• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

1377 breech screw issue

Started by Tater, August 31, 2014, 11:34:12 PM

Tater

A while back I bought two, larger allen size breech screws. I put them on a 1377 steel breech and a 2240 plastic breech. Neither were ever removed since.
Today I was planning on working on the 1377 so I went to remove the breech and could not get an allen key to fit or grab. Went up and got the 2240 to try to confirm the allen size and it grabbed right away and fit perfect. I tried every which way to get at the 13377 screw and not even close. I didn't strip or break loose while tightening either of them, but the 1377 screw looks like crap. Here are pics of each:

2240 plastic

1377 steel

Anyone know how I can loosen it up? Very frustrated here.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Oldnshakey

Your photo for the 1377 screw doesn't show up.  You might try some metric allen wrenches if available.  Is your std. set of good quality.  Sometimes the less expensive sets are not sized exactly right.  Other than that, an easy out set may be required.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PC-RIGID-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-SET-DRILL-EASY-OUT-HAND-TOOL-/201158165242?hash=item2ed5f602fa&item=201158165242&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Edit:  now the photo is showing :-*  Wow! that does look bad.  Can't imagine what happened to that screw.  You might try filing a flat blade screwdriver to fit across the points inside the hole and tapping it first then trying to loosen it.  It may also help to put a clamp or vise over the breech and the air tube and squeezing them together.  Sometimes this will take some of the pressure off the screw and allow it to loosen easier.
Tom..........Two 2400kt's, 2240, Cr MKI, 1377, S&W 686 co2, Beeman P17 .

More pistols than I need but not as many as I want.

BigErn

Tater that steel breech might be shot  :(. Looks like the pellets might have been rubbing on the new larger size screw and that wore down the breech. I hope I'm wrong  :-X

Tater

It is a standard set of allen wrenches but they grab well in the 2240 and the ends of them don't look too bad.
What gets me is the gun was modded and already put together when I switched to the bigger screws. I wasn't messing with holding the gun together or anything, just put the new screw in without a hitch. Haven't touched it since.

Do you know offhand if the smallest screw extractor in the set will fit the breech screw? It doesn't list the sizes.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Tater

Quote from: BigErn on September 01, 2014, 01:28:39 AM
Tater that steel breech might be shot  :(. Looks like the pellets might have been rubbing on the new larger size screw and that wore down the breech. I hope I'm wrong  :-X

The screw is pretty far recessed. I hope the pellets didn't wear down the breech, didn't even know they could do that.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

twigboy

Not a chance.  Lead has a hardness of 1.5 while steel has 4 to 4.5 (hardened steel can be up to 7).   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness.   A fingernail has hardness of about 2.5, which is why you can scratch/gouge lead with a fingernail but not mark steel.

rangerfredbob

Try some small torx bits, they're usually a bit different in size and the teeth will bite in better, and possibly won't strip the screw...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Tater

I ended up getting a set of left handed drill bits from Harbor Freight and they worked.  Took a few tries, but I finally got it out and polished the barrel lead.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs