• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Just getting started...

Started by oconeedan, January 04, 2015, 02:00:11 AM

oconeedan

My 1322 finally arrives, and I run some pellets through it.  Being a nasty day outside, I was able to get a bit of shooting in but couldn't chronograph it.
A nice pop when it goes off, and a vapor poof!
My pistol definitely likes the JSB 15.9gr over the CPHP.  At 12 paces and propped on a wet deck rail, the JSBs were shooting a nickel size group and the CPHP were a big half dollar size.
I have a steel breech and plan to scope it.  Hence my question...I assume everyone here with a scope is grabbing the top of the pistol and scope when pumping, correct?  It's a bit hard for me to hang onto the pistol grip while pumping the forearm. 
I don't know where I will go with this, but eventually may end up with a longer barrel and a butt stock.
First things first, I'll put on the steel breech, a discovery long nose bolt probe, and work on the trigger.
One more question.  The bottom side of the tube, where the cutout is for the cocking lever, the back end of the cutout is bulged down from when the cutout was stamped.  I can see wear mark where the cocking lever hits it when the forearm is closed.  Is this normal, or do you try to file this down?  Or just stick some felt on it?
Thanks in advance.  Dan
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

bgmcgee

That's pretty normal.  Felt helps especially for quieting the slapping noise down. On my scoped 13xx gun I hold the scope and pump it and it doesn't seem to effect accuracy.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Tater

I've always held it by the pistol grip, never even considered doing it differently but might have to give that a try. Seems like it would be tougher that way though.    ???
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

oconeedan

Quote from: Tater on January 04, 2015, 08:40:21 AM
I've always held it by the pistol grip, never even considered doing it differently but might have to give that a try. Seems like it would be tougher that way though.    ???
When you have arthritis, you do what you have to do. ;)
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

Tater

Quote from: oconeedan on January 04, 2015, 05:49:26 PM
When you have arthritis, you do what you have to do. ;)

Ahh, I understand. Didn't even consider that.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

bgmcgee

All in what you're used to.  It all dependson the day for me I guess. I pump mine both ways but seem to like the scope hold a little better especially when getting into the higher pump count.

oconeedan

I got a break between rain showers, and quickly set up the chronograph.  I tested CPHP and the JSB Exact 15.9. 
As mentioned earlier, the JSB's grouped much better, and the chronograph numbers reflect that.
This is out of the box, stock 1322, before I go messing with it. :)
CPHP - 474.2 fps avg.  ;  18.3 ES ; 5.0 SD
JSB 15.9  - 455.6 Avg. ; 9.8 ES ; 2.6 SD

It looks like this pistol performs as promised, right out of the box.
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

bgmcgee

Looks like you got a good one.  :-*

oconeedan

I installed the steel breech, and the Discovery long nose bolt probe. 
And then shot through the chronograph.  The results surprised me...
The velocity dropped, the average velocity dropped from 455 out of the box, to 443 with steel breech.  BUT, it's more consistent, with lower extreme spread and lower SD.  I'll take consistency over velocity any day.

Not going to waste your time with all of the data, but the JSB Exact 15.9 shot (10 shots, and 10 pumps):
443.8 fps avg
5.2 fps ES
1.5 fps SD :-*

I mounted an old Tasco scope I had laying around, and got it sighted in.  I'll shoot for groups when I can, likely next weekend.
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322