• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

I'm at a loss and very frustrated (1377 issue)

Started by Tater, December 27, 2015, 12:54:00 AM

oldgearhead

Starting to sound like a barrel problem. Either the leade or crown are miss-aligned, or it's bent...
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

Tater

Quote from: oldgearhead on December 27, 2015, 02:13:28 PM
Starting to sound like a barrel problem. Either the leade or crown are miss-aligned, or it's bent...

For what it's worth, when I free floated the barrel it seemed centered over the tube. It shot accurately with the adjustable rings too.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

JMJinNC

I have a homemade laser bore sighter I can loan you, if you want. PM me your address.

JMJ
John

Tater

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

airmec

Quote from: oldgearhead on December 27, 2015, 02:13:28 PM
... crown ... miss-aligned...

FWIW, I had this same problem once, when I was learning how to re-crown a barrel. I made my crown slightly off-center and the barrel shot consistently to the right, with good groups.
Too many projects, not enough time

1377 x2
2240 - bone stock
2240 - 12'' barrel, sbk, MIM sight/front stock blade
2240 - 10'' LW .177, sbk, Williams sight/front FO, 2-stage trigger and more
357-6
C41
Benjamin EB22 & HB22

Tater

Quote from: airmec on December 28, 2015, 01:57:50 AM
FWIW, I had this same problem once, when I was learning how to re-crown a barrel. I made my crown slightly off-center and the barrel shot consistently to the right, with good groups.

Thanks, I'll look closer at it.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Gary

Jerry, I read your original post on this where you said POI was 4" low and 2" right. Here's another thought. I'm inclined to think it is more ring related. If you're using a medium or high set of rings, go to set of low rings and you will get the vertical POA closer to POI this way. I would also check the ring alignment to be sure they are not pushing the scope down and right. If they are in alignment, then you can shim the bottom rear ring half to push the scope up and left. Just be careful not to use a shim too thick or it could cause the rings to dent the scope. I've used layers of scotch tape to do this in the past. (I'm guessing your goal is to keep the reticle adjustments centered as much as possible.) And again, Burris Signature rings have inserts to correct such problems.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Tater

Quote from: Gary on December 28, 2015, 02:33:51 PM
Jerry, I read your original post on this where you said POI was 4" low and 2" right. Here's another thought. I'm inclined to think it is more ring related. If you're using a medium or high set of rings, go to set of low rings and you will get the vertical POA closer to POI this way. I would also check the ring alignment to be sure they are not pushing the scope down and right. If they are in alignment, then you can shim the bottom rear ring half to push the scope up and left. Just be careful not to use a shim too thick or it could cause the rings to dent the scope. I've used layers of scotch tape to do this in the past. (I'm guessing your goal is to keep the reticle adjustments centered as much as possible.) And again, Burris Signature rings have inserts to correct such problems.

Hope you get it sorted out.

The rings I have are low and I get the same POI with a red dot on a one piece mount. I do have adjustable rings similar to the Burris but they don't fit the scope. I'd rather not have to compensate for the POI being off by as much as it is with rings.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Gary

I understand and I'm sure interested to hear the solution when you find it. This is something we can all learn from. :-*

Tater

Update:
Using a nice boresighter a member here lent me (thanks John), the dot was pointing pretty much exactly where the pellets are hitting. Low and left. Would this narrow it down to either to tube or steel breech?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

DaveB50

It would seem that way. Do you have another barrel you can try? If not, even a plastic breech (don't we all have one or more of these laying around?)will show whether it's the barrel.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

1377x

If I had access to my parts I would send you a breech and barrel. I have a 12" .177 barrel. Iirc you got the barrel the same time I got mine from the same place. My barrel shoots just like the rest of them poa/poi on point.
Is the barrel a disco or crosman? If it has a flat on top it's a disco barrel
If the barrel is placed on a flat surface then rolled, would a bend be noticeable?
Put a white piece of paper place it on one end of the barrel flash a light down the other side. Look at the rifling if the slightest bend is present the rifling will show it. I'm going to find a link on YouTube hopefully it's educational enough to make us bent barrel experts,lol.

When checking the rifling,
The rifling will not be concentric where there is a bend
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

I do have the original plastic breech.
Ed, it is the same barrel I bought when you got yours. It's been a while, but I believe I rolled it a while back and it seemed alright. Ditto with looking through the barrel at the rifling but I'll check both again.
Not sure if it has a flat or not but I'll check. Would the flat be where a rear sight would go or somewhere else?

By way, I'm having a few health issues. Nothing major but it might take some time before I can troubleshoot further but I'll update when I do. Maybe tomorrow if time permits.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

You are correct about the flat. My 12" barrel is a 1760 barrel but for the life of me can't remember if yours was the same or a disco.
Mellonair's turnaround time was less than a week the last I checked. Gotta order some parts from him before tax season gets him way behind again. I want o see this issue corrected, you want to enjoy the gun instead of being frustrated with it and doing more troubleshooting than trigger time. Hopefully he has barrels. They are very reasonably priced.
I'll give you the 12" .177 I have and get one from him
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Ed, that is very generous of you. I'm not sure if it's the barrel though yet. I'm not sure of the cheapest, easiest way to determine if it's the tube or breech.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs