• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

E-mailed Crosman today about my refurb 1377

Started by russde, September 13, 2014, 12:09:40 AM

russde

Purchased a refurb, black, 1377 and got it in the other day. Initial inspection was ok, took a quick shot in the garage and the pistol seems well built.
Yesterday was the first opportunity I've had to shoot it much...and that's when I noticed that the front sight is canted to the left about 10*. It's not a huge thing, and for the price I understand that perfection is not achievable. I've since read about other folks with similar issues and I'm not really here to complain about that (I've e-mailed Crosman and will see what they say).
My real question here is, why? Why would the front sight be cocked? It is held in/on by the pivot pin, right? So, the only way for it to be crooked is for 1) the plastic sight mold to be wrong or 2) the jig they use to drill the pivot pin hole to be loose or inaccurate.
Am I missing something?
I would leave it alone, but the gun shoots to the right about 3" at 15', vertical is fine and very repeatable even with crappy Daisy pellets. I'm going to mod this little guy eventually but don't plan on putting in another barrel which would be the only solution, right?

DBOdude

Everything isn't for Everybody ......

BillK

Are the rest of the holes in the correct location?  Could the breech be off center? 
Maybe Crosman would send you a new air tube.  Seems like that would correct the problem, whatever it is. ???
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

russde

Excellent looking piece...but if it relies on the pump arm for alignment, and that is drilled off kilter, won't this just be a really nice, and pricey, canted sight?
R

russde

Quote from: BillK on September 13, 2014, 01:44:51 AM
Are the rest of the holes in the correct location? 
Not sure Bill, I 'think' so
Could the breech be off center?
Well, yes, actually it could. That is the other attachment point for the air tube right? So, either it's off at one end or the other?
Maybe Crosman would send you a new air tube.  Seems like that would correct the problem, whatever it is. ???
Maybe so...I'll wait and see what they say. Thanks for the input.
R

BillK

Do you have another sight/pivot to see if the sight pivot pin hole is just drilled goofy?
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

russde

Quote from: BillK on September 13, 2014, 02:02:10 AM
Do you have another sight/pivot to see if the sight pivot pin hole is just drilled goofy?

Unfortunately, no, this is my only 1377. At least for now, I do have an older version on the way though!
Thanks,
R

BDS

Remove the pivot pin, clamp the gun in an exact vertical position, insert a drill bit through the hole and observe angle  :-*

And IMO, pass on re-furb airguns of any type or any brand, there's almost always a (bad) reason for the re-furb, especially with springers.
Brian

russde

Quote from: BDS on September 15, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
Remove the pivot pin, clamp the gun in an exact vertical position, insert a drill bit through the hole and observe angle  :-*

Didn't want to take the pivot pin out since Crosman e-mailed me this morning and suggested sending it back to the retailer...but

I did pad the gun and put in a wooden vise, then put a small diameter drill bit through the pin...it's not the pin that's crooked it's the breech! I took off the rear sight and the flat for the sight mount is at an obvious angle to the right. So, when I tilted the gun to level the rear sight, the front sight appeared 'off'.
Not sure still if it's the breech itself or the barrel that is drilled crooked. Going to contact the retailer and see what they say.
Thanks,
R

russde

...and I found the real problem.
Decided that it would be silly to spend $15 to send it back, and I should just take it apart and figure it out, probably be cheaper to buy new parts, if needed.
Took the rear sight off, then the breech. The Tube plug was cocked to the right. I loosened the bottom screw holding it, re-installed the breech and the rear sight, square, then tightened the bottom screw 'voila!'. Straight sights.
So, double win, the gun is now 'all square' and I know how to disassemble/reassemble a 1377. Yay me!
Thanks for the input all.
R

BDS

Very good... now, hide your wallet from all the mods and goodies you "need" now that you can disassemble that gun ;)
Brian

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt