigger, there are many threads in this forum about making it  smoother for almost no money.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

sshewins

Yes, the trigger is super important.  You can do the old polish the trigger and sear. Or, for a little investment, you could upgrade to a P1701 trigger group. From what I've read, no one has complained on the night and day improvement. If looking into a scope, stay away from the intermounts. Go with an upgraded breech.
Scott

Finally... Got me a crosman bug out 2289