• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Crosman Wood Grips

Started by Clean Shot, August 03, 2014, 08:47:02 PM

Clean Shot

Hi all

Just got my Crosman 600 a thing I've wanted since I first shot one.
Have found is cycles beautifully with Daystate LI's

But im after some really nice wooden grips it seems the chap that made them Stateside has since stopped, and his work was amazing.

Does any one know of anyone else producing them..?

atb
Paul

breakfastchef

Have found no one else that makes grips for vintage Crosman pistols. Most of us are now faced with making our own. This was my first attempt at making a pair of right handed grips modeled after the stock Crosman grips out of padauk timber. Although I am left handed, I wanted a set of grips so I could have my friends and family also shoot the pistol.

You might try sending an email to Ralph at RB Grips. Perhaps he has an odd set laying about. Alternately, you could post some 'want to buy' ads on airgun classifieds.

Larry

Clean Shot

Hi There

Great Job on those grips and a cracking finish too.
Unfortunately im not much of a woodworker.

Was thinking I would like a nice Blued finish on mine. Think it would look really nice, There are some very good people UK side who can get a great finish.

p

breakfastchef

Quote from: Clean Shot on August 04, 2014, 10:56:59 PM
Great Job on those grips and a cracking finish too.
Unfortunately im not much of a woodworker.

Was thinking I would like a nice Blued finish on mine.

I don't think the cast metal used on these guns will take a blued finish. Crosman painted these pistols, so you would want to find a durable gun-type paint (bake on or air cure) as part of your restoration plan.
Larry

Clean Shot

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 04, 2014, 11:54:51 PM

I don't think the cast metal used on these guns will take a blued finish. Crosman painted these pistols, so you would want to find a durable gun-type paint (bake on or air cure) as part of your restoration plan.

Unfortunate but thought it may not.
Ive seen a nickel plated one but that was a little too bling for me...

What kind of paint did you use

P

breakfastchef

I went with a powder coating as the finish on the CR600.

On a Crosman Mark II restoration, I used Dura-Coat paint by Lauer Custom Weaponry. It came in a kit with a little aerosol sprayer with enough paint to do at least three pistols. It was an air-cured finish. Came out very nice, but the prep work was time consuming.

Larry

Clean Shot

and you did the silver lettering by hand ?? That must of took an age.

Gurss you just removed the existing paint with a tin of paint stripper a toothbrush and a lot of elbow grease..

breakfastchef

Quote from: Clean Shot on August 05, 2014, 07:39:10 PM
and you did the silver lettering by hand ?? That must of took an age.

Gurss you just removed the existing paint with a tin of paint stripper a toothbrush and a lot of elbow grease..

Filling lettering is easy with acrylic paint. Let it dry a bit and wipe off with a lightly dampened cloth.

Stripping a frame can be done with chemical strippers, Dremel bits, brass brushes, picks and such. A much better way is to find someone who can sandblast the frame for you. That is now my preferred method. If any casting marks or defects are present, you can work them out or fill them.
Larry

RetatCDude

Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

Iagent

I'm not finished making grips by any means, but as of right now, I have to recover from an injury that makes it really hard to make grips lol. Making 600 grips is one of my favorite things as I really like that pistol. 

Shoot safely. Have fun.

BillK

Wow, looks like it would be hard to even grip a grip much less make one.  Hope your healing and recovery goes well and fast.  Good luck.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Tater

Wow! What happened Iagent? Bike accident?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

targettgii

Damn Rick that is terrible I hope your healing alright don't push it. If you don't mind me asking what happened?
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Jauvesst

you could try sending a email to rw_keeton@yahoo.com and ask if he can make some. he recently did some real nice walnut grips for a mk1
you can check out his work at https://www.youtube.com/user/CyberDruidtheModGod

but i can assure you that you wont like the cost, just saying 8)

my set of 2240 grips from that guy will follow me to the grave