• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Barrel length

Started by Bud, May 07, 2015, 08:11:25 PM

Bud

Since I found out that PA will probably allow air gun hunting this fall I've decided to put a longer barrel on my 1322. I am undecided as to the length I should use. I am thinking either 16" or 24", any thoughts, or practical observations?   

mudduck48

If you go to the "home" page you will see, up in the right hand corner, a search. Just enter barrel length and you will get a bunch of hits about barrel length. There has been a bunch of tests done regards to barrel length. Now, when you decide which barrel you want, PM Davio here on this forum for the barrel. He has lots and lots of parts for your 1322. ;)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

Has for me I like the 18 in. and the 24 in. barrels !

KevinP

I would go with the 18" ...
Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

I liked the 14.5in barrel myself. Add a ldc and still be able to manouver through brush no problem
closed mouths dont get fed

jSan22

Well im surprised, looks like someone got through, glad to hear it!
Im used to crawling through brush so im comfortable with a 24 barrel. I dont go LDC on my gun so it retains a length of 40 inches, still shorter then my hunting shotguns, which are 43, and 50 inches.
That long barrel will also generate higher velocity, which will extend your effective range, and make the shots flatter. Not to mention increase penetration on game.. And it will reduce sound too.
I personally would also add some weight to the butt, I made a insert that held a shot shell loaded with lead to weigh it down. It worked nicely for increasing weight?

1377x

With a 14.5in barrel on my 1377 in .22 i got more than enough penetration at 45yds not to mention 20fpe with a 21 grain pellet 15ft from the chrony. Longer barrels tend to drag slowing down bullets or pellets.
when i had the 14.5in barrel on my 38fpe disco pistol i made 88yd shoots on nutters sending them flying out of trees. Imho i wont use a barrel longer than 16in. The only thing i like about 24in barrels is the gun seems to quiet down. Again thats just my opinion. I read on rimfirecentral the barrels over 16 or maybe it was 18in slowed the bullet down powder burned up drag from from the rifling equalled loss of speed. Idk if its the same for pellet guns. Quickster has a testing thread here, iirc 17in was optimal
closed mouths dont get fed

Gippeto

Optimal barrel length is based on a variety of variables...there is NO single answer. Add an extra pump, change valve volume/flow/dwell and "optimum" will change. With a pump and dump pumper, you'll generally see an increase in velocity with a longer barrel.

I find 20" to be a good length on a 13xx based rifle, and 14.5" on carbines. As ever, YMMV

Al

beerhippy

Get one from a supplier who re-does the crown.   Factory crowns  on Crosman barrels are generally o.k. but a custom job is nice. Ac custom parts is one such.  Mellon Air as well though he has a backlog and shipping delay.  You may be able to find one here in the member classifieds too.

If you plan to do power mods ask to have the port opened.
Man, that was close!

mudduck48

Davio, here on the forum, does barrels.  8)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

crossliner

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 19, 2015, 06:46:12 PM
Davio, here on the forum, does barrels.  8)

Spot on  :-* AC does fantastic jobs on the barrels too, I bought 6 Crosman 24" barrels from him, all recrowned  :-* I sold them for more than $100 a piece here in the Philippines but retained one  :-*