2240 HPA valve and TP combinations

Started by Poorman Plinker, September 29, 2015, 09:42:00 PM

Poorman Plinker

2240 HPA valve and TP combinations as first posted on the Crosman/PoormanPlinker Mods 2240/1377 facebook group.
8)
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

Poorman Plinker

2240 HPA valve and TP combinations as first posted on the Crosman/PoormanPlinker Mods 2240/1377 facebook group.
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

1377x

Now I want to see this info include a disco valve just to see what happens then a modified disco valve
closed mouths dont get fed

Poorman Plinker

When I measured the volume of the Disco and 2240 valve bodies I did not discern a noticable difference. The Disco valve is longer and has more material on the stern and that could change the stroke length but not significantly. I did use a trimmed 2240 stem in the study and the use of the Disco stem would increase the valve volume and flow rate... I will measure that out of personal curiosity, but I am guessing 1cc.
So far by using 1.4Kpsi I have not had to upgrade the valve stem. And, of course I am using the Disco valve head to create the HPA valve. 8)

1377x

The disco valve also covers the bleed hole on the bottom of a 22xx tube creating  an air cushion that slows the hammer down. Iicr the bleed hole may not be on the disco tube or further back. I used a challenger hammer ,its flat on two sides and has a screw in the center to adjust the stroke length .The screw is a 1-4x28 iirc. Ground the cup on the set screw flat,recessed it a 16th of an inch left it there

Poorman Plinker

Right you are sir,  :-*
And the Disco valve also covers the action screw hole in a standard configuration. In the past have taken to filing down the top and bottom of the Disco valves to accomodate for the bleed hole and the the action screw. That said, I will probably end up installing the 2240 valve bodies in my builds for the following reasons: Stronger material, longer striker stroke, no machining for bleed hole and action screw, no need to buy a new striker, and most of all it is easier for me to drill one hole through the tube and valve for pinning rather than try and match the existing holes in the valve body.
My research and ideas are directed toward the home builder who does not have access to machine shop equipment and is looking for cheap mods. Though there are many superior approaches to mods than the ideas I present... I am searching for the simplest effective solutions to various modding concepts.
Thanks for sharing your build concept... I also have two builds like that at this time. 8)

1377x

I had a 70fpe .25 disco. The way the stroke was increased was by shortening the custom valve stem the hammer was a custom rear cocking hammer and the valve stems top hat was short made of Delrin and stainless steel. There are so many ways to change the length of the hammer strokes on these guns but at some point it bottoms out. I followed rsterne of airgunhome,car and Gta he personally provided me with details that worked out great for me. Lloyd Sikes was also a great help doing the machining on my bottle gun. I'm glad there are folks out here willing to share info instead of selling it or making you be part of the inner circle to get info and parts

Poorman Plinker

Thanks for the tip about shortening down the valve stem... good point about it eventually bottoming out. I guess I will find out by trial and error just how short I can go.
As far as info goes: Mr. Sterne has been very generous to me too. I try to pass along my findings and help those in any of the facebook Crosman groups of which I am a member. I find the forums very difficult to enter and exit and post photos and there are just toooooo many posts to follow them all... Anyway there are more experienced members in both the forums and fb groups than I. 8)

airriflenut

Poorman, you mentioned pinning with only one screw rather than trying to match up holes.  Give this a try....

Tube diameter, .875" multiplied by Pi, 3.14.  2.7475".  Divide that by 4 (TP, 3 screw holes), .686" (rounded figure).  If you have digital calipers lay out a piece of masking tape and make a starting mark.  Put a mark at each point at .686".  Line up one mark as centered as you can at either the TP or bottom screw hole, now you know where to drill for your pin holes.

Also, I haven't found a need to drill a "bleed hole" in a Disco tube or a 2250 or 2260 tube with a Disco valve installed.  That smaller hole behind the screw hole will bleed the compression from the striker.  In one of my earliest posts I discussed the "striker compressed air" in a 1377 tube which has no extra hole.  I drilled a .125" hole immediately behind the valve in the side of the tube.  Why the side of the tube...to prove that there was air compression caused by the striker with tissue over the hole.  I cannot make any claim of improved performance since I didn't have a crony at the time.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

1377x

The hammer in a 1377 is small enough to let air escape probably through the pin slot. In my 2250 and 2300  the disco valve covered most the bleed hole. A small piece of the valve was removed and velocity increased . The valves stems were shortened and the pin slot lengthened to match. I think the challenger p-rod hammer is flat on 2 sides why? ??? Idk could be to stop an air cushion  and it has a stroke adjuster built in. imo that's a go-to hammer for those reasons.

39M

Fascinating stuff. I was reading on the TKO site about how he makes PCP's with various tubes and had some DIY instructions. I think he used Disco parts in the tube, but I can't remember.
I kind of had this idea for a 2260 tube with a slot cut for pump linkage on a 1377. I don't know if it's long enough for the 2100 linkage, but I figured it might be an easier mod than the 2100 tube.

Poorman Plinker

Thanks Airiflenut for describing your experience and to clairify, for others who might want to go HPA, I mentioned using the brass valve and drilling one hole rather than match existing holes in the Disco valve. So what I meant is drilling one hole directly into both the tube and valve (not necessariarly drilling for only one "pin"). Sorry about the confusion.  8)

1377x

Quote from: 39M on October 14, 2015, 08:50:19 AM
Fascinating stuff. I was reading on the TKO site about how he makes PCP's with various tubes and had some DIY instructions. I think he used Disco parts in the tube, but I can't remember.
I kind of had this idea for a 2260 tube with a slot cut for pump linkage on a 1377. I don't know if it's long enough for the 2100 linkage, but I figured it might be an easier mod than the 2100 tube.
its been done with a disco, a 2260 the issue will be the roll stamp. Someone does sell a replacement valve face that extends past the roll stamp making a safer conversion for hpa use