• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Custom stock that holds ammo

Started by Blackdog, December 17, 2014, 03:54:22 AM

Blackdog

This is a little something I made for my Backpacker.  I needed a way to carry ammo.  I was looking hard at that space in the stock and I came up with this.  It's not completely finished yet but you can see what I've come up with.  It's made from solid oak, I'm not sure if I'll finish it with clear spar varnish or paint it with bed-liner.  Tell me what you think.

Crosman 2289 Doomsday Backpacker

BigTinBoat

Nice Idea, but I think it might be a bit noise when pumping. Are you gluing it in?

Blackdog

The can will be glued in.  The container is lined on the bottom and lid with a very thin sheet of rubber to make it silent.  I made two of these.  This proved to be a very time consuming project as I wanted a perfect fit.

rangerfredbob

Instead of gluing you might think about placing a few neo magnets (the strong ones, they come in a pack of 10 at harbor freight for like $3) and gluing those in so if you wanted you could pull the tin out and set it on something but it still stayed in place...

Looks good, I was thinking about tackling something like that but have been busy with new house stuff...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Blackdog

Excellent idea Ranger!  I'll look into that.

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: Blackdog on December 17, 2014, 04:27:59 AM
Excellent idea Ranger!  I'll look into that.
X2 !! Go with the bed liner!! :-*

Tater

Very nice idea and nice job on the stock insert.   :-*
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

BillK

Very nice looking shooter and the stock insert is cool.  If you use bed liner, paint it first to get the color right and then just put a very little bed liner on it to get a little texture.  Paint a day or two later to get the finish you want.
I have used too much bed liner on some grips and if too thick it doesn't harden and will later bunch-up and need to be removed/scraped off.  As I learned, bed liner is great for texture but don't use it to color.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

BigErn

Very cool idea and excellent execution! You can also bedline the pellet tin to match.

Blackdog

Quote from: BigErn on December 20, 2014, 03:54:49 PM
Very cool idea and excellent execution! You can also bedline the pellet tin to match.

I screwed up and made two of these so I guess I need to order another Doomsday Backpacker right?  Question: does paint stick to the stock ok?  I have access to the professional 2 part bed liner, I may try it.

My 87 year old dad seen my gun and asked if I could leave it with him for a while so he could have some fun too.

DesertAire

Blackdog

Here's the completed project.  I used JB Weld to mount it and bed line (Rustolium) as a coating.  It matches the pump forearm perfectly. 

I was going to mass produce these but it's way too much work.  I have one more that's milled and ready to be installed, if any of you want it PM me, just pay $10 for postage. 

DavidS

Very nice.   Looks great, and quite practical.

The ones I will grab if I need to go in a hurry (ie tornado flies through town, or similar):
Crosman 101 (My Original).
Crosman 140 (Sears 126-19300).
Crosman 2289.
Daisy 953.
Crosman 1322.
Crosman 1389.

Bud

That piece looks like it grew there. ;)

Blackdog

I had some time so I thought I'd finish it.  I sunk the tin deeper in the stock so it looks and functions better.  I use high power magnets (from an electric toothbrush) to hold the tin in place.  I think I can call this project completed.  If any of you would like to try this let me know as I have one more insert avalible.