• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Pellet Exchange

Started by Crosshairs, May 07, 2014, 02:11:24 AM

arkmaker †

It was a good mail day for me. Pellets from Barry and Jim found thier way into my hands today!! Hopefully, I will have time and the weather to do some testing. Will keep you guys posted on any positive results. Thanks again guys and Mike too. This was a good idea.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

JMJinNC

Great trade with Arkmaker - thanks Rich.

JMJ
John

bgmcgee

No problemo Rich just trying to return the favors . :-*
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

arkmaker †

To windy today to test out the new pellets, but I went ahead and made a site in target. If anyone wants the pdf, just PM me and I'll email it to you. Here is the jpg
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Crosshairs

It's good to see this is working out.  :-*
Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

I now have a total of 7 different pellets that I am going to compare. I figured that I would do two 5-shot groups of each one and see where I stand. I'll start with the 1740 first. Too bad the wind was blowing all day because it was around 80-85 degrees all day long. Would have been the perfect temp for me and co2

arkmaker †

1740 Custom with a Stock, benchrested. This pistol has a 10.1" LW barrel which I am sure helped to keep all of these groups fairly tight.

Look at the number in the upper right hand corner of each box. That is the order in which I shot. I noted each cart change. I changed out the 1st cart sooner than I should have, but I could not remember how many shots I had on it, so it went after the 1st 10. The bull is right at .250 (1/4"), middle ring is about .375 (3/8") and the outer ring is a little over .500 (1/2").

I shot on the coverd porch @ 5M benched. It rained on and off and was 78 degrees. I need to repeat this test at 10M next time, but since I shoot this pistol 99% of the time at 5M, I thought it appropriate.

The clear winner in my book was the Vogel Wadcutters. What I noticed more than any other pellet, was the tight fit upon pushing the head into the rifling. The Avanti and RWS Diablo wads do this as well, but to a much lesser extent. I will be buying a tin or 3 of the Vogel pellets. The Avanti's do not do well in this pistol, but I knew that already. They do however shoot well in the M-rod...go figure?

I actuall liked the RWS Meister's too. I think another round of testing is in order for them. I may have been a bit rushed during thier turn at the plate. I have enough left to do it, so I will.

My old faithful RWS Diablo's are still one of my favorites and grouped as always. Cheap, clean, no flash and hardly ever a deformed pellet. Just not the tightest group, but when you offhand shoot like I do, I don't think the pellet is at fault. Especially at 5M.

The Crosman Premier Lights & Heavies did very well. I am going to order up a box of the Crosman heavies and a tin of the JSB Exact heavies for a marathon test with the M-rod at a longer distance. I really think they will shoot well out of it. The JSB's did well and each groups had a bad shot at my expense. I think I will re-shoot them at 5M again once I have a full tin to play with.

The sleeper of the bunch were the Crosman Competition Wadcutters from WalMart. They loaded nice and just take a looksie at the target. I'm pretty happy about this. I know I had set them in the back of the crap bin a couple of years ago. I had a terrible result in another pistol with them and just figured that they were junk. Not so for the 1740!!

So far the pellet exchange has worked out great for me. Now I have to try out some H&N stuff :-)

airriflenut

Those are some very respectable groups!!  Very nice on the information with the gun, cartridge changes, pellets, etc.  The terminal performance (and pic) are nice, too.

The pellet exchange was an excellent idea and should prove useful to many of us!!
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

Crosshairs

Damn Rich nice shooting bro.
                     Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

tinker

Wow great groups Rich!

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

bgmcgee

Glad the Vogel pellets work for ya. Kind of had a feeling they would.  Just think they are made in your new home state too . :-*  Got to admit that they seem to be one of the most consistent pellet I've shot.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

targettgii

That is some damn fine shooting Rich and you were worried about hitting them. :-* :-* :-*
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

arkmaker †

Remember, that it was only 5M and I had the 1399 stock on the pistol and sitting nice and comfy at the bench! You have all seen my offhand shooting and I just can't seem to break into the upper teens on our regular comp  ???  Someday, I will pull one out of my butt and get a lucky 12 shots in a row.

Here is what the 1740 looks like right now. The Hawke 4x32 gives a fuzzy bull at 5M, but is very clear at 10M I am going to re-shoot a few of those pellets......JSB's, CP Heavies and the Meisters at the 10M mark. After that I am going to take the stock back off and go back to pistol form.