• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

First impressions. 2289 Backpacker

Started by Blackdog, August 19, 2014, 06:31:39 AM

Old Dog

This Old Dog has outlived most of my enemies!!!
Many of my friends also, sorry to say!!!

Blackdog

I finally got a chance to do some serious shooting. What pellets do you guys perfer for targets?  I've been using Premier Ultra Magnum (14.3 grams) with good results but maybe there's something better.  What distance are you shooting at for target work?  I've been shooting at 10 yards.  I'll post some pictures of my groups tomorrow so you can tell me how I'm doing. 
Crosman 2289 Doomsday Backpacker

Blackdog

I found that shooting with 5 pumps would produce an occasional flyer.  I than started shooting with 10 pumps and the groups tightened considerably.  Here's my target shot at 30 feet.  The center group was 7/8" (I forgot to mark it).  All shooting was done with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum ammo.  Does this seem like reasonable accuracy to you? 

I can see now that the full 10 pumps is the way to go.

BDS

Quote from: Blackdog on September 05, 2014, 05:52:52 PM
I found that shooting with 5 pumps would produce an occasional flyer.  I than started shooting with 10 pumps and the groups tightened considerably.  Here's my target shot at 30 feet.  The center group was 7/8" (I forgot to mark it).  All shooting was done with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum ammo.  Does this seem like reasonable accuracy to you? 

I can see now that the full 10 pumps is the way to go.

It's a good start but... at 10 meters (33 feet) I would expect 1/2" groups max, preferably 3/8" or approx 1-1/2 pellet diameter for 5 shots. I can do this fairly consistently on a bench at 10 meters with my 2289 with stock "peep" sight, CP round nose (out of the can, no high-end brown box stuff) and the only mods to the gun are the FO front sight, trigger mods and a polished crown on the barrel. This is all at 4 pumps. Are you starting on a bench with as static as possible set-up? Otherwise, the shooter/human element can't be discounted or dismissed and you won't know the gun's true potential.
Brian

mudduck48

Static who do what? That's why. Here is my bench rest. 4x6 block with a shot bag full of rags. 2x4 with wash rags. 2 plastic horses with plywood on top.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: Flex on August 21, 2014, 04:40:44 PM
Well, I guess that explains THAT! Apparently I'm not ready to "run with the big dogs" ;) Maybe someday tho :-*.
Flex
I know what your saying but you want stay that way long ! :D I got well over 400.00 in this one! I know its not a backpacker but you can send as much as you want to on these thing and more that you thought you would LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Blackdog

Quote from: BDS on September 05, 2014, 11:30:32 PM
It's a good start but... at 10 meters (33 feet) I would expect 1/2" groups max, preferably 3/8" or approx 1-1/2 pellet diameter for 5 shots. I can do this fairly consistently on a bench at 10 meters with my 2289 with stock "peep" sight, CP round nose (out of the can, no high-end brown box stuff) and the only mods to the gun are the FO front sight, trigger mods and a polished crown on the barrel. This is all at 4 pumps. Are you starting on a bench with as static as possible set-up? Otherwise, the shooter/human element can't be discounted or dismissed and you won't know the gun's true potential.

Good info.  I'm shooting fron a rest (pillow on top of a bar stool).  I'm thinking my breech screws might be a little loose.  I don't have the correct allen wrenches with me now but I'll tighten them up Monday and give it another go.  I wasn't sure what these things were capable of accuracy wise.  I'll keep working on it.  Also, the number of pumps have no affect on accuracy?  How many pumps are you using just for target shooting?  I'd much rather do 4 than 10.

BDS

4 pumps at 10 meters for paper punching is just right. I use 8 to shoot steel silhouettes at 20 meters and the backpacker is still accurate. Crosman did something right with these guns, not sure what they did but, almost every owner raves about accuracy :-*
Brian

Blackdog

Quote from: BDS on September 07, 2014, 03:53:11 AM
4 pumps at 10 meters for paper punching is just right. I use 8 to shoot steel silhouettes at 20 meters and the backpacker is still accurate. Crosman did something right with these guns, not sure what they did but, almost every owner raves about accuracy :-*

What kind of groups are you getting ar 20 meters?  Is 10 meters kind of the standard distance for air guns? 

BDS

10 meters is the standard for Olympic airgun paper targets in .177 caliber, it's 33 feet and just easy to remember. 

At 20 meters from a bench rest, I can easily keep the groups in .50" to .60" if I do my part. The "my part" is the stuff you have to work on like trigger control, breathing etc.

Here's an example of a very average shooter's 10 meter pistol target, standing, free-hand. The Olympic guys can put all their shots into the tiny 10 and 9 rings... easily  :D
Brian

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

Blackdog

I Tightened the screws and cleaned the bore.  I sat done at a shooting bench and gave it another try.  I first shot Primier ultra magnums.  I got ok groups with an occasional flyer that ruined the groups and opened them up to close to an inch sometimes more.  I was disappointed.   A few days ago I bought the Benjamin pellet assortment.  I shot the pointed expanding point and the groups tightened considerably, I even got some 1/2" groups.  Still got a very occasional flyer.  I felt I made some headway. 

Questions:  what pellets produce the best accuracy in the 2289?  What causes the fliers?  I know I was dead on when I pulled the trigger but still get theses.  I thought the ultra magnums were the go to pellet but I never got good groups with them.  Thanks for your time.

crossliner

Quote from: Blackdog on September 13, 2014, 04:16:17 AM
I Tightened the screws and cleaned the bore.  I sat done at a shooting bench and gave it another try.  I first shot Primier ultra magnums.  I got ok groups with an occasional flyer that ruined the groups and opened them up to close to an inch sometimes more.  I was disappointed.   A few days ago I bought the Benjamin pellet assortment.  I shot the pointed expanding point and the groups tightened considerably, I even got some 1/2" groups.  Still got a very occasional flyer.  I felt I made some headway. 

Questions:  what pellets produce the best accuracy in the 2289?  What causes the fliers?  I know I was dead on when I pulled the trigger but still get theses.  I thought the ultra magnums were the go to pellet but I never got good groups with them.  Thanks for your time.

Have you tried 14g JSBs?

Blackdog

I did a half ass search and did not see 14g JSB's.  I'm gunning for consistent accuracy at this time.  I shot a few times with the Benjamin variety  pack and they all were better than the Primier ultra magnums.  I can get an occasional 1/2" group at 33ft but not always.  I have an irrigation pond at my place.  I like shooting at a bobbing apple at 30 yards or so using my mil dot.  I'm looking for the best barrel band I can find at this time. 

crossliner

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_Diabolo_Exact_Jumbo_Express_22_Cal_14_3_Grains_Domed_500ct/421

I dunno why but all my Crosmans do not like Crosman pellets..They all like a particular brand of local pellets known as Eagleheads and Hammerheads and JSBs and Air Arms too but H & Ns are no good at least on my guns..Odd because my guns like the JSB/Air Arms heavies particularly the 10.34g

My 1377 in action..Sorry mine are all in .177 caliber..

It is free floated..