• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Anybody have a Bryan & Associates aluminum breech and/or riser?

Started by JMJinNC, February 18, 2015, 06:21:46 PM

JMJinNC

I'm building a new 1377-based carbine (on a budget  ;)) and I'm looking for a riser breech. I'll be fitting a 1" OD shroud on a free-floating 18" barrel.

My options are a Crosman steel breech with aftermarket/custom riser, Bryan & Associates breech and B&A riser, or BNM Riser breech.

If I'm buying parts, the B&A setup is the cheapest since their aluminum breech is about the same as Crosman's price-wise, and their riser is also the cheapest.

As much as I like BNM's parts (and they're on sale), I'd still need a magazine or single shot tray to go with it - $$$.

So... anyone out their with a Bryan & Associates breech? Please post here or PM me.

Many thanks - JMJ
John

tinker

I been using the BnA riser on a couple of builds. and a breech on one build.  Quality is good and comes with all the hardware.  The extra long breech screw  doesn't have enough of a groove for thin regular screwdriver to tighten though.  You'll need a transfer port too.  The fit and finish is good and matches with a steel breech nicely.

A cheaper way wouldbe to use PVC pipe and make your own riser.  I don't have the size or instructions handy but you can heat / boil the PVC and squeeze it between the breech and tube to get the locations for the holes and slots.  A dremel is all most guys use.  Use 2 layers glued together for the 1/4" thickness.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

Monkeydad1969

I have a B&A riser and I like it a lot.  I am considering making my next riser, since it is pretty straight forward.  I have their Big Bore breech and it's good.  I wish it was steel.  But for the price of their breech, you would be better off getting the steel breech from Crosman.  At least it comes a kit with all the screws, bolt and handle.

Joe
Joe
Aurora, CO.

JMJinNC

Thanks Glen and Joe. I've bookmarked the post about making my own riser using PVC. Pretty straightforward using hose clamps and boiling water, IIRC.

In regards to the B&A breech not being supplied with a bolt or screws, that's actually okay in my case. I have a spare bolt and their breech riser actually comes with the longer screws and hammer pin. That just leaves the transfer port fabrication, and there are many posts on that topic.

A question I forgot to ask was is the aluminum breech just hard anodized? Are you using a brass or stainless steel bolt with it?

I appreciate the feedback.

JMJ
John

Monkeydad1969

My big bore breech came with a brass bolt.

Don't forget pics...we hates when people don't post pics. >:( ;D :-*
Joe
Aurora, CO.

mudduck48

Quote from: Monkeydad1969 on February 19, 2015, 03:37:31 AM
My big bore breech came with a brass bolt.

Don't forget pics...we hates when people don't post pics. >:( ;D :-*
No pictures, it didn't happen. :P :P
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

tinker

I make my own stainless steel bolts and lube with a bit of "Corrosion Block" grease.  It's water proof high pressure lube used primarily for salt water fishing stuff.  Everything corrodes in Hawaii.  :)

Yes the screws are a bit on the long side and need to be cut to length.

Glen
(Tinker)

Pauly5

For the hammer pin, does it need to have the flange around it? I can't think why I couldn't use some hardened steel like a drill shaft or something for when the breech is raised. What do you think? I'm going to try the pvc trick to raise the breech but getting a transfer port will be my biggest hurdle.

Gipper49

Might have to wait if you want to go with the B&A stuff.  I tried to order a breech a week ago and was told they were out of stock and Baker Airguns is not even showing the riser on the webpage anymore.  Not sure when the breech will be back in stock or if they are going to carry the riser anymore..

Brian
"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans"

JMJinNC

Brian, if you look on the B&A site (vs. the Baker site), the riser is now listed. I emailed them, and they said they were updating the sites. Good info on the out-of-stock scenario though.

Pauly5 - the hammer pin doesn't need a flange, and many folks have fabricated straight ones from drill rod.

JMJ
John

Gipper49

Good to know.  I was looking for both items  2 weeks ago when I ordered from them and they did not have them.  Ended up maikng my own riser and going with a breech kit from Crosman.

Instead of using boiling water I clamped the breech and Pvc to a piece of aluminum pipe and heated the pipe with a mini torch....worked great!!!  I did not want to mar up the breech so to me the hose clamp scenario was not going to work.  With a clamp I was able to secure the breech and pvc to the tube without putting a mark on it.  THe method worked great.

Brian

Monkeydad1969

Pauly5,

Use 1/4" vinyl tubing for your TP (transfer port).  The same tubing used for refrigerator water lines.  Just cut to fit and make sure it has enough to crush for a solid seal when you put the breech back on the tube. Cut straight and you shouldn't have any problems.

Joe
Joe
Aurora, CO.

tinker

(Tinker)

JMJinNC

I might fab my own riser then, as I have plenty of black kydex which forms well with a heat gun.

Thanks all. JMJ
John

Gipper49

Just put a light squeeze on it with a clamp and the hole and slot positions all transfer for you.   I just drilled out the holes a little over sized and used a cut off wheel on the dremel for the hammer slot..  Also amazing how well a jumbo sharpie colored the white PVC!!