• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

max barrel length for monthly competition here ?

Started by DBOdude, October 31, 2014, 06:26:52 AM

DBOdude

is there a maximum barrel length for the monthly 5 and 10 meter pistol competition here ? are there any sight systems that are not allowed ? FWIU these are informal honor system competions ....... but what are the rules for formal air pistol competitions ?
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

mudduck48

As far as I know any barrel length any sight. But to shoot pistol comps, the gun has to be just that, a pistol. No stock, put a stock on it it now becomes a carbine. Formal match rules? I did not know we had a formal match. It's all about shooting for fun. Check with Billk he is the guy in charge of the matches. ;) Here is more info.
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,10076.0.html
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BillK

I just Googled pistol rules and the longest I could find was the whole gun being appx. 17" long.
A Prod is 18" L. , 2289 W/14" barrel is 17" L.  Longest Crosman "pistol" would be the BackPaker w/14" barrel.
IMO if you can shoot a "pistol" with a 24" barrel, more power to ya. (pun intended)
If we had to limit the length I would vote for 14".  However, for forum shooting I don't think it matters.  I don't see any advantage to a real long barrel.  More of a disadvantage IMHO.
As of now it's No Limits.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

T191032

"is there a maximum barrel length for the monthly 5 and 10 meter pistol competition here ?"

I do remember it as a running joke between a few of us using a 24" barrel "pistol", but do not believe anyone ever did when I was doing the Comps.

"are there any sight systems that are not allowed ? FWIU these are informal honor system competions"

As mentioned, check the General Rules link.  I don't do Red Dots on pistols well, that's one on me.  Several of the guys here run 'em and shoot great with them.  ;)

"but what are the rules for formal air pistol competitions"

You would find Rules for the "Formal" stuff on the ISSF website.  http://www.issf-sports.org/  Click under "The ISSF" link.  They change things around and mess me up.

For some Field Target and such, 14" barrels are the Max.  There was a reason I went  with the 14" .22 barrel for a Custom Shop 2400, a little research on it showed it a pretty good option for CO2 use.  And as BillK mentioned above, it's really about the longest point where "handiness" comes into play, IMO.  Yeah, even my two 16" barreled carbines, with the stock removed and pistol grips installed would be more muzzle heavy (they are 13xx platforms, afterall with the attending pump mechanism).

:-*

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

DBOdude

thanks folks . i'm gonna take a shot at cutting down my 24 inch .22 barrel and wanted to keep it somewhat near what's typical here and "official" rules elsewhere ..... just because . i think i'll go for 15 inches , that way if i mess up i can still get 3-4 more tries at it and still be close to 14 inches . i don't have a drill press but i'm gonna do it similar to what AIRGUNSNIRVANA did .
i gotta plan !! LOL

BTW T191032 , i'm really enjoying those wood grips . thanks again for working with me :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1lnApDurw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1lnApDurw[/url]
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

T191032

Just for fun & giggles, as it was being discussed, I decided to use "Mr. Purple" for this month's 10 Meter Benchrest Rifle & Pistol Comps.  Why?  That long 24" barrel it wears.  As a rifle, feels just fine in the handling category with the Crosman stock attached.  With the pistol grips in place, it was certainly top-heavy with the scope and long barrel extending upwards as I was pumping it each time (in short, a bit awkward).  At least that was my impressions.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.