• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Any Canadians considered buying/bought in the USA to avoid detuned or power restrictions?

Started by Sathiel, October 18, 2014, 10:42:40 PM

Sathiel

I'm from Canada.
And I was just wondering how many fellows like me ever thought about buying an airgun in the U.S. to avoid this 495 fps restriction on any guns or rifles available here.

When there's so many choices around, in Canada, whether it's Umarex, Crosman, Ruger, etc... It's all the same; 495 fps.

Any of you thought about going across the border?

Edit : thinking doesn't mean to do it!
Mark

HappyHunter

Hi Mark. I'm a Canadian also, but I really don't understand your question.... ???

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what is being asked (and if I am I do apologize), but unless you have your PAL (Possession and Acquisition License ) buying a "full power"gun from the USA will only land you in whole heap of legal troubles with Customs (not to mention your gun being seized) once it/you reach the border. However, if you do indeed have your PAL/RPAL there will be no such issue, but honestly, there isn't too many full power airguns made out there that can't be purchased right here "locally" (so-to-speak) other than guns with baffled shrouds/LDC's (which is a BIG no-no up here regardless of velocity), or say, a Mike Melick, Mac-1, etc, tuned gun. 

What gun(s) were you thinking of getting?

Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Stranded in California.

Sathiel

That's what I was referring too.
With (or without) a PAL, if anyone had thought let's say to go get a 1200 fps rifle instead of the same model here, but detuned at 495 fps...

I saw a nice Umarex Surge.
Kinda tempting  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Umarex-2251300-Single-Shot-0-177-Caliber-Finish/dp/B00AU6E7W6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1413691207&sr=1-1&keywords=umarex+airguns

Mark

willydog

I didn't realize there were restrictions on air rifles in Canada. 495 is ridiculous.

Are you allowed air pistols or rifles only?

Sathiel

@Willydog,

Both. We have kind of the same as in the US, but if it's over 495 fps in stock, it will be detuned at 495.
Per instance, I have a 1322, it is marked 460 fps, so it's the same, but a 1377 at 600 fps in the US, here it will be maxed out at 495 fps.

Higher than that, we need a license, the same required to purchase a powder rifle....

So imagine my astonishment when I went to Plattsburgh, NY, and find these boxes of .12 gauge cartridges lying there of the shelves, easy to be picked up by anybody, while here, pellets and BBs are locked behind a glass!
Mark

Cross Pistol Packer

Strange rule that 495 fps,still we have some strange rules here in the UK.
with a .25 pellet 495 fps will still bag you a rabbit for tea :)
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

Sathiel

Strange enough when thinking that you would need the same license to shoot a pellet than your neighbour with a 30-06... Doesn't make too much sense....

Imagine that guy going duck hunting with his pumpmaster 760, hum..... ;D
Mark

willydog

Sathiel: Yes, you might not be able to stand it if you came to Texas. Pretty much all the ammo is on the shelf provided that you're 21 for handgun ammo, 18 for rifle or shotgun. I think most stores enforce 16 for airguns and ammo, but it's on the shelf too.

It's Texas, it's pretty easy to get a concealed handgun license so you can carry a Glock in your pocket while you grocery shop if you want. And as of last year, you can carry your favorite switchblade knife too, as long as the blade is less than 5.5".

An air rifle here? Walk in and charge it on your credit card, go home and enjoy.

But who would come out and check if your 1322 was overpowered?  What's your version of the ATF?

Sathiel

I might actually enjoy it bring Texan ;)

But hey, its crazy how close we can be and live in so different realities.... Though, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that any guy out there might have a gun on him...

I think in Alberta (our Texas like province) the laws are different, but I'm not sure.

None would know if my 1322 had been modded, if it was the case.
Imagine, up to 8 pumps you're legal, between 9 and up, you're not... Hehe... Crazy uh   :D
Its a thin line....

What do you mean by "What's your version of the ATF?" ??

Mark

willydog

ATF is the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in the states.

They put all the good stuff in a separate agency for regulation. If you were caught selling a shotgun with a 10 inch barrel, the ATF would be the folks throwing you in prison.

Sathiel

I see...

Not sure. Guess it would be the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police).

Best thing is to play straight so you never meet these guys!
Mark

Tater

Quote from: Sathiel on October 22, 2014, 10:12:35 PM
I might actually enjoy it bring Texan ;)

But hey, its crazy how close we can be and live in so different realities.... Though, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that any guy out there might have a gun on him...

Laws or not, that's how it is everywhere in the world. Criminals don't follow gun laws.
The laws only restrict law abiding citizens. Maybe that's just how I feel living in the U.S.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs