• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

I like the speed of the .177

Started by beerhippy, September 14, 2015, 04:15:04 AM

beerhippy

Just seems more pleasing to shoot than the .22 for some reason.  And when you get an accurate one they seem very effective on squirrels and pidgeons.  First thing I took with the grey ghost was a crow on a wire at 50 yards.  Nailed a squirrel in the back at the same distance and it dropped dead too.
Man, that was close!

agninja

I agree. But what has been said many times before is that accuracy in airgun hunting is always the most important factor. If you are nailing heads, then it doesn't matter if you have a .177, it'll still kill.
Black air pistols matter.

mudduck48

I like the .22 over the .177 because it is easier to load the pellets and there is more knock down power. :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Cross Pistol Packer

If only more airguns were made in .20 and ammo not so hard to find :)
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

ped

pellet choice is getting better ray and barrel blanks are easier to get these days ray,just ordered two weihrauch blanks from silco
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

beerhippy

Quote from: Cross Pistol Packer on September 16, 2015, 08:46:09 PM
If only more airguns were made in .20 and ammo not so hard to find :)

AoA has a fair selection of .20 pellets.  Their prices are better than Pyramid too.  I guess the challenge is to get max velocity in .22 on the 1322 or 22xx platforms.  Today I decreased the volume in my 14" 1322 valve and got a good increase in speed. Lighter valve spring and heavier hammer spring. Got 600 fps with a 16 gr. pellet on 20 pumps.  Dumped all the air too.  So for a serious hunting pistol that would work.
Man, that was close!

agninja

Quote from: beerhippy on September 16, 2015, 11:13:13 PM
AoA has a fair selection of .20 pellets.  Their prices are better than Pyramid too.  I guess the challenge is to get max velocity in .22 on the 1322 or 22xx platforms.  Today I decreased the volume in my 14" 1322 valve and got a good increase in speed. Lighter valve spring and heavier hammer spring. Got 600 fps with a 16 gr. pellet on 20 pumps.  Dumped all the air too.  So for a serious hunting pistol that would work.
Decreased or increased the valve volume?

beerhippy

Decreased.  Used a 5/16" long 1/4" nylon bushing nested inside the valve spring.  On a short barreled gun the higher pressure is worth more than volume.   The valve spring is a stock trigger spring and the hammer spring is stock with a 1/4" long bushing under it in the end cap.  Need to cock it before pumping.  Gun also has a poly port and the barrel port is 5/32".
Man, that was close!

agninja

Quote from: beerhippy on September 17, 2015, 04:24:35 AM
Decreased.  Used a 5/16" long 1/4" nylon bushing nested inside the valve spring.  On a short barreled gun the higher pressure is worth more than volume.   The valve spring is a stock trigger spring and the hammer spring is stock with a 1/4" long bushing under it in the end cap.  Need to cock it before pumping.  Gun also has a poly port and the barrel port is 5/32".
I guess I don't understand how you can reduce valve volume and overpump to 20. I always thought the point was to pump and dump as much air as possible. As far as I know the only reason to reduce valve volume is to decrease co2 usage in co2 powered guns. I've not heard much about decreasing the valve volume on pumpers, but I could be mistaken.

beerhippy

Some weeks back I tried increasing the volume by removing some threads on the male side of a valve.  Actually lost speed with 10 pumps on the same 14" .22 barrel.   With an 18" .177 barrel on 10 pumps it gained about 30 fps if I recall.  Try it for yourself.  None of the changes are permanent and can be reversed.  If you are math inclined you could calculate the ideal valve volume for a given  barrel length and bore.
Man, that was close!

1377x

I had more runners using .22 pellets even with good shot placement . Zero runners using.177
Just my experience and lessons learned. Believing the fpe the better I quickly found our otherwise
closed mouths dont get fed

agninja

Quote from: beerhippy on September 17, 2015, 07:06:54 AM
Some weeks back I tried increasing the volume by removing some threads on the male side of a valve.  Actually lost speed with 10 pumps on the same 14" .22 barrel.   With an 18" .177 barrel on 10 pumps it gained about 30 fps if I recall.  Try it for yourself.  None of the changes are permanent and can be reversed.  If you are math inclined you could calculate the ideal valve volume for a given  barrel length and bore.
But what if you pump more than 10 times. Maybe once that extra volume you created gets enough pressure then your fps will increase. That's kind of the whole point of the FTP and larger valve volume, it's so you can overpump.

beerhippy

It's more about how many times you pump to get to a certain pressure.  An 18" tube will benefit from more volume where a 12" tube will waste additional valve volume.  You have 10" barreled pumpers so increasing the valve volume is going to cause you to pump more for the same speed.  If you reduced the volume you would increase the speed for the same number of pumps.  And pumping to 13 would give you even more.

The nylon spacer I nested in the valve spring has a hole down it's center.  I ordered some 1/4" delrin rod to try and I can see how that small change affects the speed on the same number of pumps.
Man, that was close!

beerhippy

Hey AG, took awhile but I found the post that spurred me on to try reduced volume.  My results are very similar:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1150373061/Modded+1322+results-+All+shots+are+from+empty%2C
Man, that was close!

agninja

Quote from: beerhippy on September 21, 2015, 11:14:06 PM
Hey AG, took awhile but I found the post that spurred me on to try reduced volume.  My results are very similar:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/thread/1150373061/Modded+1322+results-+All+shots+are+from+empty%2C
Interesting, from what I gathered there is a threshold at 13 pumps.  Though the chart wasn't color labeled so I couldn't tell if the reduced volume valve is the one that benefits before or after 13 pumps.